The Sewing Place

Do you go to the cinema/theatre often?

Fajita

Do you go to the cinema/theatre often?
« on: January 24, 2018, 17:26:57 PM »
We go a few times a year, maybe half a dozen at most.

Last week ( or maybe the week before) we (hubby and me) went to see Barnum (The a Greatest Showman, I think it was actually called) at the cinema. Thought it was just ok, but a few contrived lingering looks trying to add a sense of impending romance seemed unnecessary.

Tonight I am going with a friend (the same one you briefly met, @Iminei  ) To see a theatre play, Gallowglass, by Ruth Rendell.

Lowena

Re: Do you go to the cinema/theatre often?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 17:56:28 PM »
Last time I went to the cinema was 1997 - to see Titanic.
We go to the local theatres regularly but not frequently. Last play we saw was The Tempest.
I always wanted to be an actress ( and did some am dram ) and if I had my time again I would have studied Drama
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Roger

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 18:01:10 PM »
Nope! We go about twice a year, I can’t even remember what we went to see... I took the kids to see something last summer...
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

justpottering

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 18:12:13 PM »
used to go all the time once or twice a week, but not a lot appeals to me these days, but when something does we go. We do however get to four or five music concerts a year, especially love the open air ones, DD usually buys us tickets to a favourite artist for mine and DH's birthdays  :)

If we go to a theatre we go to a local small one in Monmouth which is lovely.

When we were courting (yes I still use that word, because we never 'dated' we courted) we used to go to the cinema every Wednesday evening, because it was only £1 it didn't matter what was showing, we used to like to go in where it was warm and not cost a lot, then it would be fish and chips out of the paper eaten on the walk home (DH said I was a cheap date  0_0 )
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 18:23:33 PM »
Off tonight to see The Post, last week was the Churchill one and the week before was The Greatest Showman.

I love to see films on a big screen, in the relative quiet with no interruptions.

My good friend and I go every week unless the offerings are very dire.  Meercat Movies means that we only pay between £4.25 and £4.50 as seniors.

Sometimes we go to see things that are not on our 'nod list' and often these are the ones we enjoy most. 

There are lots of things to look forward to at the moment,  Three Billboards outside Ebbing Missouri is next on the list.
Desperately trying to alliterate in North Yorkshire

sewingj

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 18:29:06 PM »
We are just a few miles from the RST in Stratford - haven`t been for donkey`s years - Shakespeare is not my thing!  Ages ago they used to do a Winter season of non-Shakespeare low-brow offerings which were good - now they`ve decided we have to have culture all year round

Fajita

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 18:30:59 PM »
@Lowena When we lived in Cornwall I went with the playgroup mums to The Minack theatre and saw The Tempest. What a glorious place that is. I can remember the actors prancing about on stage looking like they'd be off the cliff if they put a foot wrong.

Fajita

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 18:34:26 PM »
Oh, how could I forget, @sewingj , we recently went to the RSC at Stratford to see A Christmas Carol. We enjoyed that one.

There were displays in the corridors of some costumes from A Stitch In Time, showing how the breastplates were plastic formed/moulded for the actors, then covered in leather.

crooknees

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 18:35:13 PM »
As a teen back in the 50s/60s. I went to the cinema twice a week. We had two cinemas within 1/4 mile and there was always something we fancied. The last time we went to the cinema was about 2 yrs. ago. Just nothing that takes our fancy.
Theatre is my first love. In the past, I have travelled to Birmingham for a matinee of The Royal Ballet at the Hippodrome. Then the three bus services required to get there, re-organised their time-tables and I could no longer get there and back in a day. Leicester Haymarket Theatre put on excellent plays and musicals, mostly pre-west end. Then the council closed that theatre and built The Curve. I have been several times, but only when I can get a lift back. Again the buses do not allow me to get home the same day. It is only 10 miles away :fish: :fish: :fish:
crooknees - buried under a mountain of fabric and yarn.

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 18:37:23 PM »
The Minack is certainly worth going to @Fajita Last thing we saw there was Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and the "horsemen" had to be very careful not to go off the cliff at full tilt  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Tamnymore

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 19:12:46 PM »
I go to the theatre a lot and the cinema occasionally. We both enjoy classical music and usually go to a concert every weekend. There are some excellent amateur orchestras round us as well as great professional orchestras. We are well blessed with wonderful music.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 19:26:53 PM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Sandra

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 20:04:37 PM »
I go to them both from time to time. I have no 'other half' in my life, and no best friend, so I usually go alone.

The last time I went to the cinema was a couple of weeks ago to see Paddington 2. I loved it.  <3

My next theatre visit is next month for Mamma Mia. I'll be going with my daughter to this....we last saw it 18 months ago in Birmingham.
I also have a ticket to see 'The Play That Goes Wrong', which was highly recommended by a trusted friend. I'll be going alone to this.

Sandra.
xxx

UttaRetch

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 21:27:00 PM »
I used to see on average one film a month, but back then I bought 'Film review' on a regular basis.  The last thing I saw was 'Hidden figures' and have heard about Downsizing, which opened today at my local 'indie' cinema.  However, the cinema is an expense that I can't really afford even on the 'cheap seats' day.  Films come and go before I ever get around to seeing them unless I really make an effort.
What goes around comes around.

twopence

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 21:46:35 PM »
The last film we went to see was Made in Dagenham.  I think that it's down to my being so uncomfortable with my wonky joints and others eating and making noises along with not really fancying the offer,

Kenora

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 22:38:58 PM »
When I lived in London (many years ago) I was a regular theatre goer, and particularly loved the ballet. However, culture is a bit thin on the ground in Cornwall, and I'm not very mobile these days, so I probably haven't attended any form of "entertainment" for 30 years or more.

Before that, I did enjoy a play at The Minack which had a wonderful atmosphere, but a trip to see The Marriage of Figaro at the local leisure centre was a complete disappointment because of the lack of any atmosphere whatsoever, despite the good performances of the English National Opera Company.  :S
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath