The Sewing Place

One Pattern Three Ways - TSP's first competition in 2018

Tamnymore

Re: One Pattern Three Ways - TSP's first competition in 2018
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2018, 20:40:36 PM »
That's tough GG as you have spent so much time and effort. Maybe have a break from it. I recently made a New Look dress for DD and have had to chop over 2" off the bodice and she is 5' 10".
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Acorn

« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2018, 23:16:46 PM »
I'm coming to the end of my first garment.  I've lowered the neckline (it's still higher than I'd like, but lowering it further would be a major task because of the yoke).  The next version was never destined to have the yoke, so it won't be an issue there, but for the third I may have to make myself a new yoke pattern piece and change the neckline of the dress where it joins on to the yoke (actually that one will be a top) as well.

I also had to narrow the shoulders, curve the back seam (which was straight - why?) and shape the sides rather more than the (customised) pattern in order to stop it from looking like a tent.  Or possibly a sack.  It would probably look better if I took it in a bit more, but I don't like wearing close-fitting things.  Oh the dilemma between appearance and comfort!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 10:00:35 AM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Acorn

« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2018, 23:18:56 PM »
Do we have to post a certain number of times on this thread and take photos during construction as in previous sewalongs?  If so I've left it a bit late so I'll have to take a pic as I'm doing the hem or adding the pockets!

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2018, 23:29:22 PM »
I didn't post the second picture.  Here us the dress - all unfinished and un-pressed.

Modified .... so I could see it in all its glory WOW!

Imi
xxx
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 06:45:51 AM by Iminei »
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Manuela

« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2018, 01:29:57 AM »
Do we have to post a certain number of times on this thread and take photos during construction as in previous sewalongs?  If so I've left it a bit late so I'll have to take a pic as I'm doing the hem or adding the pockets!
There is no minimum/maximum number of posts here, participation is encouraged though, it might help solving problems/put your head in the right direction...,
We looooooooooove seeing pictures, so progress pictures are a hood thing, no need to fret about it if you haven't taken any yet, you still have oodles of time  :D

Acorn

« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2018, 17:26:51 PM »
I had a bit of a brainwave in the middle of the night.  The pesky yoke on this dress is pretty much invisible because of the pattern on the material (see the first picture below), which is doubly infuriating because of the trouble it's given me.

This morning I bought some trim, which you can see laid in place on the second picture.   :)

I think I'll put some on the pockets too, to keep it balanced.

Ploshkin

« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2018, 08:12:47 AM »
The trim works really well, Acorn otherwise, as you say, the yoke is invisible apart from the broken pattern which could look as though you have had to rescue an error - not that 99% of people would notice anyway.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ellabella

« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2018, 10:09:16 AM »
Amazing how a little bit of trim lifts something.

Love the fabric.

Efemera

« Reply #113 on: February 25, 2018, 14:36:11 PM »
I’m on garment 2...fascinating how using the right tools make the job easier!.. :S
Used the stitch in the ditch foot for the binding on the sleeeves.. didn’t stitch in the ditch but how neat is that!

Acorn

« Reply #114 on: February 25, 2018, 14:51:04 PM »
Very neat indeed.  I only came across stitch in the ditch feet a few days ago.  Now I really want one!

Tamnymore

« Reply #115 on: February 25, 2018, 15:40:40 PM »
Yes very neat! I'll have to investigate that foot.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #116 on: February 25, 2018, 22:02:24 PM »
I love my stitch in the ditch foot.  These days I tend to Google to find if there is a special foot when I try a new technique.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Francesca

« Reply #117 on: February 27, 2018, 20:03:49 PM »
Well I've finally attempted to join you all but I've not got very far yet.

I've started sticking together the PDF pattern but ran out of tape so will have to wait until Thursday as I'm out tomorrow!

I also picked up a horrible dress in the work sample sale today for £2 which is stable wine-red jersey and this big handkerchief hem skirt. That means lots of square fabric! So I've cut it up and have got three pieces. I may be able to squeeze a top out of it for this competition so it'll be an upcycle of fabric too!

I really want to make an off the shoulder version but I am just not sure how the sleeves work. I've been looking at things like this:

But I might have to go for something like this for ease sake:

b15erk

« Reply #118 on: February 28, 2018, 09:50:45 AM »
My plans have been pretty much non-existent until this morning.  Now I have plans for not just one jacket, but three!  Pattern is Kwik Sew K4191, which is an unlined pattern, so my first job is to trace the pattern, do the modifications, and then cobble together lining pieces.

My first is an orange and grey wool, beautifully soft, lined.  Second fabric, bought as a toile fabric (but far too nice), a blue wool, which will be great for work, also lined.  The third is a piece of denim I'd earmarked for a toile, but couldn't find it.  It turned up this morning, and will make a great casual jacket, but again, I will be lining it.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Acorn

« Reply #119 on: February 28, 2018, 10:50:18 AM »
Lovely pattern Jessie.

Fran - you could believe they were trying to hide what happens between the sleeves and the body on that white one!

I have finished my first garment.  I'm fairly pleased with it, although in terms of fit it could do with some double ended darts below the bust.  Unfortunately experience tells me that if I fit it that way I will look as though I've been upholstered.   ><  Probably better to leave it loose.  It's a loose style anyway.  And I'm fairly loosely styled myself.

My next one is actually going to be (intentionally) even looser, but the fabric is much drapier.