The Sewing Place

Too old for flamingoes? Be honest!

sewingj

Too old for flamingoes? Be honest!
« on: February 09, 2018, 14:11:04 PM »
I`m very taken with this to make a short sleeved top for the summer  (loose t-shirtish)

https://www.dittofabrics.co.uk/plain-and-printed-jersey-fabric/printed-jersey-fabric-ditto-fabrics/flamingo-design-cotton-and-elastane-jersey-fabric

but when I showed it to husband he obviously thought I was joking.
I`m nearly 61 and don`t want to wear boring clothes - but there`s a narrow line between quirky and inappropriate!
Be honest please - it`s not cheap so I don`t want to buy it if I`m going to look ridiculous

(the flamingoes are 9cms tall so they might be a bit big for what I have in mind anyway)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 14:13:44 PM by sewingj »

b15erk

Re: Too old for flamingoes? Be honest!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 14:14:33 PM »
It's beautiful SJ!  I would wear that as a top, and I'm 65!  :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 14:26:56 PM »
It's beautiful SJ!  I would wear that as a top, and I'm 65!  :)

Jessie

Me too...

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 14:29:19 PM »
Go for it!  If I saw a 90 year old wearing a top made in that lovely fabric I would think, 'She has got STYLE!'

I generally think that everyone should wear whatever they like (as long as it's decent and not offensive), but I admit that I would cringe a little at anyone over 40 (30?) wearing cutesy baby-type designs (I think I would be wrong to, but I would!) 

These flamingoes aren't cutesy - they're quirky and stylish.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 14:37:52 PM »
I love the fabric. Personally I think I'm too old (70 ) and fat ( size 16 ) to wear anything bright, colourful, patterned, but you're younger ( and probably slimmer )  and so it would be more suitable  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 14:46:37 PM »
Now I'm going to say differently to everyone else - I think you're too young for that.  I have no wish to offend anyone, and this is just my personal opinion, but that says "old lady" to me  :| 
*runs away and hides quickly*

Lizzy777

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 14:52:14 PM »
Flamingo fabric is in fashion isn't it at present? I know looking around some of the fabric sites, there is so much choice in different colours and sizes.

I don't think you are too old for the fabric. I would go with what you want to go with and tell hubby you fancy making him a matching shirt so you can go out together in style :)

Fabric is ageless these days I think?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 15:47:52 PM by Lizzy777 »

arrow

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 15:02:35 PM »
It's all about making it work, and for tops they can easily have patterns can't they?

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 15:14:55 PM »
Loving it!!! especially the humming birds flitting in and out!!!

and on a similar vein .....

45" x 23" (ish)

I really think I should make another as this lives in my SIL's house in Nottinghamshire.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 16:42:31 PM »
I'm going to use a flamingo fabric for a dress for the One Pattern Three Ways challenge.  The dress will be for me and I'm 68.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 17:00:56 PM »
sewingj, the fabric wouldn't be for me and I'm 60 next birthday BUT if you love it, don't let the numbers thing mess with your head.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 18:19:04 PM »
fat ( size 16 )
:S Size 16? Fat? There is no hope for me then.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Surest1tch

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 19:16:59 PM »
It's fabulous, I'm 64 and quite conservative with clothes but I would definitely wear that, I love it

sewingj

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 19:37:06 PM »
Right - you`ve all persuaded me but I am going to send for a sample first mainly to check the colours

If I make it and people laugh at me in the street I shall hold you all responsible

Tamnymore

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 19:38:32 PM »
I love it and I'd wear it and I'm over 60. Right I think that's a majority in favour so I think we've voted it in.  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde