The Sewing Place

fixing a belt

rowe1311

fixing a belt
« on: January 17, 2018, 19:52:04 PM »
I am having a few problems with my Frister Rossman machine from the 80s.  It has been going great, and since it was serviced a couple of years ago it hasn't been used much.  Recently I took it with me for a day course and it was fine. After that day, it seems to have gone backwards.  The bulb is a bit erratic and I think the drive belt is either too slack or something else.  When I start the machine it wurrs for a little while, and then goes after a few seconds usually with a little more pressure on the foot pedal.  I am guessing this issue is to do with the drive belt. 

How easy is it to either replace the drive belt, or tighten it?  And if so, how will I know if it is too slack when I open up the machine?  I don't care too much for the bulb, and I am assuming the machine is fairly safe as it was serviced a couple of years ago and not used much.  It doesn't bother me that the light doesn't always work, but I am wondering if it is at all linked to the wurring noise at the beginning.  I am assuming it is the belt but it might be something else. 

Barnyard

Re: fixing a belt
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 23:38:05 PM »
It may be the belt tension but I do not see how this can alter if left unused. A more likely scenario is the machine has "dried" through not beign used. Give it a clean and a lube and I would bet it runs just fine. The whine you hear is the motor, it is trying to overcome the friction caused by sticky gears, rods, armatures, bushings and basically anything that moves horizontally or vertically. Clean and lube, leave to rest for a few hours and then try again.

Barny

rowe1311

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 09:01:40 AM »
It may be the belt tension but I do not see how this can alter if left unused. A more likely scenario is the machine has "dried" through not beign used. Give it a clean and a lube and I would bet it runs just fine. The whine you hear is the motor, it is trying to overcome the friction caused by sticky gears, rods, armatures, bushings and basically anything that moves horizontally or vertically. Clean and lube, leave to rest for a few hours and then try again.

Barny

Oiling sounds easier than changing the belt so will try that again.  I did oil it before using it for the course I took, but no harm doing it again and seeing if it makes a difference. 

Thank you

rowe1311

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 19:29:06 PM »
The machine is now well oiled and a loose thread removed from the bobbin casing bit, so much better.  Thank you Barnyard. 

It is surprising how quickly this machine dries out as it was pretty liberally oiled about 6 weeks ago, and felt bone dry today.  I must remember to oil more often.