The Sewing Place

Slip sliding away...

Acorn

Slip sliding away...
« on: February 10, 2018, 12:45:28 PM »
There are various things on offer to stop quilting rulers from slipping on your fabric.  Does anyone have any experience or recommendations?  I would have thought that with the little stick on pads there would be too much chance of them being in the wrong places when cutting something small, but maybe they grip the cutting mat anyway so that wouldn't be an issue.

I have two rulers and they are driving me mad - I really can't risk cutting into any fabric that matters given how often they slip just as I'm going along the edge with my rotary cutter.  They weren't cheap, though, and I don't really want to replace them with non-slip rulers.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

Re: Slip sliding away...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 13:05:41 PM »
Sandpaper dots every time!

Just make sure you dont place them on frequently used measurements (ask me how I know ... -<)

Omnigrid do rulers with non slip already attached ... Omnigrip
Now Im not suggesting you need buy new rulers but maybe look closely as to where the non slip discs are placed ??!

There is a plastic film (like you used to attach tax discs with) available too but I found that impaired the visibilty ...
But that could be just me!

If you want to try that tho' let me know as I have a sheet of it somewhere that I will gladly send to you.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 13:36:21 PM »
...Now Im not suggesting you need buy new rulers but maybe look closely as to where the non slip discs are placed ??!

Ooh now, that's a good idea!

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 14:54:42 PM »
I've used the stick on rings and find they work well - as you say they do grip the mat as well as the fabric.  I placed them on the rulers so that an intersection of the inch markings was in the centre hole of the ring.  That also means that they are an inch away from ruler edges and don't seem to get in the way.
Life's too short for ironing.

maliw

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 15:46:36 PM »
I use stick on rings but also I use a strip of masking tape along the measurement line that I want to use (very slightly to the left - I'm right handed) the fabric then butts up against the tape giving a bit more stability. This is useful for strip cutting especially.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Kenora

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 22:34:12 PM »
I've used the non-slip rings and found they were quite good. I used small rings on small rulers, and large rings on ...... well, i'm sure you've got the gist.  :)

They still don't do quite as good a job as the OmniGrip rulers which are excellent.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 22:35:54 PM »
I have some stick on thingies ordered.   :)   I think they're dots rather than rings, but I'm impatient and so I had to get them from Amazon.

If I get any more rulers I think I will go for Omnigrip.

Kenora

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 22:50:27 PM »
Mine looked like dots when I received them but, when I looked more closely, they had an outer and an inner (which was handy) as it doubled their usefulness. :))

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 22:59:26 PM »
I've just had a look a the enlarged picture, and they are rings.   :)  (Then I read the name on the packet in the picture, which said 'Non-Slip Adhesive rings'   :o )

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 09:34:33 AM »
Acorn, you should find that you get little bits that push out of the middle of the rings that might also come in useful.

I've got one Omnigrip ruler, I actually got it because of its useful size (18" x 2 1/2") rather than its gripping potential.  I don't really get on with it.  It grips fine, that's no problem, but the gripping bit is yellow stuff painted along all the inch lines on the back of the ruler.  These yellow lines are about 1/4" wide and translucent and I sometimes find it hard to line up the ruler marks accurately with some colour fabrics especially when the light is a bit iffy.
Life's too short for ironing.

supergran

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 11:12:11 AM »
I bought some fabric grabbers from EZ Quilting for my 6 1/2 inch square ruler and found they grabbed rather too well. I found it hard to place it in the exact position as it wouldn't slide. Then I found that as the dots are about 1/8 inch thick, the ruler stood proud of the fabric so the edge of the fabric could move while I was cutting and wasn't accurate enough. I peeled the grabbers off and the residue made it much easier to use. The Creative Grids rulers are pretty good although after a number of years of heavy use the non slip wears off a bit. I may try the true cut rings next time. The sand paper rings are good but you have to be very careful where you place them.

Sewingsue

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 12:21:52 PM »
I started with Omnigrid rulers - mainly because that's what the shop which ran the beginners class stocked. I really wasn't that keen on them, probably the same problem Ploshkin had with seeing the lines.
I am a definite fan of Creative Grids rulers and use them for a lot of jobs other than cutting patchwork.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

StitchinTime

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 16:21:14 PM »
I was in Abakhan today and I noticed this non-slip grip sheet from Stix-2. It can be cut to size and would not obscure ruler marks as it is clear.

I might be tempted to go back at get some as it was less than £2 and I expect one A4 sheet one cut could be sufficient for many rulers.

Lizzy777

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 17:28:16 PM »
Thanks for posting this Stitch. It's a great tip! I just ordered some online and the p&p is free.

I also got some finger protectors too. Might come in handy.

Kenora

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 23:52:46 PM »
Looks good.  :D

I love the reviewer who says they would "defiantly" recommend this product.  :) -<