Ebay strikes again

Surest1tch

Re: Ebay strikes again
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2018, 19:56:35 PM »
Report it 👍

Madame Cholet

« Reply #31 on: Yesterday at 15:20:07 »
What always annoys me about eBay, is the fabric descriptions.

Something described as Silk, should be made of silk not polyester.

<politely snipped>

I experienced this recently. My DD is off to Thailand soon on her hols and last time she went I made her a pair of beautiful and comfy silk trousers out of a vintage silk saree I had bought on ebay. They have since been worn to death and so she asked me if I could possibly make her two new pairs for her next travels. So she picked two sarees, from two different ebay sellers in India, and each was described as 'pure silk'.

Except they are not. I did a burn test on a scrap of each and both samples melted into blobs rather than produce ash.

I contacted the seller of the first, who offered to let me keep it for half price. I said it was of no use to me as I had ordered it believing it to be 'pure silk', and I offered to return it as long as he refunded in full what I had paid plus the cost of return postage in advance. So he refunded me in full, said I could keep it, but requested that I did not leave any feedback... (Why? So he can continue to get away with selling obviously-not-silk-'silk'- rubbish?  >:))
I don't have the option of leaving feedback now as I have been refunded.

I'm currently waiting for the seller of the second one to respond... I did the 'item not as described' option rather than just messaging the seller this time, hoping that ebay would step in and just refund me immediately, but no, it looks like I'll have to wait.

So I now have 2 sarees that I don't want. One is a crisp and pouffy fabric, while the other has a very soft drape. The colours are lovely, but they are not what we wanted. If anyone wants either of them or both, please let me know, I have some recycled (ahem) large letter stamps from ebay purchases and assuming I can pack them into large letter sizing they are free to a good home  :)

(... that's assuming I get a full refund for the second one... also I can post pics if anyone is interested... when I get confirmation that I'm being refunded for the second I'll put a thread into the for sale etc sub forum as well).
I nurse unloved vintage Berninas back to health and then just cannot bring myself to part with any of them... 807, 830, 840, 530-2, 930, 910, and a modded 717 in a Singer treadle base.

DementedFairy

« Reply #32 on: Yesterday at 15:50:10 »
Most of the silk saris I've bought have actually been silk- you have to read every single word of the description- the not silk ones do usually say so way way down the listing.  In a world where your average Joe Soap thinks that anything silky is silk...it's not surprising I suppose.
I'm just about to cut up my gorgeous silk sari- even more impressed that what I took to be a braid applied border is actually woven in with metallic thread- very nice too!
C'est moi!

Madame Cholet

« Reply #33 on: Yesterday at 16:22:13 »
These are the original listings, and they screamed 'pure silk' at my daughter and me, although having just read them again just now it does say 'silk material' further down the listing description:

... and having looked at those listings now side by side and noting the similarity of the text etc although they are not the same ebay shop, I suspect that they are the same seller. 

They were a few pounds less than what pure silk ones usually are sold for, but we assumed that was because they are incomplete lengths and not the full 5 yards or so of saree.

Iirc the silk saree I bought last time was described as 'khadi silk', it had a repeating textured motif design which had been woven in, and it was a bit like seersucker too, with a lovely gridded texture in the weave of the rest of it. It wasn't printed but had been dip dyed in bands of maroon, gold and olive green and had gold metallic embroidery on the hemmed edge. It had rips and tears but there was enough fabric for me to avoid them. In future I think I'll only pick ones that are described as 'khadi silk' and double and triple check the listing description. I think there's still time to order another one or two but I'll wait for the refund to be processed first.
I nurse unloved vintage Berninas back to health and then just cannot bring myself to part with any of them... 807, 830, 840, 530-2, 930, 910, and a modded 717 in a Singer treadle base.

Sewingsue

« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 16:38:15 »
But they do both say PURE SILK and Material: Silk

So what else would you think you were buying?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 16:43:38 »
But they do both say PURE SILK and Material: Silk

So what else would you think you were buying?

Yes I know. I can't quite get my head around someone selling something that isn't silk but claiming that it is, and then having to refund everyone... surely it's a lose-lose situation for them?

DementedFairy

« Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 17:42:54 »
I got mine from this seller here
and previously I bought from this one and also this one Going on the photos, the last 2 may be the same seller lol
All were  a bit fusty, with a very few minor flaws, but all silk
C'est moi!

Madame Cholet

« Reply #37 on: Yesterday at 17:49:00 »
I got mine from this seller here
and previously I bought from this one and also this one Going on the photos, the last 2 may be the same seller lol
All were  a bit fusty, with a very few minor flaws, but all silk

Fabulous, thank you DF, I'll bookmark those sellers and have a good look later.  :)