The Sewing Place

Has anyone dyed zips?

Ploshkin

Has anyone dyed zips?
« on: February 07, 2018, 12:02:49 PM »
I need to get the zips for my upcoming Ziggi jacket.  The zips are exposed (front, pockets and sleeves) so I would like them to match my very dark purple fabric.  I want metal teeth and can only find metal zips in a basic range of colours, none of which are remotely purple.
I had resigned myself to getting black ones though I know they will forever irk me but now I'm wondering about dying.  I'm thinking that metal zips have cotton tape (not sure) and dye wouldn't affect metal.  I haven't actually dyed anything since sloshing stuff around in Dylon in my mum's old single tub washing machine in the late sixties.  I expect dyes have moved on since then.
Any advice or thoughts folks?
Life's too short for ironing.

lakaribane

Re: Has anyone dyed zips?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 12:21:02 PM »
I'm interested too! Locally, they only sell about 5-6 colors so I bought a lot of white zippers in an online sale. So I want to know too!

Fiber content of the tape is key, I'm sure...

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 12:46:42 PM »
I'm sure most zips with metal teeth have cotton tapes so they should dye well. If the result matches well with the main garment it wouldn't matter too much if the colour ran in the wash either. Well worth a try I would have thought.

Sandra

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 13:56:14 PM »
Matching zip colours is a pain in the ar... erm, neck.

There are very limited colours available for metal zips, but I don't think? you'll find them to have cotton tape... I always think of the cotton tape being the old fashioned, vintage kind.

I'm sometimes lucky to find 'odd' colour zips online at Ribbonmoon, but they're not usually known, branded names...(I always try to use YKK or Opti.)
Other than that, I sometimes (optimistically) hope to find odd colours at the market...(Brum for me.)

I suppose without the tape being cotton, they won't dye very well.

Sorry I've got no helpful suggestions for you.

Sandra.
xxx

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 15:23:53 PM »
I've seen mention of YKK I zips with cotton tape but when you go on zip selling sites they don't mention the nature of the tape.

Sandra

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 15:38:18 PM »
Ooooh!  :o  Just found some on Kleins, but they're not cheap.

Choice of silver or gold coloured teeth and they're 100cm long...... £15 each!!!

Goodness me....need a 'plan B' at that price.

Sandra.
xxx

Just found some on Macculloch and Wallis at £5 each (plus VAT) These are 71cm long.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 15:43:59 PM by Sandra »

StitchinTime

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 15:43:16 PM »
Macculloch and Wallis have dyeable zips that are 71 cm long and that you can adjust to your required length by buying additional stops.
https://www.macculloch-wallis.co.uk/p/66/dyes-dyeables/mw/rubi-no5-raw-cotton-ivory-tape-open-end-zip

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 08:59:24 AM »
Thanks both, I've got to the stage where I can't see for looking now.
One problem I'm having is matching up short zips with the long open ended one that I need.  The Maculloch & Wallis open ended one would be just the job but there are no matching short zips.  I suppose I could get 2 or 3 long ones and stops and sliders and cut them up but some of the zip pulls I've seen are more expensive than zips.
Sandra, I've never come across Klein's before, they've got a good range of bits and Bob's on there but whoever thought it was a good idea to photograph everything on a pebble background - it's like Where's Wally with some of the small stuff.

Morgan

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 09:53:15 AM »
Re fibre content - different dyes for different types of fibre and successful dyeing

How to dye different fibre types

About dyes

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 11:41:17 AM »
I've given in and ordered zips from Jaycotts, I'm trying dark grey to see how it fares.  I'll stitch them as close to the teeth as possible.
M&W's are a reasonable price but only have dyeable long, open ended zips - no short ones. 
Klein's are very pricy and I was put off by a very supercilious man who seemed quite irritated that I was asking him questions.  He didn't think it advisable for anyone apart from him to attempt to cut down zips with cotton tape.  Anyway I couldn't justify paying over £40 for zips when the fabric and lining has cost £25.

I did also look at some dyes for non natural fibres but the sellers wouldn't post because of postal restrictions.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 11:43:06 AM by Ploshkin »

Vegegrow

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 11:50:50 AM »
could you use a felt tip pen?... and pre wash in case of colour run or dylon do this but it may be the wrong shade for you https://www.gursewingmachines.com/search?term=Fabric+Marker+Pens+Purple&submit=+
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Ploshkin

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 11:52:43 AM »
I thought of fabric marker pens but they wouldn't get to the tape between the zip teeth.

Sandra

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 12:50:53 PM »
I'm often on the lookout for 'different' coloured zips, and I think that's how I found Kleins...never tried phoning them though, so I've never had the pleasure of the Important Zip Shortening Man. 0_0

Yes...They're horribly expensive but they have some lovely items. They had some fabulous invisible zips in colours I've never been able to get anywhere else.
Very rare I've bought from them.

Sandra.
xxx

ClareInStitches

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 21:50:33 PM »
I have just found 8 long zips and 2 shorter ones, all with metal teeth - silvery - and on cotton tapes in various colours, some pale pastels. The zip pulls are nothing special, but you can replace those or disguise them. They might even take some dye colour. One of the shorter ones has a 'Winfield' label. Wasn't that Woolworth's? It cost 29p. I cannot believe that I am ever going to use them.

If you would like to give me you address I shall be very glad to send them to you for experimental dying purposes.

Clare.

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2018, 07:17:35 AM »
That is really kind of you Clare but I got some very dark zips and have put a couple of them in now.  The zips are exposed but I have made the window very tight so that the tape can't be seen.  Thank you for the offer.