The Sewing Place

One Pattern Three Ways - TSP's first competition in 2018

DementedFairy

Re: One Pattern Three Ways - TSP's first competition in 2018
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 18:03:16 PM »
prep just usually means doing any toile or pattern alteration, not cutting it out
C'est moi!

Tamnymore

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2018, 18:13:25 PM »
Great idea. I'll have a think about this one.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

BrendaP

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2018, 21:22:53 PM »
@BrendaP , Here's an example of [/size]Plain with patterned and colour details[/size] or how about patterned fabric with plain contrast trims?  Like the idea of View C with the cap sleeves as a blouse with the skirt adapted to the high hip line with splits at the side trimmed with the contrast.  Whaddayathink?

I like that.  :loveit: I was also looking at this from the JoeBrowns website.

It's going to take a bit of time to mull over the possibilities.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 10:55:55 AM »
Hmmmm.  I just might manage this one... especially as there are 6 weeks to get it done.  I've just bought a pattern that is crying out to be adapted in various ways.

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Manuela

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 12:26:36 PM »
I just might manage this one... especially as there are 6 weeks to get it done....

That was my rather cunning plan, 2 weeks preparing, 6 weeks creating - people need time to do those things, sewing is not about speed ;)

Acorn

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 12:54:15 PM »
It's a very good cunning plan!

Anyone would think you were a teacher...   ;)  :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Francesca

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2018, 13:05:23 PM »
I have some ideas:

I'm thinking of using the Cashmerette t-shirt pattern. Very nice simple knit t-shirt.

I most definitely want a nice black and white stripey one, which I already have the fabric for.

I'm then considering something to do with ruffles. I'm thinking a ruffly peplum from the waist. It's a fitted t-shirt so the ruffly peplum would make it a loose fit over the hips. But I could add ruffles elsewhere. I quite like the idea of little ruffly cabbage-hem bits inserted into the sleeve cap. Just a small bit, not a huge puffy sleeve thing but a little detail.

And for final I am considering whether I can make an off-the-shoulder variation with some clever cutting. I have a few OTS tops that I could probably lay out to get an idea of drafting that. OTS tops are usually a sort of raglan-cut sleeve (for the underarm bit) aren't they?

Here is my inspo board :) https://www.pinterest.co.uk/franhaselden/one-pattern-three-ways/
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 13:13:24 PM by Francesca »

Manuela

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2018, 13:50:50 PM »
@Francesca , those ruffles look cute - and I'm not a fan of ruffles  ;)

Lowena

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2018, 14:36:59 PM »
Everything in the shops have either horizontal stripes or ruffles  -< I'd look like a barrage balloon in stripes and a toilet roll cover in ruffles ......  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Morgan

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2018, 22:35:00 PM »
... I'm then considering something to do with ruffles. I'm thinking a ruffly peplum from the waist. It's a fitted t-shirt so the ruffly peplum would make it a loose fit over the hips. But I could add ruffles elsewhere. I quite like the idea of little ruffly cabbage-hem bits inserted into the sleeve cap. Just a small bit, not a huge puffy sleeve thing but a little detail.
Depending on what type of ruffles you're thinking of - have you tried ruffling on your coverstitch machine?  Long stitch length and push the diff feed up to maximum.
I like to use a wide 2 needle coverstitch and then sew on down the centre, or sew through a narrow strip of ribbon between the two CS lines when attaching the ruffle.
Much fun to be had making all sorts of ruffles.

Francesca

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2018, 10:16:58 AM »
Everything in the shops have either horizontal stripes or ruffles  -< I'd look like a barrage balloon in stripes and a toilet roll cover in ruffles ......  :D

I'm a dress size 24 and I think horizontal stripes are very flattering.

Ruffles are good for building up width or size to balance a figure. I have narrow shoulders but very wide hips, so I find ruffles around the shoulders make me look more hourglass  :)

Francesca

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2018, 10:17:23 AM »
Depending on what type of ruffles you're thinking of - have you tried ruffling on your coverstitch machine?

I have an O/L but no coverstitch :(

Ravingdoll

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2018, 10:25:13 AM »
I am going to have to have a think about this one. My first thought was to make my western shirt in a traditional way, then with tassels and piping (very Rosemary Clooney) and then a plain one with embroidery or appliqué. But my second thought is do I want three western shirts....

Francesca

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2018, 10:26:05 AM »
I am going to have to have a think about this one. My first thought was to make my western shirt in a traditional way, then with tassels and piping (very Rosemary Clooney) and then a plain one with embroidery or appliqué. But my second thought is do I want three western shirts....

Could you use a simple fitted shirt pattern and add western style detailing to one? Then do one with a different style collar, and another much simpler with some embroidery...

Manuela

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2018, 13:05:46 PM »

There is a lot of potential in a basic shirt pattern - here is what I did with Vogue 8772. Seeing it might help you thinking  :)

On the blouse I changed the neck hole into a V-neck to get the bow a bit away from the neck. Then I lengthened the original pattern into a shirt dress, and used the sleeves as a belt (sewn into the side seams). for the next dress I used the basic pattern of the shirt dress, changed the hem into a slanted one, cut the front on the fold and added neck hole and collar of Vogue 9112. So, I basically fitted one pattern once - it since became my TNT pattern for semi fitted dresses with shaping at the bust.