The Sewing Place

Would you?

Francesca

Re: Would you?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 14:37:06 PM »
My thought on it is that you shouldn't post things on line if you do not want comment. Whether that's a good comment or a bad comment. The top is not well made, and looks bad in my opinion. If the person making it had not chosen to publish it online we'd never have known about it. But they made it public. I would have no qualms receiving criticism for something I've posted into the wide world.

arrow

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 15:15:36 PM »
I have seen too many odd things before from designers who probably have the skill to taylor jackets and tops well enough, and I just let it pass. We are sold odd and off the mark as new and innovative all the time. If I should say anything; since the folds in the arms and shoulders are deliberate, the only thing that would improve the chest part is a bit more fabric in the shoulder area of the main front piece?

DementedFairy

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 15:26:54 PM »
Manky looking tops in my opinion [which is of course, completely correct lol].  The design is weak, with the armholes being so low, and all that gathered jersey likely to sag and pull at the top of the bodice...and then the neckline is messed up [as she admits]
If it's on the net, it's fair game I'm afraid.  After all, this is why some folk won't put their pics up.  I'm not fussed, anyone can point out where I've screwed up.  I either haven't noticed, and would appreciate the input [I think of it as telling someone they have their skirt in their knickers] or I am aware and don't give a monkey's.  Either way, feel free tocomment!
C'est moi!

BrendaP

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 16:34:03 PM »
It looks to me as though she's used a very stretchy fabric with a pattern designed for wovens.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Francesca

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 19:32:17 PM »
It looks to me as though she's used a very stretchy fabric with a pattern designed for wovens.

Nope the pattern is designed for the sort of fabric she used. You can google the pattern name from the article.

BrendaP

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 21:39:38 PM »
I still think that much of the problem is fabric choice.

https://iampatterns.fr/en/sewing-patterns/82-lion.html  says that the recommended fabric is "jersey for sweatshirt" which I take to mean a thick knitted fabric with some stretch but not a huge amount.

The fabric she used is stretch jersey knit dress fabric  which is likely to be thinner and more stretchy.

To be fair though in the blog she does say "My Lion sweater was not a very successful make and although I will wear this one, I doubt that I will make another one in the future."
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.