The Sewing Place

How do you attach a collar and stand?

b15erk

How do you attach a collar and stand?
« on: January 23, 2018, 10:12:52 AM »
I know there are several ways of doing this, but thought it worth asking the question as techniques do tend to evolve.

I'm tempted to try the one pass method where you press up the sa's on the collar stand and slip them over the neck edge.

Your thoughts please, will as always be much appreciated.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Stitches

Re: How do you attach a collar and stand?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 10:55:03 AM »
jessie have sent you a pm

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 13:13:09 PM »
I usually sandwich the collar in the stand first and turn up the inside SA of the stand before I sew round it.  I attach the RS of the stand to the neckline then top stitch catching  the inside  of the stand.
I often find it hard to get a neat front where the stand joins the button band.

I've never tried stitching the stand to the neckline first then poking the collar into the top seam which has been left unattached for an appropriate length.  I might try it one day as it could be easier to get the front bits tidy.
Life's too short for ironing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 13:17:07 PM »
Do you know about the 'Burrito method'?

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 14:33:33 PM »
I did the same way for donkeys years but when I made several Grainline Alder shirts a few years ago I tried this method, I found it much neater
http://foursquarewalls.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/sewing-collar-different-order.html

lakaribane

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 17:06:32 PM »
Pam Erny's method

Thread Theory's method (additional links at the end)

IMO, CF is the hardest and most difficult part of the process so the one I've saved and use is this one: Gigi's method

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 09:03:32 AM »
As usual girls you have given me so much information!  Thank you!

I'll have another look through the links today, but I'm already seeing some good advice.  Interestingly, no one is advocating the 'one pass'  technique - unless I've missed something.

Keep the information coming girls, it's all good!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.