The Sewing Place

Do you go to the cinema/theatre often?

UttaRetch

Re: Do you go to the cinema/theatre often?
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2018, 13:27:28 PM »
It's probably been thirty years since I had my last theatre experiences - Bubbling brown sugar the musical, and an evening class workshop of Hamlet, which was one of the set text we were studying.  More recently, but still a long time ago, I went to an English National Opera production of Don Giovanni.
What goes around comes around.

Francesca

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2018, 13:36:31 PM »
Rat Pack last night was great. I have seen it before but probably about 13 years ago when I don't think I really knew who anyone was except Frank Sinatra. Enjoyed it last night though I admit I found the race jokes really awkward and hardly anyone in the audience laughed at them  :o But the man who plays as Frank Sinatra is amazing! I've always liked Sinatra as my Nanny told me she only went on a date with my Grandpa because he looked a bit like him, and I can see it! My Grandpa used to sing in the bath in the mornings just like him  :loveit:

I am lucky that I have a friend who is a wigmaker for the Royal Ballet and is based in ROH, I have been able to get last minute tickets a few times that way. She said she'll take me on a tour backstage when she had some time but she's so busy!

Ellabella

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2018, 20:56:31 PM »
I went to see The Phantom Thread last night and was somewhat underwhelmed, but the clothes were gorgeous.

Most of the characters were so unpleasant that I ceased to care what happened to any of them and just looked at the costumes.

On a plus though, my local Vue has reduced prices to £4.99 a seat so with 2for1 I spent the grand total of £2.49.
Desperately trying to alliterate in North Yorkshire

UttaRetch

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2018, 08:18:52 AM »
I still intend to see the Phantom thread.  My local 'arthouse' charges £7.50 on the 'cheap seat Monday', but I will look at Vue prices as there are a couple on the bus routes close to my house.

Francesca

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2018, 11:11:17 AM »
I still intend to see the Phantom thread.  My local 'arthouse' charges £7.50 on the 'cheap seat Monday', but I will look at Vue prices as there are a couple on the bus routes close to my house.

If you ever want a cheapy seat do let me know because I can get discount vouchers through a work scheme. The main disadvantage (and why I don't use them much) is that you can't prebook and have to take the voucher in to buy your ticket. Because I always go to busy evening showings I don't really get to use them. However as you've got a bit more time than me it might be feasible for you to a) pop in earlier and get the ticket for the showing b) go to less busy showings and therefore it's not likely you'll find yourself without a ticket for the showing you want.

I can't beat £2.49 but I think one of the cinemahouse brands is a fiver.

UttaRetch

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2018, 13:41:01 PM »
Fran, THANK YOU.  I go to daytime showings are I don't want to be out after dark. 0_0  The local cinema is a Picturehouse franchise.

Manuela

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2018, 13:55:59 PM »
Phantom Thread is out here in early March. Given that this is Hong Kong, I don't think it'll be in the cinemas for long  >:) I really want to see it.

Francesca

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2018, 14:34:13 PM »
Fran, THANK YOU.  I go to daytime showings are I don't want to be out after dark. 0_0  The local cinema is a Picturehouse franchise.

PICTUREHOUSE ADULT 2D ECODE EXCLUDING PICTUREHOUSE CENTRAL

£6.58 Each

The Picturehouse Adult 2D (Excluding Picturehouse Central) eCode can be exchanged for one admission ticket to a standard 2D performance at any Picturehouse Cinema in the UK, excluding Picturehouse Central. Tickets are subject to availability. Uplift charges for any film which is not a standard 2D film may be payable by the eCode holder. The Picturehouse Adult 2D (Excluding Picturehouse Central) eCode is not valid for any non-standard (premium) seating or any non-film performance (such as alternative content or live performances).

By "eCode" they mean you get an email with a barcode in it that they scan and give you a ticket in exchange.