The Sewing Place

ruler quilting

supergran

Re: ruler quilting
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 18:54:16 PM »
Blue Cat, where did you get your handiquilter ruler, and is it suitable for a rather small machine? I've got a Bernina 350 which has quite a small harp but I've got a large extension table on it so plenty room at the left of the needle and at the back.

BlueCat

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 19:31:20 PM »
Think I got it from The Cotton Patch £22.50 plus postage.
It is nice small size (for small hands like mine) about 7x4 ins, and i think it’s suitable for any home sewing machine.

maliw

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 19:52:04 PM »
There is this site
http://alysstitchyfingers.co.uk/
I saw a programme on Hochanda before Christmas where there was a demo.
I'm still toying with the idea but no closer to a decision.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

supergran

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 18:39:35 PM »
I'm still toying with the idea but no closer to a decision.
Likewise Maliw. Sometimes I'm dead keen and then I wonder how often I'd use it.  -<

Kad

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 20:41:16 PM »
Creative Grids have 4 Angela Walters quilting rulers for sale, each has a demonstration video on the website. They seem to be comparable in price with both the Westerlee rulers from The Cotton Patch and Hochanda, and the Alys Stitchy Fingers rulers. They also have a non-stick sheet for your sewing machine bed which is much less expensive than the one sold by Westerlee.

Might be tempted, I get 10% off at Creative Grids  :devil:
Producing patchwork on the periphery of Preston

supergran

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2018, 21:21:54 PM »
Thanks for that Kad, I'll have a look at those. I think I can get a discount at Creative Grids as well. I've been watching Youtube videos and am getting more keen on the idea of the rulers, but keep reading conflicting info on the thickness of rulers you should use on a short shank machine. Some say you should always use 1/4 inch thick ones even though they don't actually fit behind the foot, yet some of the Westerlee videos show them being used on the same machine as mine with no problem. What to do???
I actually had a little go using my ordinary free motion foot and a straight ordinary ruler (yes, I know they say not to) and with care it worked ok. Better to have the correct ones for regular use though.