The Sewing Place

Pilates class - what to wear?!

Madame Cholet

Pilates class - what to wear?!
« on: January 30, 2018, 09:33:09 AM »
DD and I are going to our first Pilates free-to-see-if-you-like-it class on Thursday evening. Having both suffered from back issues we are tempted by the prospect of building up our core strength  :ninja:

What should I wear? Would I get away with leggings, vest top, and socks do you think? I did a google search last night and the previously unknown yet rather fabulous world of Pilates footwear was revealed to me, and tbh I quite fancy a pair of those grippy-soled open sock/shoe hybrid things just to pad around the house in...

But seeing as it's a taster session I don't want to fork out cash for anything yet as I may decide it's not for me and not return, and I don't want to dash out and get something in a hurry and find out I've bought the wrong thing. Besides the class is 3 days away which means it's too late really to order something online. And I have funny feet that normal shoes don't want to fit so I'd have to try things on in a shop anyway. I don't possess trainers and I'd be mortified if expected to go barefoot seeing as I am ocd about things like catching verrucas etc.
So I'm keen to learn from others' experiences... thanks  :)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 09:35:08 AM by Madame Cholet »
I nurse unloved vintage Berninas back to health and then just cannot bring myself to part with any of them... 807, 830, 840, 530-2, 930, 910, and a modded 717 in a Singer treadle base.

BrendaP

Re: Pilates class - what to wear?!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 09:55:02 AM »
I go to Pilates classes - and I have a great teacher, Joy, but before finding her I went through several not so good teachers.

One of the earlier teachers said that Pilates should be barefoot, but Joy says she'd rather people wear socks (as she does) than get splinters from the floor or uncomfortably cold feet.  In winter everybody (except one person who always does bare feet) wears socks.    My rule of thumb is that if I've been wearing open sandals all day then I'm barefoot in Pilates, otherwise it's socks.  Some people have the socks with grippy soles but it's not necessary, especially for a taster sesson.  I wear my hand knitted ordinary socks.

There's no set clothing, just leggings or trousers which are stretchy enough to move in all directions and a tee shirt or vest top which will allow full movement of arms and upper body.  Just one word of warning; if you wear leggings make sure they are thick enough not to show your underwear; some Pilates excersises are not elegant!  :ninja:
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 10:23:19 AM »
I got to yoga which has some similarities.

I wear sports leggings, light sports bra and a close fitting top. I take socks with me as my feet get cold sometimes, but I usually wear bands round my foot with arch support because I get a lot of pain from collapsed arches when I put all my weight through one foot.

The key for me has been no loose fitting tops. They will hang in your face when you go upside down and generally get in the way.

Also, you should take a light, warm cardigan. There are often cool-down sessions where you can get chilly as you're letting your body cool slowly. So a thin cardigan next to you that you can pop on for the cool down really helps.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 17:34:02 PM »
@BrendaP  and @Francesca - thank you :)
Vest top, opaque leggings, socks and a lightweight cardi it is then  :ninja:
I nurse unloved vintage Berninas back to health and then just cannot bring myself to part with any of them... 807, 830, 840, 530-2, 930, 910, and a modded 717 in a Singer treadle base.

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 20:34:13 PM »
If wearing normal leggings do check the seams; I have split several pairs during classes.

I recently succumbed to a pair of grumpy socks and wished I has got them years ago but they certainly are not essential.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 00:10:35 AM »
We went to the class, which involved each of us doing exercises upon a Pilates reformer slidey-bed-type-apparatus thingummy, and really rather enjoyed it, so we're going back next week for more  :)

@Goth Gardiner  - I meant to ask - what are grumpy socks??   :)

Roger

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 08:29:57 AM »
I suspect Grippy socks... but Grumpy is so much better! :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132