The Sewing Place

Repairing a cut

Sandra

Re: Repairing a cut
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 09:37:33 AM »
Lovely work, Jessie.

It's a good, busy pattern, so it's pretty well hidden.

Sandra.
xxx

Ploshkin

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2018, 09:41:15 AM »
Well mended Jessie.  I couldn't see the repairs at all in the first picture until I had looked at the close up one.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 09:42:23 AM »
All Lilya will know is that shes wearing her favourite dress.... Invisible to the unsearching eye, Bravo!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

b15erk

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 09:43:20 AM »
Thanks girls, with hindsight, I would have used a darker variegated thread, and practised on an unseen part of the dress.  I'm fairly happy with it though.

When I washed it afterwards though, I was amazed at how much dye came out!  The water was purple!  Good job I handwashed.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

arrow

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 16:45:03 PM »
The repair looks very good to me. I have tried variegated thread to make it blend in better, but more often than not it doesn't. Finding a neutral color is often the best and esiest. The problem with variegated thread is the colors never go in the place they should, so it of it is a bit off sync anyway.

I have wondered if it's worth keeping a packed of color catch paper for cases like these. It can prevent bleeding and with the garment in a separate wash it should come out the same as hand wash.