The Sewing Place

Ebay strikes again

b15erk

Ebay strikes again
« on: February 08, 2018, 09:14:54 AM »
Last week, while looking for something else, I came across a Clover mini iron, on Ebay for £12.99 + £3.89 postage.  Well, at that price I had to have it, especially as I'm doing some FPP, for which it would be really useful.

It came yesterday.  To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. All that was in the package was the iron, in a cardboard square tube (?).

But, it had two heat settings so I switched it on.  It took a while to heat up, so I read the packaging.  The instructions said that it should not be used without the stand.  I checked, no stand.  Then I smelt burning - it had rolled over onto my bag lining and burnt a hole! 

So, I fired off an email, and when it had gone, I had another look at the instructions - such as they are.  The iron should have come with a bag as well as the iron, so off went another email....

Then I realised that nowhere did the name Clover appear....

Another email went off.

The replies - three up to now:

hello, the Chinese gave a piece of a nasty tin, the best to buy a normal soldering iron stand,
unfortunately in the new delivery in UK plug version - they do not make any of these plates, we can also make a small refund for this blade, but it is better and safer to buy a soldering stand e.g. such:
eBay item number:361413639368

this product dont have the bag

yes this model zd-733 is mini iron,
dont look to packing, this is made in china frequent mistakes in manual or packing

of course if you dont want this iron just sent it back and we will make FULL refund

or if you want keep and refund 4GBP for missing bag and stand let me know

All three replies are inadequate.  The offer of a refund would be good, but I will have then paid 2 lots of postage, for something which is clearly not as described, and could possibly be dangerous.

Any thought on how to proceed girls? 

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Roger

Re: Ebay strikes again
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 09:20:36 AM »
I would complain to eBay that the item is not as described, and dangerous and that the seller isn’t resolving it appropriately.

That all sounds pretty duff!

A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Sandra

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 09:24:30 AM »
Are they trying to pass it off as a 'Clover' product?

If so, then as Roger says...it's not as described. You can report the seller.

I'd be worried about returning though. They might say it 'didn't arrive'...and why should you have to pay out the extra postage?

Sandra.
xxx

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 09:30:42 AM »
A good seller would e mail you a postage paid label.
DH recently had to return a phone and 2 subsequent replacements to a seller.  Each time the seller e mailed a return label and also gave a full refund when the 3rd one had a fault and DH gave up.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 09:33:33 AM »
Fleabay, Paypal, Trading Standards, Watchdog ... As big a stink as you can cope with.

I bought this on recommendation of Paula Doyle

Mini Iron

Not as mini as a clover (shown on a 9" block)  but comes with a stand, heats up quick and half the price(ish) of a clover.

Its a thingymy for bonding plasticky stuff to model airplane wings ...

(Com'on Roger help me out here )
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 09:33:59 AM »
Just thought I'd add a few pics.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 09:36:20 AM »
Sandra, yes, it's advertised as follows:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122712376973

Clover Mini- Iron.

Jessie

Roger

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 09:44:13 AM »
Straight to eBay... if it’s not as advertised, then it’s up to them to sort it out, I’d probably also point it out to Clover too...

Sorry Imi... I have no idea- is it for transfers or Fibreglass or similar?
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 09:48:15 AM »
It looks very different to the Clover branded mini irons, and in the description bit of the listing (Item Specifics), the brand is listed as Armepol.
They shouldn't list it as Clover though, but I do wonder if, as it appears English is not their first language, they think the Clover bit is the type of iron, not a brand?  No excuse  though!
I'd ask for a full refund, including all postage costs incurred, as it's not Clover as advertised.

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 09:52:12 AM »
Just reported to Ebay, and asked for a full refund including return postage.  I also added the photos that I have posted here.

I've just read the feedback, should have done it straight away.  Someone else complained about the same item!

The ad is also misleading as it lists uk-stock in the ad, but the stuff is coming from Poland.

Lesson learned.  :'(

Jessie

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 09:53:40 AM »
Always read all the small print is a maxim well followed  :(
Ebay should sort it out for you. I just use a travel iron...£10 from The Range
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 09:56:16 AM »
Sorry Imi... I have no idea- is it for transfers or Fibreglass or similar?

But Roger!!! You're a boy!!! Boys know about this sort of stuff!!!!!!!   :S

Found it ... Ahh the power of Google!

Proluxe sealing iron

Use the thermostatic switch to control the desired temperature. Temperature control from 55 deg C to 205 deg C with minimal temperature drift. Perfect for any heat shrink film or fabric covering. New iron shoe for easier covering procedure. Teflon coated shoe prevents scratching. Safety metal stand & iron sock included. Comfortable handling.

and applique or mini piecing!!!

Interesting that the other items peeps bought when buying this is not a pot of battleship grey paint or Luftwaffe transfer kit ... but a June Tailor Quilters Cut n Press !!!  :D
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 10:00:55 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BlueCat

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 09:56:52 AM »

Not as mini as a clover (shown on a 9" block)  but comes with a stand, heats up quick and half the price(ish) of a clover.

Its a thingymy for bonding plasticky stuff to model airplane wings ...

(Com'on Roger help me out here )

Its a Thermal Sealing Iron, usually bought by model makers. I bought mine from a local model airplane shop.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 09:59:17 AM by BlueCat »

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 09:58:15 AM »
I didn't even need the thing!  I bought it because it was very cheap (that should have rung alarm bells!), and would have been useful for the FPP Unicorn....

I'll stick with the little travel iron I've been using... :S

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 10:00:51 AM »
Imi, I think it's for people who build remote controlled model aircraft.  We have a customer who does this, and he uses a mini iron.

I'm right off the idea now.  :(

Jessie