The Sewing Place

An afternoon with Elvis (Ooh err Missus!)

Iminei

An afternoon with Elvis (Ooh err Missus!)
« on: January 25, 2018, 08:28:52 AM »
Yesterday was the 24th of January and as some of you may (or may not ) recall I have been procrastinating over actually finishing a quilt for my beautiful next door neighbour, Jazmin who is turning 5 today.

I actually made the quilt last year, In March;  :o
I just had to make the label and slip it in to the 7 1/2" of binding I had left unsewn ...
Simple Bimple right??

So WHY did I keep procrastinating over this easy peasy job?

So yesterday I steeled myself and set to using The Splurgesses embroidery fonts for the very first time ...

Quelle Horreur?!!!!

It cant sew letters worth a **** !!!!! (very bad word)

I tried once .....

I tried twice, thrice ...

and then resorted to the manual !!!!!

Yes, Ladies you are correct ....

I took the lil plastic cover off the adjustymajiggy thing and .....

(Deep intake of breath) I adjusted it!

It was better ... a bit ....

but still not good enough for a label so .....

(another deep intake of breath)

I entered the room of Doom and Joy!! (Formally known as the Sewing/Art/Wardrobe/Spare room)

There was no time for formalities and small talk;
I swept my arm over the area I believed the desk to be and immediately found myself ankle deep in fabric, patterns, papers etc but there, lurking where the mountain of fabric had been just moments before, was Elvis!

I took the bodybag off him and gently stroked his poor, unloved self, cooing reassuredly ... Time to step up and show me what you can do darling ...

Two hours or so later (remember I really know not a thing about this embroidery lark) One beautiful label came hot off the press....

Down to the dining room I ran where The Splurgess sat (in a bit of a sulk methinks) and 15 minutes later I had finally finished PINK!

link to the album (in case the curse of Google strikes yet again)

https://goo.gl/photos/441GQcqWJk26mEmA8

where lots and lots of pics of the entire process waait you in case you are remotely interested,

I shall be gifting this afternoon after school!     :angel:

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 08:33:44 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Roger

Re: An afternoon with Elvis (Ooh err Missus!)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 08:37:46 AM »
Beautiful quilt! Glad you’ve finally finished it!

Who knew you kept Elvis at home...
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 09:02:00 AM »
I knew you'd sort Elvis out one day!  Well done  0_0 
I guess it was a case of it's now or never, because it must be always on your mind, and I did wonder if you would even return to sender...  :D

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 09:19:34 AM »
Why has it got her birth date on and not today's date?
Are you going to have tuition for the embroidery machine or will you consign yourself and Elvis to Heartbreak Hotel?
P.S. do you have two sewing rooms??
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 09:27:57 AM »
Beeyooootiful!

Good old Elvis.   :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 10:39:15 AM »
Thank you Ladies .... loving the quips!

No Lowena, I do not have two sewing rooms, I don't even have one!

I have a dining room in which resides an overburdened ironing board with all of whichever project Im working on and I have the Room of Doom and Joy ... now so called as its uncertain whether unfamiliar and unauthorised persons who go in will come out alive and it contains all my beautiful fabric.

But you will find all that out when you come and visit me, won't you ... :devil:

Bodge, I spent a fair amount of time working out how to resize things and space the lines apart (Didn't quite manage that right) also trying to change the last number of the year after it had started...

I couldn't !!! so had to watch like a hawk and stop him embroidering a 5 !!!
Then I had to try and line up where he would start again ... nearly got it right but if you look closely you can see that's its not quite there ... I don't think they will notice though! (I hope not!!)

Wouldn't mind if one of you embroideresses came to visit and run me through how to get the best out of him though!

I cannot believe that Bother don't have a decent online tut!!! :angry:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 10:41:03 AM by Iminei »

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 15:53:21 PM »
That looks fabulous Iminei and will be well received I'm sure.  I do hope this is the beginning of a new, close relationship with Elvis.
I must say the attempts of the Splurgess are pretty woeful, even my very unsophisticated Pfaff's single font looks better than that.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 17:38:45 PM »
Somethings obviously wrong with it.... In a couple of months (after the 2 year warrenty has expired) I will call on the 5 year extended guarantee and get them to sort it.

I did try adjustimicating, turned the screw thing the way I was destructed in the manual to about 20-25 past from on the hour (if you know what I mean) and it did improve ... I didn't try turning it further because I thought then it would be back to a vertical position so the same as before ?????

Could I be wrong??? Can it be turned further?? Does anyone know about this kind of adjustimication?? Roger ??????

Still whatever ... The Splurge had no problem so it can't be right and as I said I will make a noise about it in a month or two.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 20:18:34 PM by Iminei »

Roger

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 18:12:46 PM »
I don’t know much about embroidery machines... especially not new fangled electo-ma-watsit ones... (I save technology for working hours;)  )...

But the usual stuff I’d check is- right needle for the thread, how the back of the letters looks, stitch quality...

But computerised machines do a lot of things for you..
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 20:17:30 PM »
Not an embroidery machine Roger ... The Splurgess ... a Janome Atelier 7 ...

the Brother 500E (Elvis) did a perfect job once his stupid owner got her head round it!

supergran

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 20:41:31 PM »
Lovely quilt Iminei, Jazmin will love it, and a beautiful label. Imagine what you will be able to do now that you've made a start with Elvis.  :D

Roger

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 21:03:21 PM »
I can’t find anything to explain the letters on an A7- but I see why you call her the splurge... I thought i was bad with my 201k2...

I suspect your best bet is to contact the shop you bought it from. Could be a software issue...

Sewingsue

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 22:22:48 PM »
So how many embroidery machines do you have?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.