The Sewing Place

Is it time for the baggy tops?

sewingj

Is it time for the baggy tops?
« on: February 02, 2018, 17:52:29 PM »
I`m making this
https://www.sewessential.co.uk/misses-asymmetrical-seam-detail-tops-mccalls-pattern-7323?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrpOfiOOE2QIVCr7tCh0dHQsdEAQYASABEgJzlPD_BwE

which I chose partly because it is "close fitting through bust" as I don`t have much of a bust and don`t want to look swamped.  But, I had failed to realise that "close fitting through bust" also means "close fitting over rolls of fat that spill over bra back and sides"  It`s not a good look.

Have I got to admit defeat and just go for baggy tops in the future?  I`m happy to wear loose tunics in the Winter but have yet to find a flattering pattern for a loose t-shirt (they just look shapeless if you haven`t got a bust)

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Is it time for the baggy tops?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 18:21:55 PM »
I think there is a world of difference between "close fitting" and "tight fitting".  I go for close-ish fitting so it doesn't really show any, err, extra flesh.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 18:30:20 PM »
I too have no bust but a  fat broad back and last year made loads of these The pattern is out of print but you can still get it.
I found it was fitted enough at the chest and nicely skims all the bits you don't want emphasised. 
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Starryfish

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 18:52:35 PM »
The type of jersey also makes a difference. They recommend cotton jersey and interlock jersey. If you use viscose or thin polyester they are much more clingy. I made a top from cotton jersey and it is flattering, when I made it up in viscose it clung so much I gave it away.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

sewingj

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 19:14:13 PM »
I too have no bust but a  fat broad back and last year made loads of these The pattern is out of print but you can still get it.
I found it was fitted enough at the chest and nicely skims all the bits you don't want emphasised.

I like that very much - will hunt for the pattern

sewingj

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 19:15:59 PM »
The type of jersey also makes a difference. They recommend cotton jersey and interlock jersey. If you use viscose or thin polyester they are much more clingy. I made a top from cotton jersey and it is flattering, when I made it up in viscose it clung so much I gave it away.

You could have a point - I`m making it out of polyester jersey so that probably isn`t helping!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 19:17:44 PM by sewingj »

Morgan

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 20:17:22 PM »
Baggy just tends to make the body look bigger.

correctly fitting is good - skim not cling. 

Two women can be the same measurement around the bust - eg. 40" but the one who is an A or B cup will need a wider back and less at the front, but the one who is a D, E, F cup will need less at the back and much more for the girls at the front.

Sometimes with a small bust and fluff on the back it's better to start with the pattern that's correct for the shoulders and do a Small Bust Alteration on the pattern and if necessary do a broad back adjustment as well.

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 20:24:30 PM »
What about on of these?

DementedFairy

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 20:24:53 PM »
B6287.  That is all.
C'est moi!

Madame Cholet

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 20:42:12 PM »
Am I right in saying B6287 includes the same design as B6505 from the Winter collection? I'm confused now. I considered buying B605 but perhaps I'd be better off getting B6287, seeing as it contains more variants?
Or perhaps I need to find my reading specs??  :S

B6287:
http://www.sewdirect.com/cgi-bin/sh000003.pl?WD=6287&PN=Butterick%2d6287%2ehtml#SID=777
£8.95

B6505:
https://www.sewdirect.com/acatalog/Butterick-B6505.html
£5.25

sewingj

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 20:46:33 PM »
I`ve got a few tunic patterns which I like but I was hoping to find something a bit more like a traditional t-shirt for the warmer weather
This is one I`ve got my eye on  (viewB)
https://www.sewessential.co.uk/misses-tunic-new-look-pattern-6527  (I must learn how to post pictures)

I do think I am going to have to work out how to do a small bust adjustment though as this seems to affecting most things that I make now

Lachica

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 22:59:04 PM »
I bought B6287 today. The line drawings are identical to B 6505 in the new collection, it's just that B6287 has a collar option. I've just finished tracing the pieces, measuring and realising I have big biceps and it could be a bit tight on the bust so retraced half a size larger all round. I can always take a bit out of the side seams later if it's too big. I've just pinned the paper together to try on Dolly. I shall have to label all the bits carefully, I can see potential for plenty of mistakes and really don't want to have to unpick on this fine viscose jersey. As usual, I'm incapable of following the pattern to the letter, I've spotted an easy way to add a pocket. Looking at the way the pieces fit together, I think I could be making several versions of this. My fabric is washed ready to cut tomorrow, it has shrunk by 12% on a 30degree wash!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

DementedFairy

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 09:43:06 AM »
The most important part is to make all the notches, and to put a chalk cross or some such on the wrong side of each piece.  I also always stack front and back pieces separately.  You can't go wrong then.  The main thing which isn't covered in the instructions [or I can't see it anyway] is watching how you finish the hems of the pointed bits BEFORE you topstitch those seams [or if you bother to topstitch at all]  You can end up with a futzy mess at the Vs...
It's a great top otherwise, excellent shaping to flatter bust and hide belly, brilliant for using up oddments, and plenty of options.  Although I have only made the one version, several times!
C'est moi!

Greybird

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 11:35:31 AM »
DF, don't forget V1415 view A. This is the one I pull out of the wardrobe on really fat days.

Lachica

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 21:59:10 PM »
@DementedFairy yes, all notches carefully marked, each piece labelled. First mistake was cutting the pieces ALL out of the fabric RS up, even the pieces which need reversing  :angry: so recut those, pinned together now, just trying overlocker to see if I need to stabilise all the seams. DF, did you edgestitch all pieces as instructed? I'm hoping it won't be needed as will be a terrible fiddle changing thread colour constantly to match my 2 colours.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.