The Sewing Place

One Pattern Three Ways - TSP's first competition in 2018

Manuela

Re: One Pattern Three Ways - TSP's first competition in 2018
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2018, 00:58:51 AM »
Ready, steady, gooooooooooo..... The competition starts today, can't wait to see what everyone is up to. Please post your progress/mullings/successes/challenges as well as your final pictures here. Once the competition is finished, I'll open a voting thread with all the entries.

Happy sewing everybody   :)

Iminei

« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2018, 07:45:27 AM »
Sounds great @Goth Gardiner . Love the idea of the velvet version with a cape - very Catwoman.

with a moustache ??!!??  :S

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2018, 10:19:17 AM »
This is my pattern (Bootstrap 45179) and my first lot of fabric (from my stash).

My (current) intention is to make the first one pretty much like the pattern.  I may vary the sleeves and/or the neckline, and I almost certainly won't put the zip in because I find that generally I don't need them, and having had a frozen shoulder a couple of years ago I'm not keen on anything that does up at the back.  I will pin it and try it on first, and add a slit and a button if necessary.  I'm not curvy enough, and it's not fitted enough to need anything more.  I think.

The second one will probably be in a plain fabric (I'm trying to ration my use of denim, but maybe...) and will be tunic length with a deep ruffle around the bottom and probably the sleeves as well. 

The third one I haven't really figured out yet.  I'm hoping inspiration will strike as I make the other two.  Probably a top.

Either two or three will involve embroidery, probably around the neck, on the pockets if it has them.

I may get the first one cut out today, but I do have one last pair of curtains to make and then around 40 metres of hems to do by hand...  :o
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Morgan

« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2018, 17:04:16 PM »
The waiting has been a good thing because I've done some chores and some planning too to clear the decks.  This evening I'll make a start on some pattern work.

My plan is to use my basic round neck, long sleeve T-shirt pattern and add some length to make it into a tunic for the first two versions.
The 3rd version will split the pattern up the front and use it to make a cardigan/coatigan.

1.  This light coral/peach cloque effect ponte weight jersey as a long sleeved tunic with milk chocolate/taupe coloured trim used for flashes of detail on the edge of a collar similar to this and also on two slash plackets, one up from the hem and the other down from the neckline.  Thinking about using some of the machine's decorative stitches to add some interest to buttons that will be used for decorative interest.
The inspiration for this one is the Off the Cuff collar tutorial along with the buttoned split on this tunic and this example of using a contrast colour for the placket and also leaving a fine visible line like a piping effect on the edge

2.  This green jersey together with some of this burnt orange jersey will become a sweatshirt style tunic with a band for the hem and some detail on the wrist edge of the sleeve.
The inspiration is this top, this split band cuff detail plus this insert detail and I haven't settled yet on what to do at the neckline which is likely to be a curved V neck band with some eyelet detail or some other decorative detail feature.

3.  This burgundy/wine coloured knit will become the edge to edge long cardigan.
The inspiration is a RTW cardigan with a shaped front band and I want to add pockets similar to the pockets on this dress.

Efemera

« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2018, 21:13:14 PM »
I’m away at the moment so haven’t started yet...

BrendaP

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2018, 22:15:53 PM »
It's a WeBs count weekend - which means Terry will be counting wetland birds - so I'll have all weekend to myself to get on with the sewing. 0_0 :vintage:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

DementedFairy

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2018, 06:45:48 AM »
I had ideas...but they proliferated so now I'm confusing myself.
Are two Brenne skirts enough?  Should I make another two and try the trousers [V9114]?  Maybe more Platt tunics?  Or the trousers from THAT pattern [V1415]?
Meanwhile other projects beckon.  It's that time of year lol
C'est moi!

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2018, 11:58:05 AM »
I started. The front of my dress went beautifully. The zip at the back is a disaster. 
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

DementedFairy

« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2018, 12:01:30 PM »
THat's why I mostly do zips by hand- no issues at all then
C'est moi!

Morgan

« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2018, 12:20:14 PM »
@Goth Gardiner  - Can it be put right or can it become a design opportunity?

BrendaP

« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2018, 16:50:54 PM »
I've had a good weekend, only buttons and buttonholes to do on the first dress.

McCalls 7084 and very similar to view D, except that I've done view B sleeves and cut the collar lengthways instead of on the cross as per the instructions.

The next version should be very different.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Tamnymore

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2018, 17:11:01 PM »
Oooh very nice @BrendaP . Those stripes are very effective.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

BrendaP

« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2018, 21:13:47 PM »
Thank you, the direction of the stripes are just how the instructions say to do them (except for the collar).

I sewed most of the dress with red, but for the blind stitch hem I used a 50/2 cotton, silver grey colour, which just happened to be in the drawer.  Being 50/2 it's only 2/3 the thickness of regular 50/3 machine cotton; good for a hem, but will it work for buttonholes?  I want to use a silver grey colour for the buttonholes to match the middle stripe of the button band which is that colour.

Manuela

« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2018, 02:50:17 AM »
I've had a good weekend, only buttons and buttonholes to do on the first dress.

McCalls 7084 and very similar to view D, except that I've done view B sleeves and cut the collar lengthways instead of on the cross as per the instructions.

The next version should be very different.

Brenda, could you please upload your picture again, trying to look at it give me an "attachment not found" message.
Thank you

BrendaP

« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2018, 10:15:23 AM »
Photo attached again - as requested by Acorn and Manuela.  There appears to have been a techie gremlin get into the works.