The Sewing Place

Mannequin .....

BrendaP

Re: Mannequin .....
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 21:41:12 PM »
When I will the lottery (which I don't buy tickets for!) I will treat myself to one, and maybe a few extras to donate to TSP members.. :ninja:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sandra

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 07:36:59 AM »
Isn't that wonderful?!

Hours of fun to be had with it as you shape-change it to different friends and family  0_0...could be a bit of a shocker though to see your body-double across the room.

Sandra.
xxx

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 08:56:52 AM »
'...  but designers don’t just create one version of a shirt or jacket and then scale it up and down ...'

Except that the industry standard [for women] is to draft from a B cup with symmetrical proportions.  I also note that the torso of the mannequin is longer than mine, so will there be adjustments for the short waisted.  However, at the end of the day, the mannequin is for manufacturing so isn't really applicable to those of use who sew. 

A much more personalised approach is the increasingly popular Bootstrap DIY dress forms.  There have been some interesting results on PatternReview with a high satisfaction rating.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 10:18:24 AM »
...could be a bit of a shocker though to see your body-double across the room.

This is why I don't have a dress form.  I prefer to live in ignorance...   :|
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 10:42:11 AM »

A much more personalised approach is the increasingly popular Bootstrap DIY dress forms.  There have been some interesting results on PatternReview with a high satisfaction rating.

Yes I intend to make one for myself shortly  0_0
Re. the reviews; this one may be of especial interest to those with a larger bust thinking of constructing their own Bootstraps dressform:
https://sewing.patternreview.com/review/pattern/142497

SkoutSews

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 10:50:49 AM »
...could be a bit of a shocker though to see your body-double across the room.

I find it quite shocking enough to see the size and shape of a garment that I've made to fit me!  An actual body double would send me into deep gloom.

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 13:47:58 PM »
@Madame Cholet: I did notice that review, how could you not? 0_0 but the customer is so much larger than me.  To be honest, I have been impressed by the results BUT have not ready the reviews.  It's probably not something that I would tackle as I fear failure and can't be a*sed with incremental adjustments.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 14:08:52 PM »
@UttaRetch: I think that particular Bootstraps dressform is magnificent!  :)
The personalised pattern recalibrations provided by the lady from Bootstraps in order to perfect the form impressed me, and displayed excellent individual support.

lakaribane

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 14:50:57 PM »
could be a bit of a shocker though to see your body-double across the room.

I've had that reaction twice: when I tried drafting my own block and when I made a duct-tape dressform with the help of a friend. I never really realized the [small] size of my frame until I saw it reproduced. And I do Narrow Shoulders adjustments on most patterns!

That said, I am VERY interested in the Bootstrap Custom Dressform. I'm trying to find the fiberfill, for a smoother finish vs the chopped foam available here.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 15:30:41 PM »
I find looking at my dress form less scary than looking in the mirror!  Maybe because Dolly may measure the same, but she doesn't have all the lumps and bumps  :S

As for the adjusting mannequinn - where can I get one?  Although I suspect the price may put me off...

Oh... £96,000... that does put me off somewhat...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 15:33:19 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 16:23:56 PM »
It would be far cheaper, though still expensive, to get a body cast.  However, I couldn't bare the cold plaster.