The Sewing Place

Uh oh you may have won me over...

Francesca

Re: Uh oh you may have won me over...
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2018, 16:59:37 PM »
A wee package has arrived.

I have been itching to sew on the Splurge since it arrived but was wallowing about in the misery of tracing and cutting before I could get anywhere on my coat project.

However this should keep my occupied, and just in time for the weekend. I'm going to an ice hockey match on Saturday evening but other than that, a weekend of quilting!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 12:06:03 PM by Francesca »

Francesca

Re: Uh oh you may have won be over...
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2018, 21:43:01 PM »
Here we go.....

Acorn

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2018, 21:55:53 PM »
Nice!   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewbee

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2018, 22:33:06 PM »
Can't wait to see what you make with that, Fran. Do you have a pattern in mind?

Francesca

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2018, 23:14:03 PM »
I found a quilt example with lots of nice triangley layouts which are all made out of HSTs, so I'm just going to make tonnes of them in three colourways and then put them together in a nice way. Not really sure yet!

It's taken me all evening and I've only made 20  :S

I've estimated I can make 200 HSTs though with what I've got... that seems like loads but I guess if I go for 16 HSTs to a block that's 12 blocks which sounds about right? The HSTs are 3".

Only thing that is annoying me is my giant ruler. It's a 16" long one and it's so cumbersome it made my arms ache! Oh well.

Lowena

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2018, 09:33:55 AM »
I don't like long rulers either  -<
Love the fabric, looking forward to the blocks  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Francesca

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2018, 14:43:49 PM »
I've managed to make 40 squares so far in three different colourways (all baby pink + a patterned fabric).

I've got two more prints... but also I have some baby blue. I'm not sure what to do with the baby blue as I only have 1 FQ of it. I did consider using it in place of the baby pink on some squares but looking at the designs I like the most they all have one "background" colour matched with the pattern so I am keen to keep going with the pink. I also have off-white for sashing (see look at me @Iminei saying quilty words!) and the persimmon orange for the corners of the sashing to float in between each block.

So, baby blue... binding maybe?

BrendaP

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2018, 16:03:52 PM »
One FQ won't be enough for binding.  Half a metre would be tight on a 12 block quilt.

Maybe you could use the blue in the back somehow - or just keep it in stash towards the next project.
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Francesca

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2018, 20:52:51 PM »
First one a bit squiffy. Second slightly better. Definitely not got enough baby pink so I'll carry on until I get paid and can buy more as my sewing budget is depleted this month!

Can you tell I'm just making this up as I go along...

Ellabella

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2018, 22:03:20 PM »
Fran they are fine, carry on whilst the fabric lasts.

You'll look back on your first quilt and see some mistakes but you'll always love it.
Desperately trying to alliterate in North Yorkshire

BrendaP

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2018, 23:20:49 PM »
Fran they are fine, carry on whilst the fabric lasts.

I agree.  You have probably got enough squares to make a lap quilt to cuddle under and for a first attempt your points are all very well matched  0_0

However, IMO, there isn't enough colour contrast, the patterned fabrics are all a bit mid-tone.  You need some darks in there as well.  Indeed it's the mix of lights, mid-tone and darks which make a successful combination more than the actual colours chosen.  To see the overall effect of tone half close your eyes and squint at it through your eyelashes (and/or take your glasses off).

Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Francesca

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2018, 23:47:13 PM »
Yep I agree. It's a bit wishy washy. Oh well, lesson learnt. I don't want to add more fabric to this lest it grow even larger so I'll know for next time. At least it won't overwhelm the room I intend it for, and the persimmon orange for the corners may bring it out a bit.

I have just fallen in love with another quilt pattern I've seen. It's half triangle rectangles. Joined together they look like lightning bolts. Now I'm considering whether boyfriend would be able to deal with a wallhanging in his games room as it would go so well in there... Oh god I'm running away with it all!

Just finished another block, so that's three down!

Ellabella

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2018, 00:55:37 AM »
Lovely points. 0_0
Desperately trying to alliterate in North Yorkshire

Iminei

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2018, 07:33:00 AM »
Firstly .......

http://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,12.0.html

Your points aren't bad and are getting better but this might help.

Secondly I'm glad to see you are geting more adventurous with the placement of your fabrics. The first pic where you used the same pattern in all 4 HST's to make a block is a waste of time, mix it up a lil ...as you have in your later blocks!

If you wanted a complete square of one pattern (as in your first pic) it would have been better if you had made a square on point block ...keeping that lovely peacock pattern for instance, uncut ...

(The four cowboys in the middle are actually printed like that not pieced, so imagine that beautiful peacock fabric fussy cut to show it off to its best!)

The Rectangular HST's are quite a difficult technique to master Fran and I suggest you keep it on the back burner for a while.

Now, Why not try this. Its the Free Craftsy BOM 2012 with Leah Day......
(just in case the link to my class doesn't work for you)

https://course.craftsy.com/play/50?startLectureId=2477&t=0

Leah takes you from the simplest blocks through to much more challenging blocks, is an excellent teacher and this is an excellent way to dip your toe in to The Dark Side and see which techniques you like (and don't like) without getting overwhelmed.

Im not trying to rain on your parade Fran but am rather a bit concerned that you are going to feel overwhelmed and end up feeling dissatisfied with the end result.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 07:34:58 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Francesca

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2018, 10:37:02 AM »
Yeah I realise I should have left the first as larger squares but I wanted an easy shape to try first. I'm happy with it though. I'm going to keep going with stuff similar to what I have. I like how it looks :)