The Sewing Place

Fairy Finking- wedding dress for a friend

CarolC

Re: Fairy Finking- wedding dress for a friend
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2018, 23:11:28 PM »
What a pretty dress! And how brave you are to take it on!

I made something sort of similar recently for dance with a mesh top and lined lower part, though mine wasn’t as complex.

I treated the whole, including the mesh part, as a single pattern based on a basic jewel neck, then added the lower solid part neckline and back lines as style lines. If you use stretch mesh, you will need to take it in a bit to fit, but non stretch illusion might give more support. If you use stretch, you could add nude elastic straps to help support the dress.

To attach the mesh, stitch to the white as with any panelled pattern, then attach the lining to the joined raw edges to enclose them and flip it down.

The lace is hand stitched on in chunks (Kate M’s dress was done like that). Again non stretch base might be easier to handle as the stretch mesh will need to be stretched to the correct shape as the lace is put on.
 :flower:

DementedFairy

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2018, 08:47:07 AM »
FAbulous advice folks, keep it coming.  I like to absorb all the slight variations and smoosh them into one!
C'est moi!

CarolC

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2018, 14:12:22 PM »
Hello again! One more thought - for the skirt, it looks like double or triple circles, perhaps diminishing in fullness as the layers go inwards. To cut the double or triple circles, you divide the waist by however many (2, 3, whatever), then make make up the appropriate number of pieces.

So for a double circle, divide the waist by 2 and use that measurement as the inner circumference of the circle pieces. Depending on the width of the fabric, cut 4 half circle pieces or 8  quarter circles to make up the full waist circumference. For a triple circle, divide waist by 3 and cut 6 or 12 pieces; for 1.5 circles, divide waist by 1.5 and cut 3 or 6. Hope that makes sense!

BrendaP

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2018, 17:42:12 PM »
None of the skirts in the images posted look to me to be even full circle; which is maybe just as well as multiple circles in a full length skirt would take acres of fabric.
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

DementedFairy

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2018, 19:29:17 PM »
It's very full and at least 2-3 layers, but there was no bulk or visible seam at waist or hips, which is what I'm trying to work out.  A lot can be covered with the lace bodice, but the key to working the yardage out will be those skirt pieces
C'est moi!

Vegegrow

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2018, 20:36:59 PM »
the veiling we used to sell was 300cm wide... you need to know your brides waist to floor measurement including shoes ..
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Manuela

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2018, 12:29:58 PM »
Here is a very useful circle skirt calculator that'll do all the maths for you:
Circle Skirt Calculator

DementedFairy

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2018, 17:27:22 PM »
No fears about calculations, don't forget I'm a maths lecturer!
C'est moi!

Marniesews

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2018, 00:16:29 AM »
Sorry I'm late to the party, not sure if it's too late. I was going to suggest multiple circles for the underskirts but CaroleC has given a good description. It does take lots of fabric but 3m wide tulle/soft dress net 300cm tulle isn't very expensive and has a lovely bounce. I also saw the rtw petticoats on the first page and that might well do with the addition of crin for extra support. You can attach it with little tucks to make it kick out more - the underskirt on its own may will need a bit more oomph.

If I'm not too late, @maliw you could shortcut with a bought underskirt and either add the crin to make it long enough or buy a longer one and hem and add crin at the same time to make it the right length too. This one is millinery crin but is fine enough for underskirts and a fraction of the price of dance crin even if you buy a full 30m roll.
Aka Jacky F in a former life...

maliw

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2018, 12:04:58 PM »

If I'm not too late, @maliw you could shortcut with a bought underskirt and either add the crin to make it long enough or buy a longer one and hem and add crin at the same time to make it the right length too. This one is millinery crin but is fine enough for underskirts and a fraction of the price of dance crin even if you buy a full 30m roll.
Thanks for that Marnie, I haven't started yet so something to consider.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula