The Sewing Place

My good deed today

Lachica

My good deed today
« on: February 05, 2018, 20:46:24 PM »
Last week a lady knocked at our door and said she'd seen the sewing machine through the window. My heart sank as I anticipated being asked to replace a zip in jeans, at the same time as I heard myself ask how I could help. She said she's new to sewing,is making her 3 year old 2 dresses, but has got stuck with putting in the sleeves. Could I teach her how to do it? She came round this morning and we sorted out her problem, which was that she'd ease stitched straight across the sleeve head from one dot to the other, instead of around the curve. Part of her problem was the Burda patterns she'd chosen. One had no seam allowances, she cut all her pieces then spotted it and bought more fabric to cut again. The other pattern has raglan sleeves which are doubled over before inserting. The instructions were quite confusing for me, and it's my first language. I made her a little pressing ham this afternoon and popped it round to her so she can press the sleeves, and she'd already sewn the second sleeve in. So I'm pleased to have helped, and impressed by her persistence.

Acorn

Re: My good deed today
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 20:53:12 PM »
How lovely.   0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 21:38:15 PM »
That was really nice of you to share your knoelefge @Lachica .    :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

hernibs

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 22:07:32 PM »
Wonderful - that person will never forget your help and encouragement.  Well done.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 22:41:26 PM »
That's how people get into sewing.  Dunce hat for all those 'sewing teachers' who put off so many. Well done!

hernibs

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 23:49:11 PM »
Yep, I had a primary school teacher who would have put anyone off.  Nothing pleased her and she didn't encourage at all.  Bib Aprons with gingham tops and bottoms.....don't want to remember her or them at all.  It doesn't take much to encourage really when all is said and done.

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 08:55:40 AM »
Where were you when I made my ill fated (insert garment here) capri pants, drape drape top and Japanese jacket??????    ><
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 09:03:25 AM »
Well done!  What a good neighbour you are!

Like you, I don't advertise the fact that I sew, as you are usually asked to do impossible alterations on stuff which should really be thrown out.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 09:09:12 AM »
Yes - or asked to make something for someone who won't tell you their measurements...  :[

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 09:13:17 AM »
 :D :angry: :D Acorn, that happened with 2 of my Belle dresses!  I found out that my GD (aged 23), does not know how to use a tape measure!  :o

'Nana, do I use the big side or the little side?'  (she meant inches or centimetres)

Still shaking my head....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Nevis5

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 09:59:24 AM »
That's a lovely story, Lachica! 

and yes, sewing teachers at school  :( mine kept making me unpick my tacking stitches in that dratted gingham apron over and over again, not an even length apparently.  Still can't fathom why that mattered  :S  and I never got that apron finished as a result.

crooknees

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 11:32:11 AM »
You are both generous with your skills and time Lachical. Well done :flower: :flower: :flower:
My soon to be 13yr. GD is very confident  on the sewing machine and has done cross stitch since she was 3yrs. old. Her teacher at school has had the class making running stitches by hand, on paper, for more than half a term :fish: Last week she consulted a book before showing the class how to do a backstitch :o Going round the class to check on their work, (still on paper) she stopped by GD and asked if she wanted to be shown again. GD lifted her school bag, the front embroidered with her name and school badge, and said that she had made it all by herself. The teacher just walked away, saying nothing. Almost a whole term wasted on playing with paper and boring the pants off of the class into the bargain, when the machines are waiting in full view of the pupils. How not to encourage the needle-arts methinks :\
I do have some sympathy with the teacher, who obviously has been shoe-horned into a subject she has not mastered herself, but I know that she has turned down offers of help.  :(
crooknees - buried under a mountain of fabric and yarn.

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 11:49:49 AM »
Teachers like that do make me cross.   ><

I had a good needlework teacher at school.  We were allowed to work pretty much at our own pace - making an a-line skirt and then a dress or nightie - and if we finished before the others we could do cross stitch or something else if we had other ideas (as I have said elsewhere, one friend crocheted a bikini!)

Thank you Mrs Wallis!

Ploshkin

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 12:34:14 PM »
Her teacher at school has had the class making running stitches by hand, on paper, for more than half a term

That makes me so mad  :S. That is just lazy.

It doesn't matter what the subject is, if you have a pupil who is already way ahead of whatever you are teaching then it is the teacher's job to find something suitable for that pupil.
I remember teaching a 10 year old who could knock spots off me mathematically so I asked for advice from the maths teacher at the secondary school - that's not hard to do.
Life's too short for ironing.

twopence

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 14:19:50 PM »
I had two needlework teachers for GCSE, one’s main contribution was to take over a sewing machine for her own sewing when there weren’t enough to go round and the other picked up everyth8ng else in a single lesson.  My best friend and I would go home for the afternoon session and share her mother’s sewing machine to do our work.  We learnt at the end that the lovely Mrs Norris had known what we were doing but not said anything as she knew we would do more out of school than in.  I think I could still reproduce her diagrams to put in a lapped zip fifty years later.

When DD1 went she had been sewing for a long time and making clothes for herself since she was 8.  They were told they were to make a pleated skirt.  As she had made a couple I asked if she could make a dress instead.  The answer was no so she made a pleated skirt - a kilt!