The Sewing Place

It's time for plan B....

b15erk

It's time for plan B....
« on: January 23, 2018, 09:10:42 AM »
Well, it would be if I had one.  I'm feeling great sympathy with Lowena atm and wonder what I learnt in all the years I've been sewing.

From the beginning.  I need a frock for a Christening at the weekend, and decided on a shirtdress.  Made the toile with just a few small concerns which were mainly about sleeves.  I wore this toile on Sunday, and was very pleased with it.

The usual agony over fabric for the 'real' frock, but I went with the one which went best with my new shoes, and I was ggod to go.  All cut out, then decided to line the body, not a big problem.  Back pleat and little hangy thingy done, front pleats done, and on to the placket.  This went in beautifully, perfectly aligned and just ready to stitch the bottom down - when IT happened.  I went to fit the collar, and realised - I hadn't done the yoke!!

At that point, I restrained myself, but walked downstairs and had a rather large V&T.....

I really don't want to attempt to unpick the placket on this one just yet, I think it might just make things worse as I've already clipped into the corners.

So, I've chosen to start again with new fabric.  A bit more boring compared to the first one, but I can't face the unpicking, and don't have enough fabric to re-cut the front.

Wish me more luck with this second one, I think I'll need it....

Jessie  :'( :'( :'(

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ravingdoll

Re: It's time for plan B....
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 09:16:58 AM »
Oh dear Jessie. I do think the January blues/bad weather/illnesses are getting to us all. I baked a Victoria sponge last night and half way through cooking realised I had forgotten to put in the caster sugar. We all just have to hang in - better times ahead.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 09:28:43 AM »
Probably no consolation Jessie but lovely placket (ducks below the parapet).
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 09:31:22 AM »
I was very proud of that placket Plosh.  >:)

Now I'll have to make it wider.... but not yet!  -<

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 09:35:05 AM »
I'm glad you have a rescue plan Jessie, it looks lovely - but much better to keep it for sometime when you don't have a deadline and are less cross with it and yourself.

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 09:37:45 AM »
What's a placket?  :| What's its function?  :|
Feel for you Jessie  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 09:49:21 AM »
A placket is an opening in a garment.  Most often it refers to a side opening in a dress, but technically also includes a back zip, the front of a shirt, the opening above a cuff, flies in trousers etc.  Most plackets nowadays are closed with a zip, but buttons, press studs and hooks & eyes are traditional fasteners.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 09:54:36 AM »
Thanks Bren  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 13:34:24 PM »
@b15erk: I feel your pain - something would have been kicked through a window if that was me.  The fabric is so pretty and the placket, immaculate.

justpottering

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 16:02:59 PM »
Bummer

That's a lovely looking placket Jessie and that fabric is gorgeous  :loveit:
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 16:21:16 PM »
Well, Number 2 has been cut out, and the collar assembled.  Hopefully, I will get a bit further on tonight.  It isn't a difficult pattern, but as usual, there are a few alterations .....

When I get home, the first job will be to assemble the yoke - I won't make that mistake again!  :|

Not so fond of the new fabric, but it will match my new shoes!  ;)

Jessie

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 19:37:34 PM »
Look forward to seeing the finished dress.

We need a dress rehearsal - shoes and all - with an 'action shot' taken by the husband. 0_0  It's okay, I know this isn't going to happen. :D

Surest1tch

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 20:56:03 PM »
I feel for you, I really do