The Sewing Place

Sewing black.

Catllar

Sewing black.
« on: March 11, 2017, 17:56:44 PM »
I posted a pic of this sample, late last year and I've started making up the whole group. I've got 18 to do. The next time I agree to sew black, please will someone shoot me - nightmare.  -<  Today I've been attaching stretch voile sleeves into scuba sleeve holes - the scuba is bouncy and the voile seems to disappear - can't see squat,  >:) then the overlocker threw a wobbly, so I've stopped now.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

DementedFairy

Re: Sewing black.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 18:09:58 PM »
It is beautiful though!  I've just finished sewing  a black corset, black dress and a black-and-white strobing-stripes blouse.  And there are several metres of black wax cotton waiting to be cut out.  Sucker for punishment!
C'est moi!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 18:21:07 PM »
I seem to remember having no trouble sewing black when I was younger. Wore a lot of black then. Nowadays I can't see a flippin' thing. I have to have lights everywhere  :angry:

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 22:39:08 PM »
I reckon the lightbulbs aren't what they were 8) 

I usually sew in the afternoon to get max light into my sewing room, but the downside is the sun is blinding in my face. I really want to re-organize space but not got the time at the moment

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 22:43:07 PM »
It is a lovely dress though, I love the colour! I know what you mean with black and youth  >:) Good luck tomorrow.
Willing but not always able :)

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 03:13:55 AM »
... but the downside is the sun is blinding in my face.

Now you're not going to get sympathy that way!

I know exactly what you mean and I've just got another daylight lamp for my birthday (after heavy hinting - if you can call an email with links to all the desired objects on the sellers' pages a hint). So now I've two on my sewing table and one on my side table for hand sewing (the floor lamp is too yellow and can't find a daylight bulb to fit it). 

The daylight bulbs seem to make black on black clearer than anything else - although I've sometimes taken it to my DD's to sit and do it in her conservatory - no worries about being blinded in Northamptonshire!  -<
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 20:37:51 PM »
Oh bloody hell - I have to unpick overlocking on the bloody black - I was trying to save fabric for the lining so I used a bit of old light weight  black jersey  - I serged it to the main green/black non-stretch fabric and the jersey has b....xed it up.  >:)Gotta unpick it ( my bad) tomorrow. :angry: :angry:

Lilian

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 21:02:51 PM »
 :( nightmare!
Willing but not always able :)

Vegegrow

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 21:05:23 PM »
 :'( :'( :'(
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 17:56:58 PM »
7 out of the 18 finished. Patterns drafting for th either sizes now, so that'll give my eyes a break tomorrow.

Catllar

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 22:46:02 PM »
SO while I was at the drafting business I thought I'd do one for one of our ladies in another choreography : princess fitted look for a top and skirt.  She is a  generous lady and I didn't have a pattern anywhere near large enough. So away I went and a very odd looking pattern emerged. Hmm, better make a muslin. SO I've drafted the pattern and made a muslin , took it in last night to be tried on and she says happily - I'm not dancing in May, I'm going to a christening. Say I through gritted teeth - " sudden invite, was it?"  Oh no, they invited me a month ago.  Exit Jan Stage Left stuffing muslin back in bag...... Gr

Fabric Lover

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 09:15:42 AM »
Hmm, better make a muslin. SO I've drafted the pattern and made a muslin , took it in last night to be tried on and she says happily - I'm not dancing in May, I'm going to a christening. Say I through gritted teeth - " sudden invite, was it?"  Oh no, they invited me a month ago.  Exit Jan Stage Left stuffing muslin back in bag...... Gr
People are so thoughtless aren't they? Lovely dress.
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 09:41:04 AM »
Bet the air was blue in your house Cat!

Some folk are just so thoughtless.....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Catllar

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 09:29:55 AM »
FINISHED - all delivered yesterday and  sewing room looks empty now. When they start back after Easter holiday break I'll go and do final adjustments as the skirts will have dropped - I left them all on hangers for that reason.  Got a couple of alterations to do - why do children keep growing?? >< after I've made their dresses? 

Then I'll start on the last batch of 14 - piece of cake!

Catllar

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 22:10:32 PM »
So here's the finished job - couldn't get all 18 to stand still in one place - worse than kids!

The green and white ones are all recuperated fabric made from previous costumes.

Oh! Oops - seem to have come through as a download - sorry.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 22:14:34 PM by Catllar »