The Sewing Place

Poll

What should be the first competition in 2018? (3 votes per member)

My signature collection - create a mini wardrobe of 9-12 pieces over a few months (there will be some rules, but I'll try to include everybody's dress style/preference
13 (9.5%)
A 'new to me' pattern - garments, accessories... anything goes as long as it's based on a pattern
6 (4.4%)
'What I'd love to have in my closet' (anything but a skeleton goes)
7 (5.1%)
I have a special occasion to go to and nothing to wear
5 (3.6%)
A 'new to me' technique on a finished item (anything from bound buttonholes, free motion quilting, to a set in sleeve counts)
6 (4.4%)
Facing my fear: techniques, fabrics...
5 (3.6%)
Pattern matching (accessories/garments), the pattern can be florals, tartans, stripes...
3 (2.2%)
I need more lace in my life (anything goes, as long as lace is being used)
7 (5.1%)
Fabric manipulation (felting, painting, embroidery, batik, tie dyeing.....)
5 (3.6%)
Unselfish sewing (for your other half, a friend, a relative) - anything goes
7 (5.1%)
Tart up your tartan - clever or unusual use of plaids in garments
6 (4.4%)
Florals rule - garments
9 (6.6%)
Life's a beach - swim wear, beach bags, cover ups
4 (2.9%)
Design Challenge - one pattern 3 ways
14 (10.2%)
Craft challenge: design and make co-ordinated storage solutions
0 (0%)
Piece & Quilt: a sudoku sampler of 'new to you' patterns and/or techniques and follow up with a main project that uses two or more of the new techniques
1 (0.7%)
Refashion, Upcycle or Recycle (anything that came from a second hand shop, something handed down to you etc.) – garments or accessories
11 (8%)
Mate your orphans competition – make two pieces that go with an orphan in your closet (the orphan can be a garment, a bag or a pair of shoes)
8 (5.8%)
'Inspired by..." - make your own version of a RTW garment, be it high end or just something seen on the high street
7 (5.1%)
'Look what I did with my scraps' - garments, accessories , quilts....
13 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: January 23, 2018, 10:12:48 AM

The votes are in: competitions in 2018

Greybird

Re: The votes are in: competitions in 2018
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 10:13:05 AM »
Only 27 people voted... come on get your votes in!

I would have but I couldn't find where to do it! I'm sure it's straightforward for most people but my technical knowhow extends only just so far. Could it not say "vote here"?

Francesca

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 10:34:42 AM »
I would have but I couldn't find where to do it! I'm sure it's straightforward for most people but my technical knowhow extends only just so far. Could it not say "vote here"?

The poll is at the top of this page.

Francesca

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 10:36:32 AM »
Very excited in the above competitions :) I'm aiming to enter both.

Can I be cheeky and make the wardrobe work with my SWAP? There's no way I can sew 12 garments on top of the 6 for SWAP. So I'll be planning to combine all the challenges.

And hey now, I wonder if the members here would let me enter a sewalong for once  :o Id have to promise not to doctor the votes  >:)

Manuela

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2018, 10:37:14 AM »

I did put a shout for everyone to vote in the Cafe section, a total of 48 people votes. Voting closed yesterday.

Manuela

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2018, 10:43:50 AM »
Very excited in the above competitions :) I'm aiming to enter both.

Can I be cheeky and make the wardrobe work with my SWAP? There's no way I can sew 12 garments on top of the 6 for SWAP. So I'll be planning to combine all the challenges.

And hey now, I wonder if the members here would let me enter a sewalong for once  :o Id have to promise not to doctor the votes  >:)

Of course you can make the wardrobe work with your SWAP, I try to make rules that work for most people and are not forcing you to make something for the sake of the rules you end up not wearing.

The Sudoku is meant for everyone, I find the grid helpful for mixing and matching. I see sewalongs as casual, no rules, just participate things, while competitions come with rules and time limits.
Given that you delegated this section, I'm sure nobody will mind you participating  ;)

DementedFairy

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2018, 13:51:32 PM »

@Francesca isn't the SWAP ELEVEN items?  Just wonderin' lol
C'est moi!

Francesca

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2018, 14:20:30 PM »
@Francesca isn't the SWAP ELEVEN items?  Just wonderin' lol

Ohhhh... hmm maybe? I don't know. I'm doing my own thang n calling it SWAP. I'm actually gonna do 8. Two of each bottoms, tops, jackets, dresses. I lose track of what they're all called.

DementedFairy

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2018, 14:26:38 PM »
Ohhhh... hmm maybe? I don't know. I'm doing my own thang n calling it SWAP. I'm actually gonna do 8. Two of each bottoms, tops, jackets, dresses. I lose track of what they're all called.

Then I vote we call yours a FWAP [not fap, definitely not fap] 'Fran With A Plan' just to distinguish them lol

There are a LOT of challenges going on in my head now- a couple on Pattern Review sound fun ['match my shoes' anyone?] then there's SWAP, and I like the ones coming up here, and and and I just challenged Hila to a frill-off lol
C'est moi!

Francesca

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2018, 15:14:18 PM »
Then I vote we call yours a FWAP [not fap, definitely not fap] 'Fran With A Plan' just to distinguish them lol

There are a LOT of challenges going on in my head now- a couple on Pattern Review sound fun ['match my shoes' anyone?] then there's SWAP, and I like the ones coming up here, and and and I just challenged Hila to a frill-off lol

Haha I can refer to it as that on here. I am just calling it "wardrobe planning" in my head really.

Manuela

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 15:05:31 PM »
Now that we have the winner of our first competition, it's time to think about the next one.

I'll put my thinking cap on ober the weekend regarding rules and time-lines for the next competition(s) - currently thinking about running two at the same time, as the wardrobing one will last a few months.

UttaRetch

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2018, 15:40:11 PM »
@Manuela: should not the poll ask 'what should be the next competition(s)'?

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2018, 20:14:07 PM »
I'm hoping to see the 4-6PAC seasonal sewalong up somewhere soon. If they exist I've not found them yet, so kindly point me toward them if they do.

Florals are nice this time of year.  :flower:

Back in January Manuela posted this list for upcoming Competitions:

1. Design Challenge - one pattern three ways

2. My Signature Collection - create a mini wardrobe of 9-12 pieces
    Look what I did with my scraps
I think those two challenges/competions can be run at the same time, as they appeal to different demographics here  :)

3. Refashion, Upcycle or Recycle (anything that came from a second hand shop, something handed down to you, etc.) - garments or accessories

4. Florals Rule (great fro Spring/Summer) - any garment done in a floral print, embroidery, etc

5. Mate your Orphans - make two pieces that go with an orphan in your closet.

I'd love to see some Darkside competitions too. "'Look what I did with my scraps' - garments, accessories , quilts...." received as many votes as Signature Collection did.  :ninja: Somehow I like the idea of a competition now and then that included garments and non garment sewing, just for a little collective fun. :devil:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Manuela

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2018, 23:54:23 PM »
@Manuela: should not the poll ask 'what should be the next competition(s)'?
We did that already, I'm working down the list of the original poll @UttaRetch  :)

UttaRetch

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2018, 16:29:05 PM »
Sorry, I am being dense.  Is the poll open for the next round of voting and if so, I still think the 'question' needs to be changed as we have already had the first competition of 2018.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2018, 18:15:59 PM »
I don't think we've really done anything official but myself and @DementedFairy both have diaries in the Member's Diaries section for wardrobe planning and DF is following the 6PAC rules closely where I am doing a little here and there.

Right. In January Manuela posted a list of the top  5 finishers, indicating which ones would be coming up soon. I reposted that list yesterday after I found it. I wasn't here regularly until March so keep finding new to me "old news".

@Francesca, thanks. I had noticed your and DF's diaries. I was hoping that the 4-6 PAC sewalong idea would turn up as a sticky topic.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.