The Sewing Place

DPStudio 406

jen

DPStudio 406
« on: January 18, 2018, 10:06:53 AM »
To toile or not to toile, that is the question. Unusually for me I'm tracing off what I think is my size rather than hacking up the pattern. I think it might appeal to other family members who come in different sizes, and the pattern itself is on heavy paper, so keeping it seems like a good idea. The seam allowances are only 1cm, another consideration when it comes to thinking about size. I have a couple of fabric possibilities lined up in stash, the one I really want to try is a plaid. Whatcha think ladies? Could it work in a random unmatchy way or just look amateur? I'm thinking I'd have to try to get at least one side seam lined up.

Vegegrow

Re: DPStudio 406
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 10:29:29 AM »
https://dpstudio-fashion.com/en/sewing-patterns/333-le-406a-and-b-long-asymmetric-skirt-with-ruffle-detail.html
I think you should get away with just matching the unruffled side seam .. nice pattern let us know how you get on
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 10:47:36 AM »
Lovely pattern, and I think using plaid would be great.  The fact that you can't match it along the ruffle will nicely emphasise the seam and design.  I also like the idea of using heavier looking fabrics for fancy frilly skirts.

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 11:23:10 AM »
Oh to be slim enough to wear that skirt, it's gorgeous!

Plaid sounds fantastic, please share pics.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 11:24:40 AM »
I've just looked at their other patterns, oh how I wish I was young and slim, they have some amazing designs!

Madame Cholet

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 11:34:41 AM »

jen

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 12:51:37 PM »
There are a few things I like, but many of them hover on 'the will it look c**p on anyone over 30' line. I felt the skirt, with boots, would be about ok and if not I have a daughter who hovers between my size and one down. The hooded cape looks great on the model, but I fear would be sack not tied round the middle on me.

Lizzy777

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 12:52:23 PM »
That's such a lovely design, thanks for sharing it.

I like it in the plain fabric. A deep, rich colour fabric (like the one in the link) is what I would go for.

If I was going to go for a plaid, I'd go for a smaller design and stronger colours like red and black or green and black etc. That's just how I visualise it but am sure whatever you choose will look good.

Hope you are able to post a picture of the skirt when it is completed. Would be nice to see it.

Lizzy

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 17:29:11 PM »
Love the pattern @jen and watched the funny little vid.  Can't help you with plaid as I have no experience of sewing with it, but there is a vogue asymmetric skirt pattern that uses a 'window pane' check for the sample.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 18:34:10 PM »
I would go with the plad, match it on the straight seam and then of kilter for the flounce. Skirt a bit too fussy for me but love this top https://dpstudio-fashion.com/en/patrons-de-couture-tops/321-top-whit-kimono-short-sleeve.html Another one for my never ending wish list.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Madame Cholet

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 09:05:01 AM »
@jen I can't wait to see how your skirt turns out, please do keep us posted!
And thanks so much for sharing the link to that pattern site.
I keep going back and finding designs that I really really like - like these flares:
https://dpstudio-fashion.com/en/trousers/193-le-302a-et-b-flare-and-classic-narrow-trousers.html
They remind me of the original Star Trek series, and I want some  :trousers:  :loveit:

jen

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 09:26:18 AM »
Yes, I think the majority of the designs are definitely on the young/daring side, but though the actual patterns are quite pricey my impression so far is that they are properly and professionally drafted, unlike some indies I could mention.

jen

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 12:50:22 PM »
OK here's a couple of caveats which I've just come across. The yardage given is for a size 38, which happens to be the one I'm making, so no bigee. Secondly, looking at the layouts, the straight grain line is not treated in a normal way. Usually, straight grain refers to the warp threads. The layout has one skirt piece warp-wise, one weft-wise. This affects the yardage if you're using a fabric which won't like you being free with direction - obviously those with nap, but also any fabric where the stronger thread is in the warp. Lots of my duppions for instance have a strong warp but weak weft.
For the future I would def. suggest not getting your fabric until you've checked your pattern from this firm. For me, the plaid I first thought of is out, it was on the short side to start with. I have another plaid I might try, still pondering this. I'm fabric fasting and trying very hard not to buy new stuff until the mountain of fabric lengths in my sewing room has had the summit hacked off it.