The Sewing Place

Do you go to the cinema/theatre often?

Iminei

Re: Do you go to the cinema/theatre often?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 06:59:48 AM »
Gallowglass, by Ruth Rendell.
@Fajita

Good book, let me know if it translates well ... Im often horribly disappointed by the treatment books get by directors of plays/film .. Hannibal was shockingly buggered up (not least by the absence of Jodi Foster and the inclusion of the Flat Faced One) and most Stephen King novels are are total dogs dinner compared to the books ... but to be fair Who could translate the genius of SK to film properly ???!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sewingsue

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 07:12:08 AM »
I used to go to the theatre regularly, but really don't want to go out in the evening nowadays.
I keep intending to get myself organised and go to matinees and daytime cinema shows, but it's too easy to just stay at home and not bother.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Fajita

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 08:52:16 AM »
@Iminei We enjoyed the play.

I hadn't previously read the book, so had made assumptions about what would be happening. I expected excitement and intrigue and a fast pace. The story was much slower paced, and once I'd adjusted to that I enjoyed it. Almost monologueish, but with more people, lol.

It was a book Ruth Rendell had written under the pen name, Barbara Vine.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2018, 09:20:25 AM »
I love to go to the theatre, but unfortunately t'other half doesn't  :(  although when I lived in Manchester we did go to see Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, and very good it was too.  I have seen a few of the big musicals in London in the past, love them!  I'm not keen on provincial theatre though, as the acting is often pretty dire!  Oh dear, that sounds a bit snobbish doesn't it!
I think the last time I went to the cinema was to see Evita, when my daughter was probably about 15/16 - she's now 34  :S

Lowena

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2018, 09:22:47 AM »
However, culture is a bit thin on the ground in Cornwall,

You can say that again  :D :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Efemera

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2018, 09:25:15 AM »
Usually only go to the pictures to see Star Trek or Star Wars ...I like to sit in my PJs an the sofa to watch movies. Can’t stand the random folks you get in a cinema.

b15erk

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2018, 09:31:50 AM »
I don't go to either as often as I would like.  Last film was Beauty and the Beast with two of my girlies, the next will be with them too - they are excellent company.

Last theatre/live music was Barry Manilow  :S (not my choice), a good while ago...  Oh, I went to the local panto last year with Lilya.

I should get out more :)

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lowena

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2018, 09:34:17 AM »
I have never been to a pantomime  -<

Acorn

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2018, 09:38:06 AM »
Pantomimes are great when they're really local ones that make reference to people you know and have lots of in-jokes.  I'm not so keen on the big ones - although I think they can be great for children.

We used to go to a lot of gigs when we were in striking distance of Birmingham, and to the cinema maybe a few times a year.  The last time we went, though, was to the final Harry Potter film.  We went to an old cinema, which really was a fleapit (hadn't been there before) with sticky floors.  Worse than that, it was the end of term for the nearby secondary school... lots of noise, heckling, laughter in all the wrong places, and I got hit on the back of the head by a boiled sweet.   :S

Whenever the new programme for the university Arts Centre comes out we go through it with all good intentions, but by the time we've ruled out weekday evenings in term time (how do people work a full day and then go out in the evenings - tell me, how?) we're left with just a few things that we then forget about until it's too late.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

b15erk

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2018, 09:40:08 AM »
I think the thing I love most about the panto, is the way the children get so involved.  Lilya had never been to a live theatre before, and for the first half she didn't know what to make of it.  By the end, she was joining in enthusiastically with the 'he's behind you', and 'oh no he isn't's).  She loved it.

You really are missing a trick Low, if only to watch the reaction of the children!

Love a good Panto me... ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lowena

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2018, 09:47:44 AM »

but by the time we've ruled out weekday evenings in term time (how do people work a full day and then go out in the evenings - tell me, how?)

Funnily enough we used to find it easier when we both worked. We would both be out of the house for 10 or 11hrs, rush in, coffee,sarnie, off  out to the Mercury in Colchester  (making sure to have chosen clothes suitable for work and theatre  ;))The adrenalin kept us going  :D Since we have retired, we can't be bothered to get ready and go out in the evening and I can't remember the last time I drove in the dark  :|

Ploshkin

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2018, 10:14:51 AM »
Simple answer - no.  It's not DH's thing as it doesn't involve engines or wheels so it's classified as arty farty nonsense.
The last film I saw at the cinema was Evita with Madonna.
DH took me to London for my 60th birthday and I insisted on seeing War Horse.  I knew he hated the thought of going especially as it had the word 'horse' in the title.  He absolutely loved it!

We do occasionally go to see a comedian, Rich Hall was the last one, he was excellent.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2018, 10:17:27 AM »
I love to see comedians, although not many of them get right down here to the Pointy bit!
Recently seen Jeremy Hardy, Mark Steel and Henning Wehn..... all top notch  <3

sewingj

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2018, 10:48:42 AM »
We`ve seen Mark Steel twice doing his "In town" shows - both very good
Absolute favourite though is Bill Bailey - very funny and clever and his musical ability is phenomenal

Samantha

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2018, 14:38:13 PM »
Tend to only go with the kids to the cinema and that isn't very often. Have been to the West end twice in 2017 (again with the kids). Saw Wind in the Willows which was good but we went to the panto at the Palladium on New year's Eve and it was AMAZING! Highly recommend it for 2018, so good that even the husband loved it.