The Sewing Place

Uh oh you may have won me over...

Francesca

Re: Uh oh you may have won be over...
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 12:13:49 PM »
Thanks for both of those! Which would you say is most beginner friendly?

Lowena

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 13:31:47 PM »
The Quilter's Bible is the best book I've ever found for beginners Sewbee; it's by Linda Clements.
I love hsts Fran, there are several ways to make them but I just do it the straightforward way of cutting a square in half along the diagonal  :D Pinwheels look good in a variety of colours  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 16:22:58 PM »

This was the project that Quilty, a long, long time ago in a forum far, far away, brought to my attention. This picture is of the original quilt.

Quilty decided to do hers in Cerise pink and black, and very nice it was too, and I decided to try BrendaP, the Goddess of Colour, colour gradation thang!

http://knitnlit.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/modern-half-square-triangle-quilt-long_20.html

This is the sewalongablog by the original maker of the B&W&Red quilt above.
Dont be overwhelmed; it is the last blog of over a year or so but it has links to all the layouts for all 72 blocks !!

The most important thing with HST blocks is not to chop off the points (which I did on many of them!) and careful ironing of seams, especially on star type blocks where many seams meet at one juncture.
Sewing slowly and carefully will help, Spray starch is your friend ... and practice practice practice ??!!!

I printed off the B&W pic of the layout and struck each one off as I made them ... It took a very long time.

To avoid the 'Grey' Blues ... Only cut for the block you are making ...

Never cut all your fabric before you begin, the sight will depress you and put you off for life!

To start, aim for making a cushion cover to go with your quilt first.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 18:57:24 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sewbee

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 16:36:50 PM »
That quilt makes me dizzy!!

Seriously, though, that's one lovely quilt and I can't imagine just how many hours of work went into it.

Lowena

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2018, 16:39:14 PM »
That's the thing with hsts, straightforward but effective in so many ways  :loveit:

BrendaP

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 17:04:56 PM »
The Quilter's Bible is beginner friendly and covers all sorts of hand and machine techniques.  The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guide is similar but more emphasis on technique and less on block designs.

100 Quilt blocks book is mostly just about how different blocks are constructed.
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Deafoldbat

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 19:08:39 PM »
The only thing you really need to work on is sewing a ¼-inch seam. If you've got a super-flash sewing machine ( ;))you may be able to adjust the needle position to exactly where you need it. Once you have that sorted you are away.

There are useful books (and not so useful ones) aplenty, and most patterns, when you analyse them are made up of fairly simple shapes; it is the value of the colours that will give you the effect.

If you get stuck, give a shout - I'm only a few stations down the line from you.

Francesca

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 22:20:33 PM »
That red and black quilt is gorgeous and exactly what I'd like to do!

I will try and make some HST's when my fabric arrives using the two at a time method. See how I get on with that. If I use the baby pink as background and the persimmon as corner then I have four prints and one solid to make HSTs with... so 5 different variants. Does that sound like a good amount of variety?

I might just try and put them together til they make a nice shape.

What size squares should I be cutting for a nice shaped block like in that quilt above?

BrendaP

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 22:59:45 PM »

I will try and make some HST's when my fabric arrives using the two at a time method.
Personally I don't get on with the 2AAT method, but try it, that way might suit you.

If I use the baby pink as background and the persimmon as corner then I have four prints and one solid to make HSTs with... so 5 different variants. Does that sound like a good amount of variety?

Nope! not in my opinion!  You need another dozen or three different fabrics.  Others might think differently though. 

Seriously, 5 fabrics will be enough to work with but it is very much personal taste as to whether you go for a very structured/planned colour scheme with a few fabrics or whether you use lots and lots of co-ordinating colours.  The printed design is less important than the overall colour scheme.  Once the fabric is cut into small pieces you don't see too much of the pattern, only the colours.

What size squares should I be cutting for a nice shaped block like in that quilt above?

If you want the block to be square and you are planning to work with triangles then the triangles should be half square triangles (HSTs), two of which sewn together make a square.  Then join them into four strips of four squares and join the strips together to make blocks consisting of 16 squares (32 triangles).

The size you cut the starting squares needs to be 7/8" bigger than the finished sewn size of each pair of triangles.  In practice call it 1" bigger and trim the sewn pairs of triangles into neat squares making sure that the seams go exactly from corner to corner. 

How big do you want the blocks to be?

If you start with 4" x 4" squares, cut diagonally, sew together and trim you will get 3" x 3" squares.  After you have joined them together with 1/4" seams they will become 2.5" x 2.5" finished and the size of the block will be 10" x 10" (plus 1/4" seam allowance all around).

« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 23:03:35 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2018, 08:32:53 AM »
The only thing you really need to work on is sewing a ¼-inch seam. If you've got a super-flash sewing machine ( ;))you may be able to adjust the needle position to exactly where you need it. Once you have that sorted you are away.

Oh yes Deaf,

Fran has got a super-flash new (to her) sewing machine!!!
She has just bought The Splurge from me, which has not only a 1/4" foot but a 1/4" foot setting!!!!
Also the needle up down button, but what really made her squeal with delight (as I did too when I first had The Splurge) was the auto thread cutting button!

0_0
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Deafoldbat

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2018, 18:49:08 PM »
She has just bought The Splurge

That's what I meant... ;)

Francesca

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2018, 19:00:00 PM »
And the only setting I know how to use so far is the quilting one  0_0

I have mastered threading the needle though, even if it did take me and the boyfriend poring over the instructions.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2018, 19:09:20 PM »
Why would you need to know any other settings? :D You know you want to stay over here really... :devil:

Lowena

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2018, 19:13:04 PM »
My thoughts exactly  :D
My automatic thread cutter cuts the thread too short so watch out  :(

The Splurge has never had that problem, Low ...
you really should mention that to your retailer or call Brother and ask if there is an adjustment that can be made! 
Imi xxx
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:24:10 AM by Iminei »

Acorn

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2018, 19:16:40 PM »
Did Imi not tell you that she's trained it to switch back to the quilting settings whenever it's left alone for more than 10 seconds?   :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.