The Sewing Place

Skirt that is really a dress

Goth Gardiner

Skirt that is really a dress
« on: January 13, 2018, 11:19:52 AM »
Or perhaps a dress that looks like a skirt.

I want to have a couple of skirts for summer wear but I can't wear skirts as they give me back-ache.

Howevery couture sewing book illustrates severall "skirts" that are really dresses - the skirt is sewn on to light weight top that isn't designed to be seen.

However, as this is for summer I need the tip to be as cool as possible and am not sure what fabric to use.  Culproall? One of the performance fabrics? Or just a cotton?

I am sure someone must have done this before.  Can you give me some ideas?

Gg

There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

BrendaP

Re: Skirt that is really a dress
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 11:46:49 AM »
Culproall?

Do you mean cupro = Cuprammonium?  A form of viscose rayon.  All rayons are regenerated cellulose fibre so not synthetic but not entirely natural.
https://www.naturalclothing.com/modal-rayon-lyocell-cupro-semi-synthetic-fabric/

The advantages of rayon are lightweight, beathable and fairly inexpensive.  Disadvantages are that it usually creases badly.  For what you want it would be a good choice.  Other options would be lightweight 100% cotton lawn or fine silk.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

SingingSinger

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 15:26:53 PM »
Oohh! I think I had something like this as a child. Mine was a kilt style skirt attached to a light vest top. Like this:

https://www.gretnagreen.com/girls-dress-stewart-tartan-kilt-with-bodice-p10064#product_information

:)
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 17:50:23 PM »
I was just about to say these were around when I was small...

Morgan

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 19:42:04 PM »
 any light woven or even a light weight knit in  - silk, cotton, viscose, bamboo
An option is to attach a skirt to a RTW vest/singlet/camisole
Also depending on the style it can be a useful idea to put some elastic at the waist, even 2 or 3 rows of shirring elastic can make a difference.

[size=78%]http://dressagirlaroundtheworld-va.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/the-best-t-shirt-dress-tutorial.html[/size]

Hachi

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 09:00:39 AM »
It does not answer your question, but how about a dress pattern that can look like a top & skirt?

Sew Over It Phoebe Dress

Tamanegi Kobo Jasmine

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 09:26:34 AM »
 :o  Blinks in surprise at having found herself here  :o

Errrmm, that was a really good tutorial and that tamagotchi dress looks really nice ...

Errrrmmm ... I think I have mislaid something somewhere else ... (scarpers off before anyone notices her)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Vegegrow

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 09:47:26 AM »
I would use a cotton singlet as I can't wear polyester against  my skin it makes me itch.. you could buy a cheap cotton one and give it a try
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 18:20:16 PM »
Cotton  lawn or voile, viscose lawn or silk habotai would be the finest ones.  Not done this myself but keep thinking I might.  My tutor used to say it was a good idea for those that didn't like things round their waists and those who were larger and didn't want elasticated waists.

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 09:43:14 AM »
Brenda, I did of course mean Cupol.  That has the advantage over Morgan's and Ohsewsimple's suggestios as I know I have some already that I wouldn't mind using, unlike my stack of silk which is just for looking at, not actually for using.  I'd not thought of using a stretch fabric as I'd though the weight of the skirt would pull it out of shape, but of course this doesn't happen on a dress fully made of jersey.  The suggestion of getting a RTW top though has a lot of appear - I bought a couple of full-length slips in a "cool" jersey in the sales, a short version of one of those would be good in warm weather.

The top portion of the Tamaneji dress was what I had in mind, although with the top a bit shorter.  What always surprises me about these posts is where do you find the patterns?  Do you all have photograhic memories?

Many thanks to all of you

GG
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily