The Sewing Place

ruler quilting

supergran

Re: ruler quilting
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 18:54:16 PM »
Blue Cat, where did you get your handiquilter ruler, and is it suitable for a rather small machine? I've got a Bernina 350 which has quite a small harp but I've got a large extension table on it so plenty room at the left of the needle and at the back.

BlueCat

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 19:31:20 PM »
Think I got it from The Cotton Patch £22.50 plus postage.
It is nice small size (for small hands like mine) about 7x4 ins, and i think it’s suitable for any home sewing machine.

maliw

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 19:52:04 PM »
There is this site
http://alysstitchyfingers.co.uk/
I saw a programme on Hochanda before Christmas where there was a demo.
I'm still toying with the idea but no closer to a decision.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

supergran

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 18:39:35 PM »
I'm still toying with the idea but no closer to a decision.
Likewise Maliw. Sometimes I'm dead keen and then I wonder how often I'd use it.  -<

Kad

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 20:41:16 PM »
Creative Grids have 4 Angela Walters quilting rulers for sale, each has a demonstration video on the website. They seem to be comparable in price with both the Westerlee rulers from The Cotton Patch and Hochanda, and the Alys Stitchy Fingers rulers. They also have a non-stick sheet for your sewing machine bed which is much less expensive than the one sold by Westerlee.

Might be tempted, I get 10% off at Creative Grids  :devil:
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

supergran

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2018, 21:21:54 PM »
Thanks for that Kad, I'll have a look at those. I think I can get a discount at Creative Grids as well. I've been watching Youtube videos and am getting more keen on the idea of the rulers, but keep reading conflicting info on the thickness of rulers you should use on a short shank machine. Some say you should always use 1/4 inch thick ones even though they don't actually fit behind the foot, yet some of the Westerlee videos show them being used on the same machine as mine with no problem. What to do???
I actually had a little go using my ordinary free motion foot and a straight ordinary ruler (yes, I know they say not to) and with care it worked ok. Better to have the correct ones for regular use though.

Sewingsue

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2018, 09:05:54 AM »
I'm still debating the rulers. I have a Bernina and their prices are so high! Cotton Patch only seem to do the Westerlee rulers, but Quilt Direct have more choices. They sell the Clarity ruler foot which is only about £28, although I'd still have to buy a Bernina shank for £17, then at least one ruler. I priced it up at £63.50, which is still cheaper than just a Bernina foot. I also looked at Silesian Quilt who have an online shop and also sell through Amazon. There's are amazingly cheap, £16.90 for a foot and £10 for a Bernina shank. They are based in London but their warehouse is in Poland. Don't know about the quality of them though. Maybe too cheap to be any good? I'll have to give it more thought.  -<
Supergran, did you ever do anything about getting a ruler foot and rulers for your Bernina?

I have just found out that a local sewing machine shop is hosting a ruler demo in a couple of weeks. I am tempted, depending on how I feel when I see the demo, but am very reluctant to spend £79.50 for the Bernina foot.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Kad

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2018, 09:27:56 AM »
I posted earlier re Angela Walters rulers at Creative Grids, but I ended up buying the Janome Ruler Work Kit, (with 6 rulers plus a Cross Hair Ruler), designed by Leonie West, of Westerlee Rulers. They came with instructions, a dvd and a pattern to make a holder for the rulers.

I've practiced on a 3'square quilt sandwich and have just started on my latest quilt - takes a bit of getting used to especially on the larger quilt - all the demos that I saw used a small sandwich - but I think that I'm winning
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 06:00:47 AM by Kad »
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

supergran

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2018, 20:49:30 PM »
@Sewingsue  I ended up biting the bullet and getting the Bernina foot as I saw a couple of youtbe tutorials that said some of the other brands wobbled a bit and I didn't want to risk damaging my machine. I got the versa tool by handiquilter at the same time and managed reasonably well with it on some parts of the mystery quilt. Then I got a couple of the ones by Silesian Quilt (look at them on Amazon) and the two I got worked very well, but you have to be careful how to position them on a small machine like mine. I would like to get the feather ones, but looking closer at the Silesian ones, they don't seem to have enough placement marks on them, so I think the Westerlee ones would be better. Tell us how the demonstration goes at the shop.

Sewingsue

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2018, 22:23:43 PM »
Thanks Supergran, I wish you hadn't agreed with my concerns about buying other than Bernina.
I will wait until after the demo (although I have been watching the YouTube links) and then decide if I can justify the costs.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

rubywishes

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2018, 08:25:24 AM »
I bought the Westalee Ruler Foot and some rulers to use with my Juki. After practising for a while I forgot to make sure my foot was completely lowered before lowering the needle......made a shocking noise when they collided and ended up needing a trip to the technician. It scared me so much I've packed the ruler foot and rulers away and doubt I'll use them again. And now I have a new Janome 8900 I'm even more terrified of damaging things. I just can't trust myself to remember to do things in a certain order when I have never had to do it before....."old dog, new tricks".  :'(
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

supergran

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2018, 19:03:32 PM »
That must have been an expensive mistake RW. No wonder you don't want to use them again. Janome has it's own ruler foot, so it might be worth checking if you can lower the needle before the foot on the new machine. The Bernina one is made so that you can do it without risk, so a good reason for buying it I think, as I would be bound to forget at some point as well.

wrenkins

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2018, 19:32:46 PM »
I've managed to 'sew' my presser foot twice now with my 'new' machine. Nothing to do with quilting rulers, just blatant stupidity! I really need to read the instructions!  :|  :(
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sewingsue

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2018, 11:49:58 AM »
I now have more info about the ruler demo on Saturday.
It looks as if she is using the Westerlee rulers and apparently they are offering a 10% discount on rulers ordered/bought on the day.

supergran

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2018, 19:34:39 PM »
The Westerlee ones seem to be the most popular and they make some beautiful designs. I hope you enjoy the demo.