The Sewing Place

Allowing for shrinkage

Stitchalot

Allowing for shrinkage
« on: January 30, 2018, 11:57:54 AM »
As part of my current stay visiting family in NZ I have had a lovely time visiting  ‘The Fabric Store’ in Christchurch. Last time I made the mistake of making my purchases only to find they had a big sale starting mid January. So this time I was patient. Lo and behold - a sale giving 40% off most fabrics and 20% off the rest.

As the lady was measuring out my fabrics for cutting she reminded me that they always give an extra 10% to allow for shrinkage! I don’t think I have ever come across this anywhere else. I have only ever seen advice to buy extra.

Most of my purchases were plain fabrics suitable for trousers so won’t photograph well. On my second visit  :devil: this rather nice silk had risen to the surface in all the rummaging and asked to come home with me.

Vegegrow

Re: Allowing for shrinkage
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 12:07:26 PM »
I suppose they must up the price a metre knowing they are giving away 10%... its not anything I've ever seen !... we used to offer the end of the roll at 1/2 price and add extra if there was a flaw to work round but nothing for shrinkage
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Kenora

Re: Allowing for shrinkage
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 22:17:27 PM »
Oh, that silk is so pretty.   <3
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath