The Sewing Place

Getting Excited

Lowena

Getting Excited
« on: August 05, 2018, 11:19:25 AM »
I'm getting excited about my first ( and probably last as it's cost me an arm and a leg ) visit to the FOQ.
I'm a bit worried about getting from the bus stop at the airport ( bus terminal stop G ) to the hotel PI ( Northway NEC ) but if it's too far to walk I expect there'll be a taxi  -<
I'm trying to decide what I need to buy, what I need to wear, what I need to take and how to split my time between the quilts and shopping. Is anyone else staying at the PI ( apart from myself and Iminei )? What's the best time to get to the NEC ( I've heard there are queues first thing)?
Now.......will I need a shopping bag???  :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sandra

Re: Getting Excited
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 11:31:42 AM »
Any chance there might be a shuttle bus running to get you from the bus stop to the hotel?

I've never encountered any queues but I don't leave the house until about half ten so I'm able to walk straight in when I get there.

Now.......will I need a shopping bag???  :D

0_0  Yes. You might need one.

Sandra.
xxx

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 11:39:25 AM »
Do you have a shopping trolley?

I am envious, but I don't do crowds very well, so I'm really looking forward to visiting through you lot.   :)

When I was in Doughtys last week they were frantically cutting what they called 'nuggets'  (I think), which appeared to be fat quarters that were going to sell for a pound a piece.   :o   They said people would be 6 deep on them though...

Enjoy yourself @Lowena!!   :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 12:01:38 PM »
Dont know about from the station to the hotel but there is usually a shuttle to and from NEC to all the hotels in the area.

Sadly this hotel is not really walkable (unless you like living dangerously) as the Ibis styles is ... but it costs a third less so ???

But there will be taxis which if you share will be easily affordable.

Yes its an expense Low,
but you will see quilts like you can never imagine and as for the shopping .. if they dont have it there ....
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sandra

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 12:03:32 PM »
Ooooh, yes. The Doughty's stall with the big plastic tubs full of fat quarters.

A very popular stall. Even my daughter couldn't resist buying from there.

Sandra.
xxx

Sewingsue

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 12:28:53 PM »
Yes its an expense Low,
but you will see quilts like you can never imagine and as for the shopping .. if they dont have it there ....
Probably the best description of FOQ (and justification for going) that you will read.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 13:13:35 PM »
It's not getting to the NEC as there's a shuttle, it's to and from the bus station on arrival and departure @Iminei  Still, I've spent so much that a taxi fare or two won't break the bank  -<
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Pearl

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 13:52:57 PM »
Try to pre-book a taxi, @Lowena as this is always cheaper. 

Don't worry any more.  I'm only 30 mins away and wouldn't leave you stranded.   

Sheilago

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2018, 17:32:11 PM »
Ooh, I’m feeling quite envious. I’ve never been to a quilt show except little local ones and it sounds like you’re all going to have a great time. Maybe I’ll get to go to one in Glasgow or Edinburgh - or who knows, I could even venture to Birmingham sometime ! In the meantime I’m enjoying every second with my newborn granddaughter, but look forward to hearing your tales and seeing some photos. Sure Imi’s village will be well admired!