The Sewing Place

Burda patterns - good or bad?

sewingj

Burda patterns - good or bad?
« on: February 06, 2018, 08:03:41 AM »
I haven`t sewn a Burda for years but have been looking at a couple recently.  However reading the reviews has put me off as there are lots of negative comments - mainly about the sizing and the quality of the instructions.  A typical review was "now I remember why I stopped sewing Burda"

Any thoughts?

UttaRetch

Re: Burda patterns - good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 08:30:46 AM »
'Satan's own pattern' was a Burda.  I had to recut some of the pieces and the instructions were not of the best. The whole thing was finally abandoned when I ended up with a shrunken collar.  The envelope patterns include seam allowances, but the magazines' do not.  The styles are good and a lot of people like the fit, but never again as far as I am concerned. 

Missie

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 08:46:05 AM »
I rarely buy Burda patterns, just because I have a massive stash of patterns but I've liked those that I have.  I love the Burda magazine designs, in the main; they do come up with some off the wall designs now and again.  However, I hate, hate, hate, hate the patterns.  They condensed them several years ago and trying to trace one off is like trying to navigate spaghetti junction.  I really have to brace myself if I want to make a Burda magazine pattern.  However, once done, I do really like the finished article.  Yes, I have to make certain changes, but then I have to with whichever company I use! 

And that was a long-winded way of saying I'm sitting on the fence lol!

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 08:54:19 AM »
A bit like Missie, I have used them, with no particular issues, but I'm getting too old, and my eyes are too bad lately to trace off the magazine patterns.

I do have a favourite T shirt pattern of theirs, but I bought it as a Pdf, which I thought rather expensive.

I tend to buy patterns by the style I like these days, and just make them work - or not!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Nevis5

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 10:03:21 AM »
For years I used nothing but Burda patterns, both the magazine versions and the paper envelopes.  They just fit me better than any of the other companies.  However since they rejigged the road maps in the magazines I stopped my subscription, just couldn't be bothered to try and fathom out all those lines (however Ottobre is even worse!  at least Burda has different coloured lines for each size!).

I still use the envelope patterns as I prefer the fit although they seem to be producing fewer new ones each season.  I haven't ever really had a problem with the instructions, you do need to read them through carefully and test them out on a scrap piece of fabric if they really seem inscrutable but they generally work out ok.

sewingj

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 10:58:23 AM »
The ones I am looking at are paper patterns.  They are for my daughter who is very much plus-size and Burda seem to have more choice than others - but I can`t say your comments are filling me with confidence!

Tamnymore

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 11:16:02 AM »
TBH I don't think I have used Burda paper pattern for some years as I seem to like Butterick and Vogue patterns best. However when I have used Burdas they have been fine. I agree that they have some nice young plus styles. I would give it a go.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Mama likes to make

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 11:28:56 AM »
It was a kids pattern but I made a burda paper pattern last week and it was fine. I would change a few of the instructions and did do those steps my own way but that was personal preference in my case.
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

maliw

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 12:49:09 PM »
I like Burda patterns especially as they now have the seam allowance included. I've made up several ones, all with good results.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

lakaribane

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 14:44:13 PM »
I am a MASSIVE Burda fangirl #burda4life  0_0 I was raised on Burda, tracing patterns for my mother. Cousine Claire, the spinster seamstress of the family, Cousine Viviane, Tante Gisèle (who turned me onto Vogue patterns too!), Chantale, my mother's choir friend, so many women sewed Burda around me!

I love them the sharp styles. Burda told me overalls/jumpsuits/dungarees were back at least a couple of years ago. I should have listened!

I love them for the constancy: what you see is what you get. I go by my actual body measurements and, other than my standard alterations (Petite, Narrow Shoulders, size down waist), they fit.

I did a small survey back in 2009 that I had posted on Pattern Review at the time. Compared 4-5 Burda size charts from 1980 to 2009. Only two measurements had changed in that time span and by 0,5 cm only!

Now the downsides.

Like most EU pattern magazines, you have to trace them. I am used to figuring them out, I don't even pre-trace on the pattern sheet but I understand how others may not feel up to this chore.

If Burda says close-fitting, it is a tight dress! If they say loose, it's a muumuu. And they love plunging necklines.

The instructions are minimal and somethings poorly worded. Two nights ago, I helped someone on PR figure out the facing instructions on a backless top. They really  need to improve this, IMO. To me, it feels as though the translator is not done by a sewing-savvy professional. It's more a sewing order than anything, though Style Arc does it better.

Obviously, I am in favor of Burda  :D and do recommend them often.

Do note that the regular sizes 34-44 have a distinct block from the Plus 44-52. So those 44s are not equal! I've read some criticism of the Plus size designs on PR but that's not my range so I don't really know if that's a fair judgement.

On the DE and FR sites, at least, you can buy the envelope patterns as downloads. I really wish they would do this for the US site (which accepts my credit card!). Rarely, they will issue the same design as an envelope after it had appeared in the magazine.

I personally have never found a Burda where the pattern pieces did not match up in size at the seam. In fact, I was flabbergasted to learn that Big4/US patterns had this happen. How???

One last thing. They shortened the size chart back in Fall 2015? so to get the full set of measurements, it's best to download a chart online. I really love this about EU pattern magazines in general. Now that I am better at fitting, I really cannot be satisfied with the meager 3 measurements of Big4 and most Indies.

ETA that the main difference btw size ranges Petite, Regular and Tall is length throughout the pattern. At least in two places for bodice, bottom and sleeve!

Also, the usual size range is 36-42 for 1,68m and 44-52 for Plus but the Junior/Easy patterns can be start at 32 or 34.

Apologies for the crimes against Shakespeare. I have excuses: bad cold, difficult morning.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 14:52:07 PM by lakaribane »

lakaribane

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 14:45:11 PM »
there are lots of negative comments - mainly about the sizing

Where are you reading this? I would like to take a look!

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 15:09:55 PM »
@lakaribane: the main criticism is the poor instructions. 0_0

Samantha

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 16:21:06 PM »
I don't find Burda patterns any better or any worse than any of the big four in regards to sizing and instructions. I do like to flick through the magazine in WHS and if there are 3 patterns I think I might make then I buy it. I also bought a Burda paper patten last year (dungarees) I had trouble working out what size I should use and it came up a bit large but apart from that all good.

Surest1tch

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 22:01:15 PM »
I personally don't like Burda patterns they don't seem to be sized in proper proportion compared to Vogue patterns.

Lachica

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 23:12:26 PM »
I like them, I've had a couple of envelope ones and they fitted me well. You don't get as many balance marks as on some others, but in my limited experience the notches all matched perfectly & they went together well. I've traced a few off from magazines, I didn't  find it too bad once I worked out how to find the lines I wanted. They also went together very well but the lack of seam allowances caught me out the first time. The novice who I helped yesterday had 2 Burda children's dress patterns. One had s/a included, the other didn't. The instructions were poorly worded and needed more diagrammes. Not good for a novice but not a problem for me as I rarely follow the construction order given in a pattern.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.