The Sewing Place

Struggling to copy this purse

rowe1311

Struggling to copy this purse
« on: January 29, 2018, 19:32:57 PM »
As a very belated christmas present, I am trying to make my Mum a purse like the one below.  She wants it slightly deeper as she has lots of bank and membership cards and this one is getting too small and old.  I am trying to work it out as I go along, but I am finding it really hard to do.  I have made a practice one but the zip is pretty stretched out.  I will take a photo when I get a chance. 

It should look easy to do, but I wonder if I have over complicated things as I have gone along.  I much prefer instructions.  The front pocket was easy to do, it was just the curved zip and gusset that made it seem very fiddly. 

How would you go about making it?  There doesn't seem to be any tutorials that help on pinterest.  I have made dozens of the basic rectangle coin purse, but the gusset seems to have over complicated it for me. 

Ohsewsimple

Re: Struggling to copy this purse
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 20:31:38 PM »
The gusset is a strip of straight  fabric that is sewn to the front and back.   That is putting it simply. I know. The strip has to be clipped where it joins the rounded corners so that it can be eased round.

StitchinTime

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 20:50:36 PM »
Would this tutorial from Ikat Bag give you any tips on construction of the curved zip and gusset?
http://www.ikatbag.com/2016/02/zip-bag-chapter-14-zippered-gusset.html

rowe1311

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 19:30:23 PM »
Thank you that tutorial will work, and makes it look pretty simple.  It does mean it needs to be bound but that is fine and should still work for my Mum.  It seems so simple when you know how!