The Sewing Place

Do you go to the cinema/theatre often?

DementedFairy

Re: Do you go to the cinema/theatre often?
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2018, 14:43:00 PM »
We have started to take advantage of my Mondays off by sometimes going to the cinema in the daytime [usually mostly empty, no noisy kids ruining it!]
We loved Wonderwoman, and Paddington 2 is huge fun.
C'est moi!

Greybird

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2018, 14:54:17 PM »
OH and I have never been to the cinema together (since 1993), but I did go with my daughter a few times several years ago. I am not keen to go again though because I found the sound levels much too high for comfort. I would rather decide which films I really want to see and watch on DVD later.

As a child though, my parents took us to the cinema nearly every week. It was one of the few treats they could afford I think. My Dad had a preference for westerns and war films which OH now loves to watch on TV (the older and more black and white the better!) and I think I had seen all of them when the first came out.

Sandra

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2018, 15:19:34 PM »
DH took me to London for my 60th birthday and I insisted on seeing War Horse.

I went to see War Horse in Birmingham.... 3 or 4 years ago? Incredible to see how the horse is 'worked'...very clever.

Absolute favourite though is Bill Bailey - very funny and clever and his musical ability is phenomenal

I took my son to see Bill Bailey....Yes. He's very good isn't he?

Sandra.
xxx

Ploshkin

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2018, 15:49:02 PM »
Incredible to see how the horse is 'worked'...very clever.

I have always loved good animation and puppetry, that was my reason for wanting to see War Horse.  I tried so hard to watch the puppeteers but the animals were just so realistic that your attention was drawn away from the mechanics.  It fascinated me to see how a wooden goose on wheels and a stick could be so incredibly lifelike.
Life's too short for ironing.

Nevis5

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2018, 15:52:17 PM »
I'm a musician so perform fairly regularly in public but I also love ballet and theatre but am not keen on opera or the cinema really.    We're supposed to be seeing His Darkest Hour tomorrow afternoon and went to the panto the other weekend (one of the big ones, didn't really enjoy it, much prefer the local amateur productions).  We're seeing Bill Bailey in March so have fairly eclectic tastes.  I'm lucky that we can get to lots of different venues within a couple of hours.

UttaRetch

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2018, 16:33:44 PM »
I've put a note on calendar to go and see Downsizing on Monday as it's the cheap seats day - £7.50.  It's going to be an expensive day since it's going to cost £3 on the bus to get there and back unless I walk.
What goes around comes around.

twopence

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2018, 16:40:57 PM »
When I was working (for the local blind association) I always did a pantomime trip.  We went to the Oxford Playhouse who did a fantastic touch tour beforehand and it was a full day trip as we had to be there for midday.  The whole cast would be there and the children would be talked through the story before splitting into two groups, one going onto the stage to touch and examine the scenery and props and the other talking to the cast and examining their costumes.  Quite often puppetry was used and the children had plenty of time to examine and see how they worked.  We would then be taken upstairs for tea,coffee and juice and they would eat the picnics they had brought before being taken down into the auditorium for the matinee.  Most of the children would use the audio description along with some of their parents so that they knew how the story was being relayed to their child.  The theatre would supply me with a box of ice creams at the interval to save queuing and I would book our seats for the next year before leaving.  I knew a coach operator and the whole trip for at least fifty three would come in at under a thousand pounds which I would need to fundraiser for.

We now have a theatre here but it’s touch tour is nowhere as good and neither was the one in Milton Keynes.  I do miss those trips.

Francesca

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2018, 20:01:58 PM »
I go to a few films a month and the theatre probably two or three times a year. I'm actually going to see Rat Pack tomorrow as we got £15 tickets!

Last film I saw was Pitch Perfect 3. It was terrible. I enjoyed it very much. My friend and I got jumbo "ice blasts" which we don't usually get because if we go to boy films, they book the middle of the row for the "perfect viewing distance" (that's such a man thing to do isn't it) which means I can't get up to go pee. 'Cos we were on the end, I could finally get the coveted ice blast!

Iminei

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2018, 20:05:59 PM »
I thought you were a camel, Fran !

Ice blast ????????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Francesca

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2018, 20:31:55 PM »
For some reason, when I go to the cinema I just can't hold it in. I think it's a thing I've invented myself. The worry of not being able to go or disturbing people by getting up makes me need to pee more!

Ice blast is like a slush puppy but instead of just fruity it tastes more like sherbet. So gross but I love it and it's a rare treat (last week's was the first in about 5 years!)

Manuela

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2018, 00:10:28 AM »
We go to the movies/theatre several times a month. So far in January we've seen The Showman, Darkest Hour and tomorrow we're off to se All the Money in the World. Theatre pickings are far and few here, we do have the RSC and the National Theatre live broadcast in our favourite Cinema. While not the same, it is the closest thing, and we're able to see great plays without having to go half around the world... That way we saw The Audience, Frankenstein (the Cumberbatch production), Coriolanus (with Hiddlestone), A Winter's Tale (with Judy Dench) ans lots more. On the rare occasion that a production tours to Hong Kong we're keen to go, that happens about once a year. Pickings in classical music and opera are much richer, and due to the number of local orchestras not very expensive.

Vegegrow

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2018, 12:52:03 PM »
We belong to our local independent cinema the subscription is the cost of 6 tickets but gives you 10% off food in their cafe and as we usually eat there it benefits them and us last film we saw was Paddington 2 which we loved we would have seen the latest star wars if I hadn't confined myself to the house to avoid bugs.. we have seen lots of comedians   the latest being Rich Hall who I agree was excellent.. in fact he is probably one of the best we have seen .. My absolute favourite must be Eddie Izzard but Bill Bailey is good as well . They built a new theatre space in Bury and they seem to do some good stuff music comedy shows and one man shows.. we saw Ned Boulting who commentators on the Tour de France and that was a good evening although most of the audience were mamils (middle age men in lycra) We have a absolutely beautiful recency theatre in Bury which was restored several years ago it has a pit with bench seats boxes with 5 seats and the gods we tried it several times after the restoration and found it so uncomfortable we just don't bother any more which is a shame
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

sewingj

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2018, 13:23:08 PM »
When it comes to live shows I have got a bit prudish in my old age.  One reason I like Bill Bailey so much is that he manages to do the whole performance without serious swearing or offensive material.  One of the worst experiences of my life was taking my elderly parents to see Jethro.  We had seen him on tele and found him very funny - his live show is entirely different!  Me, husband and both parents sat in stony silence throughout and it was never spoken of again!!

UttaRetch

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2018, 13:34:12 PM »
A live performance is often very different from what you see on television.  I like Sarah Millican, but her live show is very sweary, which I don't mind.  Love Bill Bailey (such a talented musician) and Eddie Izard, too.
What goes around comes around.

crooknees

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2018, 10:25:37 AM »
Several of your comments have rung a bell with me. DH does not like live theatre. He came with me to see Phantom of the Opera once and I swore never again  :devil: People sitting near to us moved in the interval. He fidgets and sighs all the time. :S
The other irritating habit I hate, is people rustling sweet papers. When The Bolshoi Ballet came for the first time, many years ago, the audience was very mixed and it was noticeable that those who were in evening dress were the worst offenders. They spent the time passing boxes of chocolates along the row and adjusting their clothing and patting their hair. The group in front of me even had  bottles of wine to top up their glasses :devil: It was obviously just a social occasion for them. The real ballet fans were mesmerised by the dancers and sat silent and respectful in their seats, while trying to see around the bobbing heads of those who should have taken themselves to a restaurant for the evening. :devil: :devil: :devil:
crooknees - buried under a mountain of fabric and yarn.