The Sewing Place

Singer 401 near Bristol

Roger

Singer 401 near Bristol
« on: January 28, 2018, 09:54:26 AM »
Just saw this on Gumtree:
Nice price- lovely looking machine loads of accessories and manual... too complex... pish... lol

https://www.gumtree.com/p/hobbies-collectibles/sewing-machine/1283536582
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Manuela

Re: Singer 401 near Bristol
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 12:13:09 PM »
Gosh, just around the corner from my in-laws....

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 15:19:23 PM »
@Roger: that's the machine my Mum has, complete with sewing cupboard, and is 'too technical' for me too. 0_0 I have been spoilt by my modern, computerised machine with touch button controls.  However, the ruddy thing can't do a complete set of buttonholes without fouling up.  I have three to unpick. :(

Roger

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 15:54:47 PM »
The 401 (and 500) are probably the last great sewing machines made by Singer. They have masses of stitches, take cams (for embroidery stitching) are almost completely metal, have internal gear driven motors. And will very likely never wear out if they’re oiled and cleaned regularly. They’re dress makers (will do a lot of household work but don’t jam veg tanned leather through them) and have great visibility and foot clearance... but they are a little quirky.

@UttaRetch you can get a cam driven button holer that can make buttonholes easier and more consistent. - I would say give your mums machine a go, they’re not too bad and AK3 is the straight stitch setting:)

@manuela - if I had family that close I’d be tempted even tho I already have one :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 16:53:57 PM »
'... cam driven button holer', what is this, please?

Madame Cholet

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 17:27:15 PM »
'... cam driven button holer', what is this, please?

@UttaRetch - it is a marvelous contraption, not unlike one of the ones shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV6f1zntTBE

:)

Roger

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 17:27:38 PM »
Hi UR,

Like this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RGJD4VYVU08

This demo is on an old machine, but it should work on any domestic straight shank machine... the plate isn’t necessary if you can drop your feed dogs, and you can set a modern machine to straight stitch and let it go (so I’m told I haven’t tested this on a really tech machine.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 17:29:47 PM »
Hi UR,

Like this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RGJD4VYVU08

This demo is on an old machine, but it should work on any domestic straight shank machine... the plate isn’t necessary if you can drop your feed dogs, and you can set a modern machine to straight stitch and let it go (so I’m told I haven’t tested this on a really tech machine.

Sorry Roger - I was waiting for you to post, and you didn't, so I did, and then you did... !  :S :fish:
Oh well - 2 videos are always better than one! Especially where buttonholers are concerned..!

Roger

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 17:41:54 PM »
Snap! :)

These lovely devices need a good airing :)

LeilaMay

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 18:09:38 PM »
I live close enough to collect   :devil:

sewingj

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 19:03:35 PM »
Roger - perhaps I`m being particularly thick but I still don`t really understand what these buttonholers are.  Do you mean that a Singer buttonholer could be fixed onto any make of modern machine (I`ve got a fairly basic Janome)?  Or would I have to get hold of a vintage machine too?

Could you perhaps be persuaded to write an idiot`s guide type post about them?  (In words of one syllable without too many scary technical words in it).  I am very interested as my machine does rubbish buttonholes and all of you vintage enthusiasts keen praising the buttonholer

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 19:46:24 PM »
Thanks @Madame Cholet and @Roger.  Might be worth investigation especially as I intend to keep my Mother's Singer.

DementedFairy

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 20:02:13 PM »
Roger - perhaps I`m being particularly thick but I still don`t really understand what these buttonholers are.  Do you mean that a Singer buttonholer could be fixed onto any make of modern machine (I`ve got a fairly basic Janome)?  Or would I have to get hold of a vintage machine too?

Could you perhaps be persuaded to write an idiot`s guide type post about them?  (In words of one syllable without too many scary technical words in it).  I am very interested as my machine does rubbish buttonholes and all of you vintage enthusiasts keen praising the buttonholer

The SInger buttonholers are for straight stitch machines, and are wondrous things to behold.  Abfab in fact.  I have been known to drag visitors into the sewing room just to watch me make buttonholes.

Here's mine in action [no idea if this will work]

C'est moi!

DementedFairy

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 20:03:23 PM »
Can anyone tell me how to insert a video?
C'est moi!

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 21:57:38 PM »
  Do you mean that a Singer buttonholer could be fixed onto any make of modern machine (I`ve got a fairly basic Janome)? 

In theory yes, but in practice not always :\

I've just tried attaching a buttonholer to my 20 year old Husqvarna.  I removed the snap-on foot and the ankle which the feet snap onto so that the needle bar was bare.  I got the buttonholer into position so that the fork went around the needle screw and the buttonholer clamp was around the needle bar but I couldn't screw it on.  Different threads :ninja:  The Singer screw is thicker than the Husqvarna screw so it wouldn't go into the hole in the needle bar and the Husqvarna screw isn't long enough!  I'm pretty sure that the SInger screw would fit onto your mother's vintage Singer machine.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.