The Sewing Place

Uh oh you may have won me over...

Francesca

Uh oh you may have won me over...
« on: January 08, 2018, 19:45:13 PM »
OK then, how do I start?!

I am quite pleased with my little BOM block and how it went together really quite nicely. I had a voucher for a fabric place that does a lot of quilting cottons so I've only gone and bought some  :P

I've got two directional prints, two non-directional, and a bright solid and two light solids. 8 FQs in total. I am sure I can buy more because I have no idea what size I want at the moment if I'm honest, something to throw over the back of a small sofa.

Looking at some blocks. When I tried quilting before I tried strips and that is where it went wrong... so I think I need to start with blocks? Anyone got any good beginner blocks to try?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 12:06:16 PM by Francesca »

Vegegrow

Re: Uh oh you may have won be over...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 19:52:03 PM »
Well I started with a disappearing 9 patch   you sew 9 squares together into a block and the cut it vertically and horizontally through the middle you then re arrange the pieces and sew back together it looks complicated but isn't
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 20:33:00 PM »
I quite like that... I like the "log cabin" looking ones. It's directional so I think I need to pay attention to that but it's not too bad if some are upside down? I like triangles and rectangles. Not too keen on the ones that look like other things (focy etc) for this fabric because the fabric already has animals on it.

I was thinking if I can make 6 or 8 nice blocks then I can stack them until I've got a nice enough width? I can buy more fabric, but I only want something small as I don't want to get overwhelmed.

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 20:52:06 PM »
This is lovely... but I have no idea where to start! Is this super difficult?

Imi does the best tutorials, I love the layout they're so easy to read through  :loveit:

Oh and this one is lovely too and might work well because it's just straight strips no triangles? Plus I have a few colours. So I could do blocks and then put a cream border strip in the middle.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 20:56:52 PM by Francesca »

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 22:27:27 PM »
The top pic is lots of different blocks all made with the same group of fabrics - and the blocks are all made with half-square triangles - aka Iminie's HSTathon.

The second pic is all the same block (log cabin but fairly wide strip) but in lots of different fabrics.

In both cases the blocks are all the same size and joined with sashing - continuous strips in one direction and shorter bits to fill in in the opposite direction on the log cabin one, short strips in both directions with square 'cornerstones' in the first pic.

Normally the advice is to start with a block (or blocks) which only has squares and rectangles and to leave the triangles for later, but you are an experienced sewist and I can see from your 'laydee' block that you coped OK with the diagonal seams, so choose a block you like and go for it.

There are squillions of different blocks out there on the web, Mr Google is your friend.

Accurate cutting and accurate seams is the secret of good patchwork.
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 22:31:22 PM »
I do prefer the look of the triangles and I'm not too bad with diagonals... is there a book or some sort of pattern I can buy that would have a selection of instructions for each of those triangley ones? Or if not all just some.

I like this one best... would it look odd to have a quilt made out of the same block design but with a different arrangement of colours?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 22:34:46 PM by Francesca »

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 22:31:41 PM »
Rail Fence is a good pattern to start with, very versatile and no triangles.  Just three, four or five strips joined together to make a square, but those squares can be joined together in lots of different ways .
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rail+fence+quilt+block&client=firefox-b&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjWiYmNtcnYAhWHK1AKHeuiCXUQ_AUICigB&biw=1320&bih=658
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 22:36:56 PM »
I use

https://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Traditional-Contemporary-Quilt-Blocks/dp/1844485579/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515450814&sr=8-1&keywords=100+traditional+and+contemporary+quilt+blocks

quite a bit - it shows a single block and four blocks joined together to get an idea of how the finished item will look.

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 22:47:07 PM »
Ooh, that's a nice book.  Can't have too many quilting books (although I'm working on it).

The second quilt I ever made was a sort of starburst, made up of diamonds.  I know now that it should have been a nightmare in terms of matching points and corners, but nobody told me then, and it was fine, apart from the very centre, which I ended up applique-ing something over.

It has just occurred to me that all the quilts I have made have been either strip-pieced, sewn together one patch at a time (like the hexagon one), applique or trapunto.  The one I have planned next is going to be blocks though.  Maybe I should see if I can discipline myself into doing the monthly blocks.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewbee

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 07:19:47 AM »
I do prefer the look of the triangles and I'm not too bad with diagonals... is there a book or some sort of pattern I can buy that would have a selection of instructions for each of those triangley ones? Or if not all just some.

I like this one best... would it look odd to have a quilt made out of the same block design but with a different arrangement of colours?

I'd be interested in book recommendations, too. For beginners. :D

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 08:46:31 AM »
would it look odd to have a quilt made out of the same block design but with a different arrangement of colours?

Not at all .... Those are all HST's .... just joined in that particular arrangement .....

This is the HSTathon in all its glory at the FOQ.

The HSTathon or
203 days of madness

King size Quilt
80" x 90"

72 HST blocks
comprising 16 HST's in each one
= 1152 HST's in total.

Using approximately 66 different fabrics across 4 colourways.

The arrangement you like will be in there ... see if you can find it!

Oh and BTW ... It was all Quilty's fault!!!!

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Francesca

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 10:27:35 AM »
Wow that is amazing!

I quite like the idea of this:

Some sort of HST block, maybe two different types so as not to overwhelm myself. I like the diamonds, and I also like the pinwheels.

I like the solid pale colour border with the little squares in each corner. I have baby pink in the parcel and I've got 1/2m of it (rest just FQs) so maybe that can be my background. (Room theme is beige/duck egg/pink). I also bought some lovely "persimmon" orange which would go nice as those corners. Then the blocks in my pattern + sky blue?

Does this sound achievable? I can buy my fabric in dribs and drabs.

It looks like every block in that quilt is made by some configuration of a pattern + background made into a square. So I guess just make lots of those then piece them together til I like how it looks?

Pearl

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 10:56:45 AM »
Half square triangles were the first thing I learned to do when I was starting out.  Looking forward to seeing your blocks.  Could we see a pic of your fabric, please.

Francesca

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 11:00:45 AM »
I will post as soon as it arrives!

Is there a clever way to make HST squares? I seem to remember reading something about it that showed how you can make them out of just squares and cut them in half instead of sewing the triangles together?

Also how big should they be to look nice when quilted but also so I don't need a million of them?

Pearl

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 11:21:25 AM »
There are lots of different ways to make HST.  The first way I learned was to use two squares, draw a line on the diagonal and sew a 1/4 inch seam on both sides of the line, then cut on the line.
https://www.thespruce.com/easy-half-square-triangle-units-for-quilts-2821466

Now I prefer to make 4 at a time.  The alternative method on this page. 
http://www.blossomheartquilts.com/2012/07/hst-tutorial-and-maths-formula/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 11:28:27 AM by Pearl »