The Sewing Place

V8875 - going to a wedding

Ravingdoll

V8875 - going to a wedding
« on: January 07, 2018, 14:33:02 PM »
I am going to a very formal vintage style wedding in London at the beginning of March and I thought about this number.  I got given the handbag and gloves for Christmas (very 1950s and grown up!) so I thought I might use them as a starting point for colours.  Now the coat has a detachable collar (this is quite an ambitious project for me as in there are quite a few sewing techniques I’ve not tried before but I have the Chief Quality Controller drafted in for supervision (She’s back from servicing her broomstick * visiting friends and family and timetable for making this has been put in the calendar, oh yes, nothing left to chance here!).   Now my first thought is to make the coat in a mustard rather than the obvious brown, what does anyone else think?  And for the dress go for some shades of yellow, does it seem a bit too ‘twee’ to make the collar in the same fabric as the dress or does that seem a good idea?  I would be very interested in your opinions/ideas. Obviously the handbag isn’t set in stone but it seemed a good starting point for focussing my mind on the colour scheme. 

*she’s been to Burnley which I think is famous for witches? 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 14:34:44 PM by Ravingdoll »

UttaRetch

Re: V8875 - going to a wedding
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 14:42:59 PM »
I love the pattern and even like

the sample sewn up by Vogue when it reissued the pattern.  I see gold taffeta and a toning floral.

Ravingdoll

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 14:52:48 PM »
I’ve seen that in a magazine, it looks elegant.  I did even wonder about going for an emerald green.  I suit the jewel and primary colours, the worst colours on me are apricot/peachy/coral type ones. Gold would be good.   

SkoutSews

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 15:08:06 PM »
Mustard sounds better than brown, would tone well with the bag and show it off to advantage. Possibly orange, depending on the exact shade and whether it is a colour you wear? I love orange.

Using the dress fabric for the collar would give a proper formal outfit look which works for a wedding, tieing the whole thing together. It would depend on the actual fabrics, I think. But if you want to wear the coat separately for other things  it might work better if you have a self-coloured collar.

Just a few meandering thoughts as I sit here recovering from the seasonal bugs!

Vegegrow

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 15:40:35 PM »
 I think it depends on your skin tone I couldn't wear mustard or gold I could do brown or Rust.. Would the dress be plain or patterned?
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

maliw

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 15:46:45 PM »
Bronze and cream? Emerald would go with the bag and gloves and ?toning shoes.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Ravingdoll

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 15:54:01 PM »
Mustard sounds better than brown, would tone well with the bag and show it off to advantage. Possibly orange, depending on the exact shade and whether it is a colour you wear? I love orange.

Using the dress fabric for the collar would give a proper formal outfit look which works for a wedding, tieing the whole thing together. It would depend on the actual fabrics, I think. But if you want to wear the coat separately for other things  it might work better if you have a self-coloured collar.

Just a few meandering thoughts as I sit here recovering from the seasonal bugs!

Hope you get better SkoutSews.  Orange is a definite thought, although for me it would have to be a ‘proper’ orange.  I am very pale skinned with dark hair and eyes.  The collar is detachable so I could make it in the same fabric the dress and then replace afterwards if it was something to wear separately. 

I am not going to go floral for the dress, so it will have to be either an unusual design (I have got some fabric with orange flamingoes for all that they are meant to be pink!) or plain.  Muv reckons I should make it plain as everyone else will do the typical 50s thing of big roses etc and I will ‘look more chic’ if I buck the trend.  But she keeps doing that pretend to pull a zip over her mouth because I told her off for launching straight into what fabric I should be using and when we were going out to buy it when at that stage I only said that I was THINKING about making it! 

Ooh I’ve just seen your post Maliw, bronze and cream sounds good, I like that one .......

sewingj

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 16:09:49 PM »
I love the way it has been done on the pattern.  I hesitate to disagree with Muv but I don`t think you should have a plain dress - it could look a bit ordinary when you take the coat off.

Personally I love green but some people are a bit funny about it being worn at weddings.  Come to think of it - daughter did wear green at her brother`s wedding and they`ve just split up so perhaps there is something to it!

maliw

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 16:18:20 PM »
The dress could a plain colour but with a pattern woven into the fabric.

maliw

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 16:21:49 PM »
I've got DD's wedding this year and I'm (supposed to be) making a dress in black, white and cerise with a cerise jacket. it won't be a formal wedding but those will be my colours (I think), I don't do wishy washy.

Ravingdoll

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 16:24:57 PM »
I love the way it has been done on the pattern.  I hesitate to disagree with Muv but I don`t think you should have a plain dress - it could look a bit ordinary when you take the coat off

No please feel free, I`m asking for opinions.  Her tastes have always been much more classic and simple than mine.  Obviously if I did go plain it would be a silk dupion or something, not just a plain cotton.  It's a very traditional wedding, it's a joint celebration with the bride's grandparents who will be celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary hence the 1950s vibe, at the bride's request they're recreating as much of the day as is possible, we're invited by the parents, the invitation states a wedding breakfast at 1pm, it's in a marquee in the parents' garden, the bride and groom will be leaving at 5pm and carriages at 7pm (which is when I assume we are supposed to leave).  So depending on the weather I may not get to take my coat off much at all!!  But it's a funny time of year weatherwise, so all eventualities must be catered for.  I didn't know that about green, but better keep that in mind under the circumstances I guess! 

Catllar

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 20:46:43 PM »
jewel colours? how about a shot dupioni with emerald green and gold?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 20:50:43 PM by Catllar »
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Bowerbird

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 22:19:38 PM »
I love the idea of the detachable collar-you can make one from each fabric.

This is going to be a fabulous adventure to watch from the sidelines,  :toast: and I love that Muv is so enthusiastic.

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 22:47:33 PM »
Mustard/yellow/orange etc are definitely not my colours! so no comments on that, though bronze and cream sound quite nice.  Dupion or shot dupion would be classy.

The bag and gloves are lovely :)  and so very 50's.  Your shoes should match the piping on the gloves - is it dark brown? 

You will also need a hat - no respectable woman then would have gone anywhere near to a wedding without something on her head!  If it suits you a pillbox style would be good - and if you want to introduce a bright colour it could be in the hat.  A rule of thumb was three from shoes/hat/bag/gloves to match and one to contrast.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ravingdoll

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 00:46:30 AM »
Thank you Brenda, that’s interesting re the matching/contrasting.  Weren’t nails  and lips supposed to match too - although I am not sure why if gloves were supposed to be worn so much?  It’s going to be an interesting make.  Muv is positively beside herself with getting it all planned; although I have still been doing a lot of sewing, what with a broken engagement, moving house and all the work that entailed, health scare etc and all within the last 15 months I’ve been keeping within my comfort zone.  She can’t wait to get onto detachable collars, horsehair braid hems, internal belts and also dying to teach me about making separate plackets with different buttons for various garments.   
And I can’t believe that I am still awake at half midnight when I have to be up at 5.30am.  I can never sleep when I have been off work and about to start an early.  :angry:  And then when the alarm goes off I’ll be really sleepy.   |O