The Sewing Place

Jersey "not suitable for newbies"

UttaRetch

Re: Jersey "not suitable for newbies"
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 20:27:51 PM »
There is a Textile Centre in Walthamstow (London), but the shop is small and will only have a tiny proportion of the stock.  Still, it's been a while since I was in Walthamstow and I do like leisurely bus journeys. :D
What goes around comes around.

Marniesews

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 22:38:14 PM »
(These days I don't bother with ballpoints and just use Stretch Needles for all knits and any wovens with lycra.  Fewer Needle types to manage)

Me too, @Morgan , and since I discovered BSK sold the Organ Superstretch HAx1SP chrome coated in packs of 10 I now use those for everything. They last so much longer too!  :) They're often not shown online for some reason so it helps that they're on the route of a weekly visit to my friend which means I can just pop in and save postage as well.  ;)

As for the fabric...I notice this is a lightweight jersey so I suspect all the jersey 'quirks' will be magnified so that anything less than gentle handling and the right needles, stitches etc will be punished. I suspect that's the reason for the warning.

I'd also suggest to stay clear of the lightning stitch and triple straight stitch as they are brutes for anything at all delicate. A small wobble stitch is probably a safer bet.
Aka Jacky F in a former life...

sewingj

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2018, 07:52:23 AM »
Thanks everyone.  Just one more question.  Did I read somewhere that it is best to cut jersey in a single layer?  Cutting out layouts usually fold fabric in half lengthways but when I have done that for jersey it has taken me ages to get it straight

UttaRetch

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2018, 08:01:35 AM »
Fine fabrics are best cut as a single layer as they tend to move about.  If the jersey is firm with not much stretch, then you may be able to cut as usual.
What goes around comes around.