The Sewing Place

Uh oh you may have won me over...

BrendaP

Re: Uh oh you may have won me over...
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2018, 11:50:33 AM »
the persimmon orange for the corners may bring it out a bit.

Get some persimmon orange for the binding, that will help pull it all together.
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Francesca

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2018, 13:00:29 PM »
That's a good idea :)

Iminei

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2018, 09:50:06 AM »
The PO sounds amazing ... can't wait to see it in situ!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Francesca

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2018, 17:22:00 PM »
I now have 6 blocks done.

It is looking a bit small at 6. Even with the spacing I've laid out in between I think it needs more.

So, 9 would make it square. Is 12 going to be crazy for a newbie? Then again at least I have other sewing experience. I guess it just depends on getting it rolled and under the harp. I wouldn't mind carrying on and making 12 blocks. I have enough fabric for it aside from the baby pink. The blocks are currently just shy of 10 1/2 inches each and I haven't trimmed them to neaten them. I plan to add the white and orange in between with the same cut squares (3" HSTs). So that would make the width x length still smaller than the "standard junior quilt" (this isn't intended to go on a bed anywho).

Edit: just found out I had some money in my PayPal, so more baby pink is on its way!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 17:51:33 PM by Francesca »

Iminei

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2018, 09:41:19 AM »
12 is definitely not crazy for a Gal as experienced as you are in sewing, if not quilting....

And you are sewing on The Splurge now which has a much bigger harp than the average domestic machine. You can roll if you want but I bet you'll be a stuffer by the end. As long as the quilt under the needle is flat and taut you will be ok!

No pics allow my mind to run free and I came up with a design involving your blocks, a Neutral background fabric for the sashing (I think bright white would look FAB) and that much anticipated Persimmon Orange.... PO from now on!

three blocks by four blocks at 10" finished each
with 2" finished sashing between (cut 2 1/2" strips)
with 2 " finished squares at the corners of all blocks in PO (cut 2 1/2" squares)

will yield you a quilt 38" x 50" approx...... Very Doable!!!

Choose which way you want to sash your blocks ... across (rows) or down (columns) ....
and join 10 1/2" strips of the background fabric sashing to the top/side of each block

NB .... One row/column will need both top and bottom/both sides sashed with these 10 1/2" blocks.

Now make a long strip of sashing, joining 10 1/2" strips of background colour with 2 1/2" squares of PO,

You may want to be very clever and add an extra 1/4 - 1/2" to the sashing and squares on the outer strips to allow for the binding!

This is all back of the envelope stuff so I have drawn it out for you ...
Its not to size, scale or any other technical S words .... just an impression.

Francesca

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2018, 10:32:36 AM »
Yay that's exactly how I imagined it!

Now, for the sashing... I know it's sensible to make one long strip. But one long strip is where I seem to go the most wrong, not having my piecing being perfect.

Would it be at all possible to make each block with sashing on two sides by itself, so they remain as blocks?

The reason my last quilt failed was that when it came to joining, I did so in strips and then found each strip completely out of alignment with the rest. These blocks have been far more successful.

So I was thinking of making a strip that is only the top edge and left edge of each block. Then joining those together. I would use the exact same size for the orange blocks as I have for the rest. And then the white strips would be longer.

I know that's more seams overall but I feel like I'll get a better result?

Iminei

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2018, 10:41:13 AM »
Yes thats perfectly acceptable and somewhat how A Storm at Sea, or in my case The Squall at Sea, 

http://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,3179.0.html

quilt goes together ... One block in a larger creation is the centre block plus two sides and they all join together with the last blocks having all 4 sides ... If you understand my drift.

So your Block would consist of your

10 1/2" central block
Two 2 1/2" x 10 1/2" background strips
One 2 1/2" PO square

(All cut sizes)

(Pic shows finished sizes)

with the last row of blocks needing extra sashing and squares.

If that's how you'd like to do it, go ahead ... its your quilt!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 08:07:09 AM by Iminei »

Francesca

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2018, 18:34:14 PM »
The white fabric arrived so I can get started with the edges tonight  0_0

I have been laying out the 6 blocks so far into an arrangement I like. Quite a lot of them have formed with "diamonds" in the middle (either of patterns or of baby pink) so I am following on with that sort of look, alternating the diamondy blocks with the non.

Slightly running out of ideas that I like though... any inspo?

Francesca

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2018, 22:56:44 PM »
One strip down!! Four more to go. Including 6 blocks...

The colours are definitely iffy. I know I've made a mistake on the overall palette but I still like it. It'll look nice, and hey lesson learnt!

Kenora

« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2018, 00:15:20 AM »
The colours are definitely iffy. I know I've made a mistake on the overall palette but I still like it.

The orange really lifts it - looks lovely.  <3
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Iminei

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2018, 08:09:12 AM »
I know I've made a mistake on the overall palette

No No No .....

That is FABulous!!!!

Think Vintage ... Shabby Chic .... crisp and lovely!

Francesca

« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2018, 09:01:27 AM »
I think it's just that the off-white should have been cream. Oh well. I still think it'll look nice in the room (magnolia walls and brown carpet blergh, why do landlords have to put the most ugly offensive carpet in places?) but a nice cream sofa and a sheepskin rug!

supergran

« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2018, 19:35:46 PM »
You've made a lovely job of those  Fran. I think we've definitely got you hooked now.  0_0
The colours are fine. They don't always have to scream at you.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 19:38:04 PM by supergran »

Fajita

« Reply #58 on: Yesterday at 00:08:15 »
That is really nice, @Francesca, you've done a great job. Born to it!

Ploshkin

« Reply #59 on: Yesterday at 08:01:51 »
That's going to look very classy Fran.
Life's too short for ironing.