The Sewing Place

Ebay strikes again

Roger

Re: Ebay strikes again
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 10:07:59 AM »

But Roger!!! You're a boy!!! Boys know about this sort of stuff!!!!!!!   :S

Found it ... Ahh the power of Google!

Proluxe sealing iron

I never really got into models... but gadgets... I may have to add this to my wish list :)

eBay should definitely wade in and sort... misselling  and using a reputable company’s brand is definitely dodgy!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

b15erk

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 10:16:37 AM »
Well, that was quick!!

Instant full refund, and no need to return the offending item!

Thank so much for the moral support gang!  :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lowena

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 10:18:01 AM »
Wahay! great result
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sandra

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 10:23:20 AM »
That's fantastic Jessie!

Sandra.
xxx

StitchinTime

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 10:43:43 AM »
Great news.

If you decide to carry on using the iron, this website suggests using a wooden spoon instead of the stand. A ceramic spoon rest or used teabag holder would probably work just as well.
http://yesterdaysthimble.com/articles/10-unconventional-sewing-hacks/

b15erk

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 10:48:37 AM »
What excellent tips SiT!  I'll be going back and having a proper read of these!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Acorn

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 10:54:54 AM »
Brilliant!  Top marks to Ebay.   :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Roger

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 11:01:23 AM »
So glad that was quick and painlessly resolved!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Ploshkin

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 12:11:18 PM »
I'm glad that you got that resolved quickly Jessie.
I have one of these seam rollers on my list for the next time I get an order from cotton patch although I do find that a fingernail works well if I can't be bothered getting up and down for the iron on the other side of the room.
Life's too short for ironing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2018, 15:23:39 PM »
@b15erk: the seller is a liar.  The ebay listing says located in United Kingdom.  Clearly not judging by the standard of English and the photograph is miles better than what you actually received.  I am afraid that the lesson here is if it seems to be good to be true, then it probably is.  :(
What goes around comes around.

sewingj

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2018, 15:58:00 PM »
I have one of these seam rollers on my list for the next time I get an order from cotton patch although I do find that a fingernail works well if I can't be bothered getting up and down for the iron on the other side of the room.

I reckon my dad had one of those for pressing down the edges of wallpaper - it`s one of the many things I chucked out when we sold his bungalow and now wish I hadn`t

Ploshkin

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2018, 17:33:34 PM »
A fabric seam roller has a curved profile so that the edges don't leave tramlines on the fabric.  A wallpaper seam roller has a flat profile.
Life's too short for ironing.

justpottering

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2018, 21:39:15 PM »

Oh no now I think I need to get a wooden seam roller Plosh   :S although to be fair I don't do much in 100% cotton fabrics, great for those though I should think..........and there's me only just got my clapper  :ninja:
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

poptart

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2018, 09:28:10 AM »
There is a lot of passing off goes on on eBay, and they've been forced to clamp down on it by threats of legal action from the big brands. I'm glad you got a quick and happy resolution, Jessie. I once bought what was listed as a Radley messenger bag and what came was a cheap tat imitation. Got an instant refund, like you, but there are a lot of chancers selling on eBay and presumably not everyone spots the difference. If you see anything listed that you think might be iffy it's worth reporting it to help stamp this out.

Ellabella

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2018, 10:15:09 AM »
What always annoys me about eBay, is the fabric descriptions.

Something described as Silk, should be made of silk not polyester.

And exactly which animal does PU leather come from?
Desperately trying to alliterate in North Yorkshire