The Sewing Place

Quote of the day

Ploshkin

Re: Quote of the day
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 10:53:59 AM »
I've got 2 fridges and 4 freezers but certainly wouldn't clean any of them because I was angry.
I was a regular Archers listener for many years but gave up about a year ago because it got so boring.  I also thought that the Rob Titchener story line ended up in such a rapid and ridiculous way (presumably for editorial convenience) and, unpleasant though the subject matter was, the opportunity to help or advise people in that situation was entirely wasted.
Life's too short for ironing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 10:55:23 AM »
I don't understand, what does "clean fridges" mean?

sewingj

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 11:22:09 AM »
I have a too-small fridge in the kitchen and a chest freezer in the garage - which I hate.  It was bought back in the day when farmers felt they had to buy huge freezers just in case they killed a whole cow and needed to freeze it.  These days it is virtually empty and I take my life in my hands leaning in trying to reach to the bottom

I went off the Archers during the Helen story line - especially when Henry was involved.  Now I think it is getting particularly silly.  Does no-one get pregnant in a planned and `normal` manner?

crooknees

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 11:49:02 AM »
I was a regular listener to The Archers in my first couple of years as a farmers wife. City born, I had a lot to learn. However, I found out that the program could teach me nothing really important about farming. My DMIL was far more help,DH taught me to milk during the first couple of months and I came into my own at lambing time. The Archers became nothing more than an irritating soap to me. I did try again when a local girl, who my DD2 had taught to dance, got a role on the program, but it was still irritating.
I have one larder fridge, the biggest I could find, as we only at best, shop once a week and during busy times on the farm it can be 2 weeks. A year ago, I swapped my enormous freezer, (which used to hold half a cow, pig and a whole lamb) for an upright. Bliss :loveit: :loveit:
crooknees - buried under a mountain of fabric and yarn.

hernibs

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 12:10:52 PM »
Well, I only have one large one and wish I had had it when younger and entertaining....I wouldn't change it for the world....as for The Archers...gosh I gave up on them years ago....do admit when Nigel went something was sadly missing and didn't even listen to Helen's experiences at all but did read about it somewhere.  It used to be I wouldn't have missed any of it but when the younger generation started to be in the forefront it lost some of it's appeal for me.
I don't do soaps on tv either and could never take part in a quiz etc as I know nothing about them or the 'celebrities' connected with them.

Francesca

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 17:26:11 PM »
I'm an angry cleaner here too. I just find I whip through the cleaning much easier when I'm annoyed.

Single fridge though. I would love one of those huge American style ones. I might actually be able to get stuff in the freezer then!

Pearl

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 18:13:03 PM »
Agree that the killing off of Nigel was the beginning of the rot.  Also couldn't listen to the Rob and Helen story line.  Still listen from time to time but not as attached as previously.  Also, shouldn't Roy be having Abby to stay every other weekend?  Why are she and Hayley never mentioned?  Wouldn't Mike visit Ambridge?  They've only moved to Brum. 

Have never been driven to clean by anger.   :)

Deafoldbat

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2018, 19:11:00 PM »
Many moons ago, when I was very small, my grandfather lived with us. Every evening, he would was up the tea things, and listen to The Archers sitting by the radio in the dining room before joining the rest of us. One evening, after washing up, he came straight in and sat down to read the paper. When, as time went on, my father said he would miss The Archers, he looked up and replied 'B****r The Archers! 'Tis nothing but a lot of nonsense!' He never bothered with it again.
Needless to say, we had a catch phrase in our family for many years...

No idea, Bodgy, no idea....

toileandtrouble

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2018, 19:37:24 PM »
Perhaps the Archers have had their day. Remember when they killed off Mrs Dale's Diary?  There was much speculation as to how they would do it -  "Whoever would have thought that Mrs Freeman's cat carried bubonic plague?"

Kenora

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2018, 22:03:05 PM »
My only experience of The Archers was hearing it when my grandmother (who lived with us) had it on. She died when I was 17 which was over 50 years ago so I've never heard it since. I don't listen to any other radio either, and don't do soaps on TV.

As far as fridges are concerned, I only have one under-the-counter larder fridge, one upright freezer, and one chest freezer in the garage. All are kept full to the brim because DH is the shopper in our family and he likes buying food. To be fair, he eats most of it too.  :)

I don't clean when I'm angry but I have been known to clean frantically when I'm upset. There's something therapeutic about cleaning which gets my problems out of my system.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Lowena

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2018, 08:56:17 AM »
I don't clean when I'm happy... or sad...or angry.....I clean when I have to.......  every Monday and Friday  ;)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bowerbird

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2018, 09:05:08 AM »

No idea, but then I'm struggling with the word clean.

Housework is a highly over-rated pastime in my opinion.
previously known as Plottie,

justpottering

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2018, 13:36:19 PM »
I don't clean when I'm happy... or sad...or angry.....I clean when I have to.......  every Monday and Friday  ;)

Gosh Low as often as that! Once a week here but not always and other times if visitors expected like the in-laws once a year  0_0
(Thankfully we don't get visitors very often which suits us fine  0_0)

I suppose I should confess however that because I  bake for others and market then the kitchen is always pristine - sorry to let the side down here, but I could be inspected at any time  :S with the winter break from market the kitchen and all the baking paraphernalia gets a deep clean as well, and although I always think I'll do it early on in the break it usually gets done a few days before it all starts up again  :D
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Francesca

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2018, 16:33:26 PM »
My house is so dirty at the moment. I'm usually pretty good (clean kitchen before bed, scrub bathroom and hoover upstairs on a Sunday night, new bedsheets every other Sunday) but having been away for the weekend I couldn't muster a clean on Monday and haven't yet done it so it's now entirely overdue.

Lowena

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2018, 17:33:29 PM »
Fraid so JP.... thorough clean through the whole hose on  Friday, top up clean ( I don't wash the hard floors or dust the paintwork ) on  Monday.  :angel: :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D