The Sewing Place

Darn Repair on Jeans

Sandra

Darn Repair on Jeans
« on: January 21, 2018, 10:51:05 AM »
I hate this sort of repair... :\

A decent brand of jeans (Armani...unless they're fake)...and they seem to be in a good state. They're not threadbare or worn, so it's a slightly odd and quite dramatic tear.
I checked to see if I had any spare denim in this colour but have nothing suitable, so have decided the best and neatest thing to do is a darn.

So...first thing is to open all the seams to be able to work on it properly.

Starting with the inside leg seam...next undo the seam beneath the fly....then unpick the fly facing a little to be able to move it out of the way.

The damage needs to be backed with a bit of fabric. I have used a scrap of Egyptian cotton. It doesn't need to be thick fabric. After it's darned, it will feel more rigid, so thick fabric will make it too stiff.

This fabric needs to be tacked onto the back of the damaged area. You need to try to get the rip as close as you can to its original shape so the jeans will fit back together again when you restitch all the seams.
I also tacked across the frayed jeans threads to try to hold them as flat as possible. I snipped some of the worst of the straggly white threads off these too.

Try to match a thread as close in colour as possible....and...Darn....

When you're done, remove all the tacking threads and trim off any excess backing fabric.
Pictures show from the back, where it's clearer how I've stitched it. The white threads are always annoying on jeans. I sometimes feel I'd like to colour them in to hide it  0_0

And then you just need to stitch all your seams back together.

All done. Not an especially enjoyable or nice job, but it's better than flashing your crotch!

Sandra.
xxx

Ellabella

Re: Darn Repair on Jeans
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 11:00:43 AM »
You may hate this sort of repair but you've made a great job!

I hope you charged enough, opening then restitching those seams took time.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 11:08:04 AM by Ellabella »

Manuela

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 11:06:01 AM »
You did a fantastic job there, as Ellabella said, I hope you charge sufficiently for that. All that opening of seams must have taken ages.

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 11:25:52 AM »
Great repair, Sandra. And as you say better than flashing your crotch... which should be left to the little trolls on the ends of pencils we seem to be discussing on the Today thread.

I did a repair like this on DS's jeans recently. It waa caused by a combination of tight jeans (worn rather low IMHO and therefore putting more strain on the fabric in places) and an enthustiac walk up a hill.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Happymrsg

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 14:50:30 PM »
I often have to do a similar repair to DS's jeans. I do something very similar but without opening the seam.

Pinkstar

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 15:33:07 PM »
Great job Sandra.  Like Happy I do something similar for my Sons jeans. again without opening the seams.

Vegegrow

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 16:20:07 PM »
Lovely neat job Sandra I too have done this repair on DH's work trousers many times...  :S
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

fajita

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 16:25:59 PM »
I've patched similar problems many times for the teenager. They are not neat, but he still wears them.

Your repairs, on the other hand, are wonderful. I will ensure he doesn't see what I should be doing.

Surest1tch

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 18:29:34 PM »
What an absolutely lovely job you've done on them

daisy

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 22:03:49 PM »
Beautiful job Sandra!
I get great satisfaction out of a repair like that, but mine are nowhere as near as nicely done as yours. It would never cross my mind to open the seams. You've inspired me to attempt a more thorough job next time. Looking down at the threadbare knee of my jeans, I figure it'll be quite soon. :)

Greybird

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 22:46:44 PM »
What a heroic job! My solution would have been the the bin - Armani notwithstanding. I can see that my game needs raising.

Kenora

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 23:04:28 PM »
Wow, Sandra, you really have a lot of patience to do such a careful and painstaking repair. You've done a great job even though it can't be very rewarding.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Sandra

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 08:28:31 AM »
Thank you.

I went to the trouble of undoing these because the rip ran right up to the seams. I'd have had a problem stitching them because of how bulky it is at the bottom of the fly...6? layers of denim at that point, and that's too thick and lumpy to get the machine foot up close to.
I don't use an industrial machine.

Also, of course they're much easier to work on when you can lay them out flat.

Sandra.
xxx

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 10:22:32 AM »
Sandra, what a lovely job!  I did a similar repair to a pair of lounge pants for SiL after Christmas, but nothing like as neat - I just used as near as poss fabric match.  Never crossed my mind to darn....

So many instances of this problem, I wonder if there is a case for putting a patch on first, before the wear starts?  I'll get me coat....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.