The Sewing Place

ruler quilting

supergran

ruler quilting
« on: January 18, 2018, 22:44:31 PM »
Has anyone tried quilting with rulers? I've been watching some youtube videos about it and now I'm fascinated. If anyone here has tried it I'd be grateful for any feedback as it seems to be a bit expensive if it turns out to be a bad idea. Thanks in advance.  :D

Lilian

Re: ruler quilting
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 22:50:29 PM »
Sewing Quarter have done a few demonstrations of quilting with rulers, I forget the name of them.  You need a special foot to fit to your machine.  It looked successful from what I could see.  Not something I fancy doing though. :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 22:58:15 PM »
I bought a set of Westalee rulers but haven't had time to play with them yet.  I'm aiming to try some cushion covers soon so will report back.

Lilian

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 23:07:47 PM »
Thanks ellabella, that's them Westalee rulers :)
Willing but not always able :)

twopence

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 23:34:45 PM »
I have a set of Bernina rulers and foot which I bought at FOQ last August (they were my 2016 Christmas present) and have had a little play so far.  I think that it will take some time to get fully proficient with them but my initial practice doesn't look too bad.  Manipulating a larger piece or a full quilt will take some doing or plenty of practice.  One thing I learnt very quickly was that I needed to bring my Horn cabinet away from the wall as once the ruler hits you don't go anywhere.

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 10:01:57 AM »
I would like to be able to try them out as I'm really not sure whether or not I would take to it.  With the very, very little I've done I feel I'm leaning a bit more towards fmq.
On Cotton Patch (the only place they're available in the UK) a ruler foot and one curved ruler is £54.95 and a sampler set of rulers is £74.95.  That's quite pricy if you're not sure.  I'm tempted to try just the foot with the one ruler as there could be a lot of possibilities with just a straight and curved edge.
Life's too short for ironing.

Sewingsue

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 10:22:56 AM »
The ruler foot for Bernina machines is £79.50.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

BlueCat

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 11:41:52 AM »
I recently bought the Handi Versa Tool by HandiQuilter.  It’s quite small but has straights and curves on it.  I am still at the stage of practicing with it, but it’s a good size for my small hands. 
I didn’t want to go to the expense of buying the larger, more expensive rulers, in case I couldn’t ‘handle’ them, especially on a large quilt.
I also had to buy the 2pack of special feet for my Janome (about £25 if I remember correctly)
SG, one day I will make it up your way and pay a visit to Kate’s shop.  Do you know if she sells basting spray?

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 12:09:17 PM »
Do you know if she sells basting spray?

Empress Mills have a good Sale on at the moment ... they are offering 2 x the large size of 505 (usually £12.50 upwards in Emporia) for just under £20.... which is a fab price if you want to buy anything else (do Bears bare ??) to mitigate the £4.50 postage.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

supergran

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 14:34:23 PM »
Thanks for the replies girls. Blue Cat, Kate does sell 505 spray but it's very expensive there and I got my last one from Amazon for less than half the price. The Empress Mills one that Iminei mentioned is a good buy as well.
I'm still debating the rulers. I have a Bernina and their prices are so high! Cotton Patch only seem to do the Westerlee rulers, but Quilt Direct have more choices. They sell the Clarity ruler foot which is only about £28, although I'd still have to buy a Bernina shank for £17, then at least one ruler. I priced it up at £63.50, which is still cheaper than just a Bernina foot. I also looked at Silesian Quilt who have an online shop and also sell through Amazon. There's are amazingly cheap, £16.90 for a foot and £10 for a Bernina shank. They are based in London but their warehouse is in Poland. Don't know about the quality of them though. Maybe too cheap to be any good? I'll have to give it more thought.  -<

BlueCat

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 16:23:59 PM »
SG...from Amazon plus postage comes to around £14....is that about right?
Iminei...Empress prices are dearer (£12.50) plus £10 for EU postage

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 16:30:32 PM »
Sorry BC, I thought you lived over here .. no clue in your profile box.

maybe you should have  .... Sipping Sangria In Spain ....  Or is that SG's moniker ?

It goes quite a long way at least two or three large quilts ... usually the nozzle bungs up before it runs out (clean with very hot water) but it does depend how you use it.

I always have 2 at home so I have advance warning of when I need to reorder.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 16:33:02 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

supergran

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 18:15:50 PM »
Blue Cat, yes it was something like 9.99 for 500 ml. I usually add one if I'mbuying something else as well. Might be worth getting a couple if you don't use Amazon very often and the postage should be the same for 2 of them.

Iminei, what a PITA! I hate it when you get show through. I don't like messing around with the tension either but if you remember exactly where you started from and just move the dial a little until you get it right, it should be ok? Does going slower while using the wide stitch make any difference?
Oops sorry Iminei, I'm on the wrong thread with this  one.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 18:48:05 PM by supergran »

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 18:48:40 PM »
I usually use one can of 505 per quilt  :|
Triumph of hope over experience :D

supergran

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 18:51:35 PM »
The large size 500 ml one?  :o