The Sewing Place

Butterick Winter Collection

sewingj

Butterick Winter Collection
« on: January 17, 2018, 15:53:18 PM »
Sewdirect have emailed to say the Butterick Winter Collection is available

https://www.sewdirect.com/acatalog/Whats_New.html?mc_cid=ec2322bb8f&mc_eid=d680f677a8

there are a few tops and jackets I like the look of

UttaRetch

Re: Butterick Winter Collection
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 16:18:31 PM »
I like these

and here

could be something for a ward robe contest.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 16:43:05 PM »
Isn't it a bit late for a winter collection, or is it for next winter?
Life's too short for ironing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 16:46:12 PM »
It's in step with the current cold climate and we still have weeks of this, so I think it's quite timely.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 17:23:07 PM »
Well it looks like I am back in fashion, this is what I made today from a Butterick pattern I have had 20+ years. Does it remind you of something in the "new collection"
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Tamnymore

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 17:29:27 PM »
Ooh yes it is very similar although we still had wide-ish shoulders in the early 90s.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Madame Cholet

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 17:42:41 PM »
Imo B6514 would be just right for Spring, and also for our possibly-not-so-warm-at-times Summer.
I'm really quite taken with that pattern, as I do love a good Princess line dress.  So I think I may just treat myself.  I like the demure neckline and the sleeve treatments, and tbh I'd probably make all 3. :loveit:
Is there a link to the pattern envelope reverse for the yardage info on that website?  I can't seem to find one.

Edit to add: I found a pic of the envelope reverse, on patternreview.com; here's the link if anyone else needs to have a look  :)
https://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/88460

« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 17:51:47 PM by Madame Cholet »

jen

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 18:46:10 PM »
I like 6504, the top with batwing sleeves, and a cross over front, but I probably wouldn't make it so long in the back.

Efemera

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 18:57:12 PM »
Nothing takes my fancy...

DementedFairy

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 19:05:25 PM »
Only the Tilton
C'est moi!

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 19:21:08 PM »
I too like 6514.  Unusual to find a princess line dress with CF seam and I'm not sure about the cold shoulder sleeves - OK maybe for summer.

6518 looks very 1970s to me.  I had a maternity top very much like that!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 18:26:12 PM »
Only the Tilton

I added this to my never ending list of patterns to buy in the next flash sale, but I will make it dress length.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Tamnymore

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 19:01:32 PM »
Yes I might get the Tilton patterns next time there's a sale. I get a lot of their patterns and some definitely become TNTs. However I sometimes feel I'm buying more or less the same patttern with a few different twiddles. Asymmetric shirt anyone?
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

LeilaMay

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 17:29:52 PM »
I like the shapes of 6505 - but it's a stretch fabric, and I've never worked with stretch.
Are there any hints somewhere on the forum?

Madame Cholet

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 10:28:45 AM »
I like the shapes of 6505 - but it's a stretch fabric, and I've never worked with stretch.
Are there any hints somewhere on the forum?

@LeilaMay I like 6505 too, I especially like the piecing on the back. It seems longer in the pattern drawing than on the model. I love the shape on the line drawing as it looks like it would flow down past the hips, which would be my preferred length were I making it for myself.

I've not seen any individual threads here on sewing with stretch, **** but for sewing stretch fabric without an overlocker then I would use a ballpoint or a stretch needle, set the machine to a narrow zigzag (to allow for any stretching along the seams during wear) to sew the seams, and then sew an overlock or zigzag stitch to bind the edges of the sewn seams.
It would be best to use a synthetic rather than cotton thread as cotton may snap as the fabric stretches during normal wear.
You'll need to sew in a length of tape in each shoulder seam to stop the seam from stretching, but I daresay this would be covered in the pattern instructions.
I have seen posts here about doing the hems/necklines, and I wish I'd bookmarked them now, esp. those mentioning using various tapes to stabilise the hems for sewing. A quick search should turn them up though.
Some people use a double needle to do the topstitching on the hems but I found that a mega faff and soon gave up on that. I just used to do two lines of straight stitching instead. I have heard of people using woolly nylon thread (-normally used with overlockers or coverstitch machines) in the bobbin, as it is a thread which has some give in it, but I have never done that myself.
A good idea would be to practice practice practice on scraps first too  :)

**** because clearly I wasn't looking, lol... there's this very recent one:
http://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,3307.msg48001.html

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 13:54:37 PM by Madame Cholet »