The Sewing Place

Too old for flamingoes? Be honest!

sewingj

Too old for flamingoes? Be honest!
« on: February 09, 2018, 14:11:04 PM »
I`m very taken with this to make a short sleeved top for the summer  (loose t-shirtish)

https://www.dittofabrics.co.uk/plain-and-printed-jersey-fabric/printed-jersey-fabric-ditto-fabrics/flamingo-design-cotton-and-elastane-jersey-fabric

but when I showed it to husband he obviously thought I was joking.
I`m nearly 61 and don`t want to wear boring clothes - but there`s a narrow line between quirky and inappropriate!
Be honest please - it`s not cheap so I don`t want to buy it if I`m going to look ridiculous

(the flamingoes are 9cms tall so they might be a bit big for what I have in mind anyway)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 14:13:44 PM by sewingj »

b15erk

Re: Too old for flamingoes? Be honest!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 14:14:33 PM »
It's beautiful SJ!  I would wear that as a top, and I'm 65!  :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 14:26:56 PM »
It's beautiful SJ!  I would wear that as a top, and I'm 65!  :)

Jessie

Me too...

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 14:29:19 PM »
Go for it!  If I saw a 90 year old wearing a top made in that lovely fabric I would think, 'She has got STYLE!'

I generally think that everyone should wear whatever they like (as long as it's decent and not offensive), but I admit that I would cringe a little at anyone over 40 (30?) wearing cutesy baby-type designs (I think I would be wrong to, but I would!) 

These flamingoes aren't cutesy - they're quirky and stylish.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 14:37:52 PM »
I love the fabric. Personally I think I'm too old (70 ) and fat ( size 16 ) to wear anything bright, colourful, patterned, but you're younger ( and probably slimmer )  and so it would be more suitable  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 14:46:37 PM »
Now I'm going to say differently to everyone else - I think you're too young for that.  I have no wish to offend anyone, and this is just my personal opinion, but that says "old lady" to me  :| 
*runs away and hides quickly*

Lizzy777

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 14:52:14 PM »
Flamingo fabric is in fashion isn't it at present? I know looking around some of the fabric sites, there is so much choice in different colours and sizes.

I don't think you are too old for the fabric. I would go with what you want to go with and tell hubby you fancy making him a matching shirt so you can go out together in style :)

Fabric is ageless these days I think?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 15:47:52 PM by Lizzy777 »

arrow

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 15:02:35 PM »
It's all about making it work, and for tops they can easily have patterns can't they?

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 15:14:55 PM »
Loving it!!! especially the humming birds flitting in and out!!!

and on a similar vein .....

45" x 23" (ish)

I really think I should make another as this lives in my SIL's house in Nottinghamshire.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 16:42:31 PM »
I'm going to use a flamingo fabric for a dress for the One Pattern Three Ways challenge.  The dress will be for me and I'm 68.
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 17:00:56 PM »
sewingj, the fabric wouldn't be for me and I'm 60 next birthday BUT if you love it, don't let the numbers thing mess with your head.
What goes around comes around.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 18:19:04 PM »
fat ( size 16 )
:S Size 16? Fat? There is no hope for me then.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Surest1tch

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 19:16:59 PM »
It's fabulous, I'm 64 and quite conservative with clothes but I would definitely wear that, I love it 👍

sewingj

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 19:37:06 PM »
Right - you`ve all persuaded me but I am going to send for a sample first mainly to check the colours

If I make it and people laugh at me in the street I shall hold you all responsible

Tamnymore

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 19:38:32 PM »
I love it and I'd wear it and I'm over 60. Right I think that's a majority in favour so I think we've voted it in.  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde