The Sewing Place

John Lewis Kingston Fabric and Habby on Sale

ClareInStitches

John Lewis Kingston Fabric and Habby on Sale
« on: January 15, 2018, 16:23:13 PM »
Not that I should be tempting you, but I succumbed to temptation in JL, today. Kingston branch has quite a few useful discounted fabrics, useful and pretty ones, not just weirdo's.

Sorry, I have beaten you to the last 2.20. metres of Robert Kaufman, Black Super Stretch Denim. It was reduced from £12.p.m. odd to £6. p.m. Curiously enough, I had been looking for a UK source online, last night without success. They had some non-stretch left and some nice jacket and blouse weight stuff.

They also had craft kits, such as the  Prym Espadrilles at half price, knitting books, Bag handles, etc.

Worth a gander if you are in Kingston. Just saying.... ;)

ClareInStitches

Re: John Lewis Kingston Fabric and Habby on Sale
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 16:51:16 PM »
Forgot to say; they also had Brother extension tables in two sizes, much reduced.  Might be worth a phone call to see if they fit your machine?

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 22:34:25 PM »
Mmm like the sound of the denim but haven't seen any of it in my local JL.
Must be some variations between stock in branches.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

classical retro

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 00:21:07 AM »
They had some in JL Cheadle and cotton lawn in olive, Ivory and white. £2 ish pm. There were full bolts of the olive colour. I managed to get interfacing for £1.50 pm v good quality at Trafford Centre. At that price I took the lot.
Never known such bargains at JL.
CV :D

Tamnymore

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 07:40:39 AM »
Aaargh JL Cheadle is my nearest one. How did I miss that? I didn't know that the TC JL has dressmaking fabric. Actually I haven't been to the Trafford Centre for years. You are quite right, you don't usually get a bargain in JL's haberdashery. Just occasionally there is something like this though.

Vegegrow

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 08:55:55 AM »
There are a few bits left on line I rather like this but have no purpose for it https://www.johnlewis.com/jane-makower-duchess-satin-fabric/p2299441?colour=Peony   only 2m left but its 150cm wide
I bought in there sale on Christmas Eve Half price stretch interfacing for knits and some velour .. sat waiting for it for  3 weeks 14 days delivery but I reckoned with all the holidays and weekends it would be some time... Got a phone call from JL saying there had been technical issues and all the orders on Christmas eve hadn't arrived at Oddies who were supplying the fabric
they would refund me and I should try and buy them again  >< well I had looked at there site that morning and knew the white interfacing was out of stock  there was some black ( and it was now 75% off) and the velour was still available
told the lady on the phone about the white and she did a shop search and rang me back none available  I had discovered there was only 1m of the black interfacing left and since the postage was more than the fabric ... (I no longer wanted the velour)  it wasn't worth buying  The JL lady did a shop search for the black found it in Oxford street and I purchased 5 m for £14 including p&p over the phone so it turned out ok
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 10:47:33 AM »
There are a few bits left on line I rather like this but have no purpose for it https://www.johnlewis.com/jane-makower-duchess-satin-fabric/p2299441?colour=Peony   only 2m left but its 150cm wide

I actually had this in my basket as you were posting!  I have ordered it now, but out of interest I went back a few times to see when it got marked as out of stock, and it took quite a while - 20 minutes to half an hour - so I won't be terribly surprised if it was already sold when I ordered it...

I also got some similar Makower black satin for £3 a metre, which I hope will be suitable for my coat lining.  If not I can always find a use for it elsewhere.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 19:29:17 PM »
Wow!  I was right about them not having the peony satin in stock any more, but they phoned this afternoon and offered to send out a request to all the stores that had it in stock to find me some. 

I just had a phone call from Cribbs Causeway, who had a whole roll, and they are sending me my two metres, without charging postage because it was part of an online order.  I could have had more, and I suspect it will arrive before the rest of the order as well!

I have always loved John Lewis!   :*

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 19:35:44 PM »
That's good service. I checked in JL Sheffield yesterday and there were a few fabrics which had been reduced twice but nothing shouted 'buy me!' at me.

Tamnymore

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 14:48:30 PM »
JL Cheadle had a lot more reduced fabric than the Sheffield shop. You know that fabric fast I said I was on?  Err well ummmm. They had some rolls which were  30% of the original price which brought them out of the too expensive to contemplate range into the affordable range. I got a couple of metres of a plaid denim. Apparently the plaid pattern only becomes visible when it's washed a few times. I'm so trusting! I also got some reduced cotton iron on interfacing and a rather nice cotton/linen mix fabric which was reduced from £22 pm to £6.60 (which is still fairly pricey but hey ho!) Back on the wagon now..... honest (  ;)  :devil: )

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 14:53:49 PM »
It would have been rude not to...  :)