The Sewing Place

No diary/sewing plan

Bodgeitandscarper

No diary/sewing plan
« on: January 12, 2018, 11:14:12 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I just love reading all these diaries and plans that folks are posting, but is it just me who doesn't know what they want to sew until I suddenly think "I really need a [insert garment here] to wear right now, I will make it now" ?
Please tell me I'm not the only one who can't plan ahead?

b15erk

Re: No diary/sewing plan
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 11:32:27 AM »
Bodge, I think I'm a bit like you, I hate planning, and usually just sew what I like, when I feel like it.

My reasons for joining in the diary are:

1. I'm hoping it will make my sewing a bit more organised - I tend to always have a last minute panic!
2. It will remind me of what is left to do, and how long I have to do it.
3. It will enable me to ask for help when the project has already been documented
4. I'm hoping that it will help when I get to those tricky bits, which result in so many UFO's.

This is always presuming that I stick with the diary - I do have a tendency to veer off piste quite often!

I shall watch your no diary/no sewing plan with interest!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 12:05:45 PM »
I'm just the same Bodge - sometimes it's a matter of 'I haven't enough x to choose from - better go and make something'.

I AM going to join in the diaries though, but mine won't have much in the way of intentions to start with.  It will be more a record of what I'm doing.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Roger

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 12:07:10 PM »
No hope of planning here!

I’m currently supposed to be mending stuff, probably offloading a couple of machines maybe 3.

And cooking working and feeding kids... if I get time for sewing then it’s a bonus...

A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Sewingsue

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 12:29:31 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I just love reading all these diaries and plans that folks are posting, but is it just me who doesn't know what they want to sew until I suddenly think "I really need a [insert garment here] to wear right now, I will make it now" ?
Please tell me I'm not the only one who can't plan ahead?
I love reading them too.

Can I add another reason (excuse) for not starting a diary?

Planning is easy - having the plans still sitting on the page in a year's time is even easier.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 12:48:39 PM »
No plans for me.  I intend to finish off the shirtdress I started nearly two years' ago and hope to then go on and make one or two more items.  The problem is that I don't have an ideal sewing set up and my back rebels at no more than 10 minutes of bending over the too low improvised cutting tables I have.
What goes around comes around.

Ellabella

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 13:11:02 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't do plans, though other people's are fascinating.

I either make something because I need it or because someone else does.  Sometimes it's seeing a fab piece of fabric and the deciding what to do with it.

If I make a plan and don't finish it I'll feel I've failed.  Silly I know but I will.

Mind you, if any of you saw me it would be very apparent that any sort of planning was not my forte.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 13:14:12 PM by Ellabella »
Desperately trying to alliterate in North Yorkshire

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 13:54:18 PM »
Phew. I was beginning to think I was the only one without a plan so I'm glad to see others here. But I do like reading the diaries so perhaps they will inspire me. One of the things about a plan is that I'm easily diverted from the straight and narrow by serendipitous purchases of fabric. But I'm trying to go on a fabric purchase fast this year so perhaps it won't be so much of a problem (except I've just fallen off the wagon and bought some fabric.  :devil: )
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 13:59:00 PM »
I don't plan either.  In the olden days of real shops I would suddenly decide I wanted to make something and pop into a local shop for a browse of patterns and fabric.
Nowadays with online shopping I do tend to have one or two things in the pipeline as I buy more than one lot of fabric at a time to save postage but I don't like having a stash so have something in mind for the fabrics but no particular timetable for using them.
Life's too short for ironing.

Samantha

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 14:37:45 PM »
I don't plan, I make things for an occasion or if I suddenly decide I want to make myself such and such and item.

The trouble is that in between those times I don't really do much sewing  -<

I think I might be better off if I go through my patterns and my (very small compared to some) stash and make some plans so that I have projects lined up and I may be more productive (and use up some of my stash!)

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 15:39:07 PM »
And another one who doesn't plan ahead like that.  I decide what to make as and when.

I do enjoy reading other people's plans and sometimes they give me inspiration - I like nearly everything Raving Doll is planning - and I might well start a diary thread rather than a plan ahead thread.
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Lachica

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 19:57:39 PM »
I'm enjoying browsing other people's plans, but if I plan then don't achieve I feel I've failed. I have a list on my phone, some items have been there a year :( but I do slot items in as they're needed. I've almost finished a set of curtains, lined & interlined. One more to go. I salute anyone who earns a living making curtains and never want to make any again. The 'bump' interlining has been a pain. The curtains are quite big, which doesn't help. (main window is 3 m wide and floor length pair for the doors are each 2m square). This evening I'm making a quick pair of cushions for my daughter. I have some lovely fabric for a cardigan for me, and some for 2 dresses for my 1yr old granddaughter. I won't allow myself to start those until I finish the last curtain though. I always finish a project -or bin it- before starting a new one.
Mary

justpottering

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 20:35:39 PM »
I don't plan sewing projects mostly because I don't have the kind of life that goes with planning anything!

However this year I do have plans because I've lost over 4 stone ( and plan another stone)  which means I need a complete new wardrobe and I want a new look, up to now I have been altering and altering again and again what I already had so this year I have a plan  0_0
( but no specific timescale)
Often I make as I need/want sometimes this can be just hours before I need to wear it   :|
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Lyn-J

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 20:49:13 PM »
I don't plan. I get bored and go and do something else!
I'm just using my diary to write what I'm doing. I'd love to see what you're all up to!
Lynne

Efemera

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 21:46:53 PM »
I sort of have a plan....finishing one thing at a time! Though dressmaking and quilting can bob along together... I have a raincoat that’s been cut out forever so that’s next on the list.