The Sewing Place

Interlining

sewmuchmore

Interlining
« on: February 01, 2018, 18:21:25 PM »
I have recently bought this with a view to making a jacket. It is a very nice bright burnt orange with a lovely feel to it and washes with no shrinkage. And this for the lining.  However, I feel the wool mix it is a little too drapey for the jacket I have in mind and thinking about interlining it but undecided what to use. I don't want anything too thick or too stiff.  I have used chiffon, voile and lawn cotton to interline skirts and I did wonder about sew in interfacing, or even an iron on light weight to stabilise the fabric, do you think that would work? Any ideas?
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

BrendaP

Re: Interlining
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 20:36:35 PM »
The cotton print looks lovely, but is it right for a jacket lining?  A lining fabric, especially for sleeves, should be shiny/slippery so that you can push your arm, probably with another sleeve already over it, into the sleeve of the jacket.  Woven cotton won't have that property.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 20:50:32 PM »
I used iron on interfacing to stiffen the loose weave of a coat I made, but make sure that you pick the right weight for your fabric - ask me how I know  :[ I have used brushed cotton to line a coat and didn't not experience any difficulties getting in and out.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 17:53:44 PM »
The cotton print looks lovely, but is it right for a jacket lining?  A lining fabric, especially for sleeves, should be shiny/slippery.
Personally I don't have a problem with having a cotton lining and as I never do as I am told or do what I should do so will continue to buck the trend, but thanks for your concern Brenda.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet