The Sewing Place

Designs/styles to suit an apple shape

datcat23

Designs/styles to suit an apple shape
« on: January 07, 2018, 23:59:58 PM »
AKA - I am sick of the stuff I sew, but not sure which direction to go in.

The last few years I have gone the classic A-line skirt, with a knit fitted shirt, for my work mainstay's.  This has worked well, but it is getting a bit stale. 

I am keen to try other styles, but I am needing some ideas on what best suits an apple shaped body (ie: big boobs, big belly, relatively narrow thighs, flat butt).  And for the record, I do have a shirt dress that works reasonably well, so that will be my main summer sew this year.  But, I could do with other styles, hence my question.

So suggest away, and thanks in advance. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Ellabella

Re: Designs/styles to suit an apple shape
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 09:56:06 AM »
Following with great interest as you have just described my body shape perfectly.

I need to stop sewing things just because I like the pattern and concentrate more on what works best for me.

Plus need to work on becoming a slightly smaller apple, more a Granny Smith rather than my current Bramley.

Missie

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 11:43:44 AM »
Hi Dani,

Have a look at http://40plusstyle.com/how-to-dress-the-apple-body-shape/

Sorry can't work out how to do it as a clickable link!  It's not so easy on this site!

Nevis5

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 15:23:38 PM »
Missie, that link worked perfectly for me, thank you!  I'm another confused apple.  I do follow most of the 'rules' on that site, but what I struggle with is knowing what looks OK on me, and not as though I'm trying to be 16 again.  I love tunics and leggings but when I go out in them my legs feel exposed and I feel embarrassed.  Hmm.  Might need to google some other sites along those lines....

lakaribane

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 16:27:43 PM »
Here's another ressource! I like that she uses outfit images and body shape photos of Celebrities and Real People in the initial posts.

https://insideoutstyleblog.com/2008/11/body-shapes-explained-o-shape-apple.html

I've asked a couple of questions and she replies quickly (given the time difference!)

justpottering

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 09:09:51 AM »
I too have been researching styles that suit apple shapes for my new wardrobe.
In the past I have taken patterns that I like and adjusted the tummy area and it has worked very well, always using separates, trousers and tops. I also have to alter the back seams or if cut on the fold, change the angle of the pattern piece accordingly as I have a narrow back.
I always choose the size that fits my upper bust measurement as this means that the shoulders are the right size for me, and do a FBA if required which usually does.
When making trousers, I always make the centre front longer than the pattern says, by using the slash and pivot method as this gives me the extra space needed in the front, and I have to take in the back seam and sometimes fold the part that covers the backside to lose some fabric here.
So my plans for the new wardrobe include
shirt/blouses with the above adjustments made, and although I love to wear cotton it is unforgiving for a large tummy, so a softer more drapey fabric is better, I have investigated ruffling on the tummy part but my experiments to me emphasise the tummy not disguises it, so I've binned that idea.
I plan to make trousers that are wide legged, which is a shame considering my pins are probably the most lovely and shapely part of me, but if trousers are more fitted on me, it just emphasises the size and shape of my body - a bit like two sticks of celery sticking out of a carrier bag  :S , boot leg trousers work well on me as well because the boot flare adds balance to the wider middle
If I make skirts, there are two options, one being a fairly straight skirt again with the tummy adjustment by making the centre front longer, and stopping on the knee, and the other which I made for partywear was a lined (attached at the waist only) chiffon skirt with a flirty hem on the knee. The trouble with skirts is that they don't always look so good with the longer length tops that I like to hide my tummy area, although I bought one at Christmas that also had a flirty bottom to it which worked after I had taken it in on the back
No way would I wear something that is totally fitted, you can do 'fitted style' especially at the sides to add shape at the waist, but tight over tummy is a definite no-no for me, but again if the back is smaller (sometimes I find the back of a pattern to be the right size and only alter the front) then the garment is not just tent looking!
Also this type of alteration does not make me look pregnant!
I will add to this cardigans that are shorter than the blouse/shirt, stopping at what would be my natural waistline if only I could find it  :P
I like the look this creates, again a good fit cardi, sewn or knitted, takes the emphasis away from the tummy adjustment made, I don't fasten the cardi, although I do add buttons one, because they can be an embellishment and two, because it gives the impression that I could do it up if I wanted to but choose not to (my cardi's are again often choosen/made to fit my shoulders and back therefore don't look great stretched over my tummy to do up) I also 'fill the gap' if needed with a scarf - I like scarves they are my best friend! Some of the blouses I plan to make have the bow at the neck which I intend to make long enough to act as a scarf down my middle
I do like longer cardi's too, wear them at home all the time, but with the longer tops I think shorter ones look better, as does a waistcoat (when I was younger), and the thing with a long cardi is they can be a bit flowy which is nice in the front and a tent in the back.
I also like plain colours for the trousers and skirts, and cardi's but colourful/patterns for the shirts and blouses and tops, which in warmer weather get worn minus the cardi of course.
When I get my act together I will post some patterns that I intend to use to expand on my 'theory'  :ninja: I intend to make several of each to mix and match and as my life is mostly casual they shall be made to suit that, although smart is doable too if needed.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 09:03:48 AM by justpottering »
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

justpottering

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 09:25:09 AM »
meant to add that although the advice and the fashion these days is to show/emphasise the cleavage - my cleavage is my own affair thank you very much and I keep it to myself!
It's true that high necked garments don't suit me, and necklines that suit me well are cowl type on nice tops which I wear sometimes, but the most important thing again is a good fit at the neckline which when using a pattern that fits high bust and shoulders does every time.
My shirts and blouses will be collarless (apart from the bowed one) because collars don't particularly suit me I also like granddad collars  :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 09:44:13 AM by justpottering »
JP

Lyn-J

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 13:53:28 PM »
Speaking as someone who turns into an apple when I put on weight. I found that the best shapes for tops was reaching to the top of the thigh, but then I was left with a vast amount of fabric shouting look at me, I found that using prints helped with this.
Also look at the Ottobre Magazines for ideas as the put their designs on real people.

jen

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 13:54:16 PM »
I followed a link from the other place to a designer who does you tubes about clothes. Looking back through the archives I found that she had done one on plus size and one on how to hide the belly. I'm not plus size, but have a DD who fluctuates in size ranges with the second of those issues (well, to be honest I have that issue too). I haven't got the link, but if you google justineleconte youtube you'll probably find it. There were some style hints I thought were worth running past DD. Might be worth a look?

Sewbee

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 16:23:40 PM »
Hi Dani,

Sorry can't work out how to do it as a clickable link!  It's not so easy on this site!

That's a great article. I have a few of those "coatigans" and they are the best for minimising a thick middle

Morgan

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 11:30:33 AM »
AKA - I am sick of the stuff I sew, but not sure which direction to go in . . .

Lots of us feel like that from time to time.  I never know whether I'm bored with the clothes or bored with me or more correctly just bored and need to change my routine and activities.
Whatever silhouettes and garment styles you consider, you still have to remain true to your personal taste preferences if you're going to feel comfortable wearing new looks.  Someone who prefers simple styling and soft elegance will never feel comfortable wearing a dramatic/creative, structured look.

Whatever new patterns or looks you try, are you ready to face the pattern fitting part of the process?  That's the bit that helps moderate my enthusiasm so I don't swamp and overwhelm my mojo with too much pattern fitting in one go.

Here's a suggestion to consider -
Might you be able to do something with Simplicity 2232

justpottering

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 21:42:33 PM »
I like a few of khaliah Ali patterns have used them in the past with adjustments of course.
I also like palazzo pants  :loveit:
I think the high waist seam might work on that one, although I'm not a dress person, I do like the blouse/shirt.
Talking of which, one link to advice that I read talked about trousers for Apples needing to hang straight from the waist - this is so true and hate it that many (most) patterns and all ready to wear trousers look like jodhpurs on me with the shape made for pear shaped women which must be a majority shape? Or is it that only pears need to buy/make trousers and skirts?  ;)

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 21:50:20 PM by justpottering »
JP

DementedFairy

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 23:00:38 PM »
I'm a barrel of apples, with boobs, no bum, and good legs.  I'm also a short arse.  It's easy to get swamped with fabric when trying to hide a belly.  I get annoyed lately with all the current shirt/top styles which are really long in the back [presumably to hide bums] but then come up too high in the front and show off excessive lady-luggage. [It's a thing, I have found, post menopause]
I could do with the reverse, as my bum is still neat enough to be worth showing off from time to time!
I'm currently very fond of art teacher looks, and I think all the angles and asymmetry helps to blur your actual shape.  Lots of colour and pattern of course too!
Tunics with straight skirts, leggings or other trousers.  I prefer bootcut if wearing heels, and would love to wear very flowing trousers, but I think it's too much on a short figure if wearing flats[well it is on mine!]
I don't do rules about shapes or colours, only going on what I like, but I've been trying to be more open minded about trying new things out ever since my first V1410 [which was NOT my style when I bought it]

The main thing as mentioned below is not to be too baggy everywhere- make sure garments fit neatly above the bust, and if possible, let the slim bits [legs and hips maybe] do some talking for you!
C'est moi!

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 10:04:22 AM »

I don't do rules about shapes or colours, only going on what I like,

Exactly!

Once you get to 'a certain age' you should have worked out which colours you like and which you don't and nearly always instinct is to like the ones which suit your colouring.  Even if mustard, ochre, olive, dirty nappy and diarrhea were to become the really 'in' colours of the season I'm unlikely to wear them.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 16:12:21 PM »
Hi Dani,

Thank you for that link Missie, it was really useful!  :loveit:
Apparently I am a banana!